Dillon 1050 question

Terry Schultz

NES Member
On the Dillon 1050 are there enough stations to have a deprime and size, prime, powder fill and flair the case mouth, powder check, Mr. Bullet feeder, seating die & crimp die.

I was just wondering because I have to choose between a Mr. Bullet feeder and a powder check station on my 650. If I can get all the things in a Dillon 1050 I might consider it and I don’t have anyone local I can ask.

On the Dillon 1050 are there enough stations to have a deprime and size, prime, powder fill and flair the case mouth, powder check, Mr. Bullet feeder, seating die & crimp die.

I was just wondering because I have to choose between a Mr. Bullet feeder and a powder check station on my 650. If I can get all the things in a Dillon 1050 I might consider it and I don’t have anyone local I can ask.
I have a 1050. You could do that by using a combination seat-crimp die.

Yes there is room... but in all honesty powder check is useless on most caliber depending on powder... I run the exact setup you talking about with 2 presses and auto drives

A few months ago on FB in one of the reloading/Dillon groups I am in, a guy was showing off his design for a bullet feeder that is fed by a Mr Bullet Feeder, but the bullet doesn't get dropped from above thru a die. What happens is a powder check die comes down, checks the powder, then on the upstroke an arm comes in from the side and drops the bullet in the case at the before the case leaves the powder check station.
It was a slick design, and was going to eliminate the need to get a seat/crimp die and run standard Dillon dies.
But of course, I cannot find his info.

It's a useless gadget. More trouble than it's worth. If you want to run a bullet feeder, absolutely get rid of the powder check and keep separate seating and crimping dies.
I run an RCBS Lock-Out immediately after the powder charge. Useless? Really? Can you explain in what sense it is without use, i.e., useless?

I dropped the powder check to add a Mr. Bullet feeder. After 1000's of rounds I have never had an over or under charge. I easily watch to ensure the powder dropped. I am running the 650 on a Mark 7 auto drive with separate seating and crimping dies. I am very happy with the set up.

A few months ago on FB in one of the reloading/Dillon groups I am in, a guy was showing off his design for a bullet feeder that is fed by a Mr Bullet Feeder, but the bullet doesn't get dropped from above thru a die. What happens is a powder check die comes down, checks the powder, then on the upstroke an arm comes in from the side and drops the bullet in the case at the before the case leaves the powder check station.
It was a slick design, and was going to eliminate the need to get a seat/crimp die and run standard Dillon dies.
But of course, I cannot find his info.

Do you know if the device is for sale someplace or did he just make the one for himself? If they are for sale can you point me in the right direction to find one?

Someone needs to make a powder check that uses a laser mounted between stations. IDK, maybe something like this exists. I don’t have a 1050 or an auto drive. I think they are mesmerizing in action though.

I run an RCBS Lock-Out immediately after the powder charge. Useless? Really? Can you explain in what sense it is without use, i.e., useless?

The Dillon powder check will detect a case with a double charge or no charge. It is not meant to be a replacement for paying attention to everything that is happening on the press with every stroke of the handle. In the case of the OP, he is placing the bullet on the case each time, that means he is looking at the case anyway, a visual inspection of the charged case will obviously show a double charge or lack of charge. So, yeah, the dillon powder check system is useless. Visual inspection can and should still be done while running a bullet feeder.

Yes, I look inside each case while loading, it takes no extra time, and is effortless with the press at the proper bench height.

Unless you back up the press to fix a jam it’s highly unlikely to wind up with no charge.. or double charge.....

I’m actually a huge fan of the Hornady seat crip combo die.... work great let’s me keep the powder check..... powder check probably isn’t worth it....but I got all the alarms .... it makes it pretty difficult to make a mistake..... I’ve reloaded close to 200,000 rds... only real issue I’ve experienced is one case head separation...... I reload my brass until failure

When I had my 550, before the 650, I’d always watch the powder measure run in the stroke and look in the case anyhow. The only think powdercheck did for me was change where I looked.

I’ve never bothered with the lockout/powder cop dies. Been reloading for about 5 years now and haven’t lost any fingers yet. But to each their own I guess.

Back
Top Bottom