• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Different types of "gun violence" require different solutions

StevieP

NES Member
Whenever there's a (usually mass, involving children) shooting, the demanding moms, teenagers marching for their lives, and others from the liberal left immediately call for more gun control. UBC's! Mag bans! "Assault weapons" bans. Waiting periods. Ban the ammo! and on and on...

It seems to me we should be more prepared to argue against these calls to emotion. Of course, none of whatever they're suggesting ever could or would prevent a crime, but they demand government take action anyway.

It also seems to me that there are different types of "gun violence," which each may require different responses. None of which include bans or anything else they suggest. What *are* some good suggested responses for each category (assuming *any* response is truly needed)?

1) Suicides. Suicide makes up 66% of all gun "violence." These people plan it long in advance. delays won't help. they only need one shot, so mag limits don't apply. usually w/ a handgun, so AWB doesn't apply. Get these people some help!

2) "Inner city" violence. You know what I mean. Mostly young, mostly POC with no morals and no impulse control, shoot each other. Include armed robberies. Gang & drug shootings. Most of these perpetrators have been arrested multiple times previously. Shooting someone isn't their first felony. Fewer cops, and more social workers doesn't seem to be the answer here. Having intact families would help. How do we mandate that??

3) "Mass" shootings including schools. These are the mental defectives who plan things out weeks or months in advance. They have manifestos. They're not criminals until they commit their crimes. But they're almost all psychotic, on SSRIs, and feel society owes them something for perceived disrespect. How do you prevent that with a law?? Hardening schools will help. But there are plenty of other places (Vegas?) other than schools where nutcases go off the deep end. The shooters rarely have any relationship with the victims. The victims just happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time when the shooter goes off.

4) Crimes of passion. Family shootings. murder-suicides. I include workplace violence in this category, as the assailants and victims usually know each other. Something built up to it. Someone pushed someone over the edge. Even if there are multiple victims, I don't include them with other "mass shootings" as the parties know each other.

5) Actual "accidental" shootings where kids get ahold of guns they shouldn't have access to, and misery results. Common sense should prevail. Sadly having good sense isn't as common as we might like.

6) Other "categories" we should consider?

I'm coming from the "Disarming good people makes nobody safer" camp. I can't see how ANY "gun control" law could prevent any of the above. But when someone demands it, what do we suggest otherwise? How do we keep these well-meaning but ill-advised people from having the same knee-jerk reaction EVERY TIME? We ought to be all working together toward real solutions, without wasting our time and playing perpetual defense with our rights. Rights are not subject to the popular vote.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I think the root issue is a) people believe what they are told and b) they ESPECIALLY believe it if it matches their ideology and world view. People get defensive when you start to question their cognitive dissonance and worldview. How can we combat that (I mean, rhetorically, peacefully, with words)? Even if you show people specific, verified examples that they are wrong, published in legacy/corporate media, it still doesn't matter. It usually takes some kind of very harsh, personal experience to change someone's mind, like being a victim of crime.

ETA: these people are brainwashed. Maybe we need to figure out how people are convinced to leave a cult or somesuch?

I don't know my response to any shooting situation would be pretty much the same draw weapon aim for largest point of exposed flesh put two rounds there if threat is still viable rinse repeat and lather

Fwiw... "Gun violence" itself is a term invented by antis to advance their agenda. Never use it, unless you want to have "im an anti" on your forehead.

The root of most of the stuff you're talking about is a result of poor mental health policy (with all those fun nutbag Rxs they give out ) plus a generalized decay of social structures/values. You want to know why boys become gangbangers? Because they have no fathers, or any other positive male role models. Among a whole host of other things. *Innocent people getting shot isn't so much a thing by itself as it is a symptom of some other social disease.

Fwiw... "Gun violence" itself is a term invented by antis to advance their agenda. Never use it, unless you want to have "im an anti" on your forehead.

The root of most of the stuff you're talking about is a result of poor mental health policy (with all those fun nitbah Rxs they give out ) plus a generalized decay of social structures/values. You want to know why boys become gangbangers? Because they have no fathers, or any other positive male role models. Among a whole host of other things. People getting shot isn't so much a thing by itself as it is a symptom of some other social disease.

Yeah I put it in air quotes for a reason...

The teenagers are the big constituency demanding change lately. They are rightfully sick and damned tired of seeing other kids getting shot. How do we impress upon that generation that abdicating their own civil rights in the face of horror, solves nothing? Giving more and more control to .gov results in less and less freedom. How do we protect the next generations of good Americans from whatever threats they may face? Far left or right extremism? Racial divide? Religious fanatics? Political unrest? How DARE our generation put them in peril in direct opposition to our own Constitution by allowing the future to be disarmed?

Agree 100% I was trying to find some facts about worldwide mass murders the other day. To squelch an argument I was having with a lefty gun owner. If you use the term 'mass murders worldwide' or anything of that nature in a google search you'll get page after page of 'mass shootings' primarily in the US and all of the liberal bullshit that goes with it.

Also the lefties love to argue that more guns equal more gun deaths. They don't say more guns equal more deaths. There is a big difference.

If I were the principal of a school and the kids walked out, I'd suspend every one of them for 3 days.

There was a walkout in a town near me. These kids around here don't know how damned lucky they are to be so distanced and disconnected from the misery and violence of urban schools around the country. It's all phony, bullshit manufactured outrage being driven by a couple of leftist parents and teachers and social media.

Are they really though? Or is that what the noisebox is saying? There's a difference.
Granted I have a limited sample size but my daughter (now 23) was (probably is still) very visible on this. She didn't care how she just wanted it to stop. If it was school security, gun bans, weekly background checks, she didn't care. Her social circle (varying from 4 to 10 people any given week) all of the same mind. They were organizing walk outs in schools, talking to reporters and generally making no secret of it.

Now when adults made the connection to me and they would ask how I felt about her speaking up...knowing that I am generally pro gun, I would say something like "Well, I have to say that I am proud that I raised a daughter who feels confident enough to stand up for what she believes in, I obviously see firearms and gun control very differently, but this is one of those I'll fight for your right to say it situations"

What about knife violence?
Car violence?
Hammer violence?
Fist violence?

Etc.

Going to blow a gasket next time I hear gun violence

The average like 14-17 year old would wear a che Guevara hoodie if it meant he could get access to possibly banging some dumb commie girl, without much care for meaning of that shirt.... i guess what im getting at l, it doesn't take much motivation to get kids to be disruptive. That doesn't mean that even a statistically significant % know or actually care about the issue. Or would even reliably vote on that issue once they're adults. The only reason kids are even politically aware is because of the constant dousing of brainwashing and drivel from social media though. Even thren, if you're like 15 why would you care?

I think prior to owning guns the only thing i knew about politics as a kid was that both sides liked stealing money from people (via taxes) and one side was way worse than the other with that (dems) and supposedly the republicans stole a lot less, but had this penchant for waving bibles around and bombing brown people... but i didn't give a shit other than seeing government as being sort of generically evil by default.

What about knife violence?
Car violence?
Hammer violence?
Fist violence?

Etc.

Going to blow a gasket next time I hear gun violence

Agreed. But this is a gun site. And people other than us gave glommed on to the phrase "gun violence." If nothing else I'd like it if this thread might help us be able to change that narrative

The average like 14-17 year old would wear a che Guevara hoodie if it meant he could get access to possibly banging some dumb commie girl, without much care for meaning of that shirt.... i guess what im getting at l, it doesn't take much motivation to get kids to be disruptive. That doesn't mean that even a statistically significant % know or actually care about the issue. Or would even reliably vote on that issue once they're adults. The only reason kids are even politically aware is because of the constant dousing of brainwashing and drivel from social media though. Even thren, if you're like 15 why would you care?

I think prior to owning guns the only thing i knew about politics as a kid was that both sides liked stealing money from people (via taxes) and one side was way worse than the other with that (dems) and supposedly the republicans stole a lot less, but had this penchant for waving bibles around and bombing brown people... but i didn't give a shit other than seeing government as being sort of generically evil by default.
Sorry to burst your bubble on that one......it's democrats that have historically kept this country in some level of a perpetual state of war, both internally and externally.

As for the Che Tshirt wearing teen.....they need to be stripped of their shirt and smashed with a folding chair.... WWF style. [laugh]

Agreed. But this is a gun site. And people other than us gave glommed on to the phrase "gun violence." If nothing else I'd like it if this thread might help us be able to change that narrative
Well, start by not repeating it and calling it what it is. Violence. Correct people who use “gun violence”, to just “violence”.

And I said the next time I hear it “gun violence” and you HAD to say it (messing with you, but still) I’ll blow a gasket. And I swear if @Broc changes his screen name to gasket it won’t end well (for him) lol

The premise isn't bad. Deaths with guns are definitely caused under different circumstances, and it would be nice if we could all agree that they might have different solutions (if we can, and if they do).

The problem is that both sides are extremists by now. Our side, strengthened by the constitution and eroded by decades of nibbling laws that infringe on that constitution, are tired of "giving in" and are unlikely to support ANY additional gun legislation (I certainly won't).

The other side cannot possibly admit, that guns in the hands of citizens EVER have any purpose other than hunting, which they're well aware few Americans do anymore. They'll never accept the notion that there are legitimate times and places where citizens carrying guns are doing so not because they're homicidal maniacs, but because they're prudent.

That mutual extremism is likely to drown out any nuance. Hell, it already does, every day. So... nice try, OP, but I think we're way past the point where reasonable people can sit down and figure this out. We're undergoing group polarization, which doesn't have an easy out.

Well, start by not repeating it and calling it what it is. Violence. Correct people who use “gun violence”, to just “violence”.

And I said the next time I hear it “gun violence” and you HAD to say it (messing with you, but still) I’ll blow a gasket. And I swear if @Broc changes his screen name to gasket it won’t end well (for him) lol

I don't need any mouth violence from you, I will not change my SN.

Sorry to burst your bubble on that one......it's democrats that have historically kept this country in some level of a perpetual state of war, both internally and externally.

I realize that now, but as a dumb teenager that's what i thought at the time.

As for the Che Tshirt wearing teen.....they need to be stripped of their shirt and smashed with a folding chair.... WWF style. [laugh]

Yes I agree but at the time you think that they would know any better? I mean when I was a kid I knew he was a commie douchebag but I doubt most of my peers really did. 🤣

The premise isn't bad. Deaths with guns are definitely caused under different circumstances, and it would be nice if we could all agree that they might have different solutions (if we can, and if they do).

The problem is that both sides are extremists by now. Our side, strengthened by the constitution and eroded by decades of nibbling laws that infringe on that constitution, are tired of "giving in" and are unlikely to support ANY additional gun legislation (I certainly won't).

The other side cannot possibly admit, that guns in the hands of citizens EVER have any purpose other than hunting, which they're well aware few Americans do anymore. They'll never accept the notion that there are legitimate times and places where citizens carrying guns are doing so not because they're homicidal maniacs, but because they're prudent.

That mutual extremism is likely to drown out any nuance. Hell, it already does, every day. So... nice try, OP, but I think we're way past the point where reasonable people can sit down and figure this out. We're undergoing group polarization, which doesn't have an easy out.
Almost every generation thinks it couldn’t get any worse. We can read about history but it’s like the weather - a worst storm "in living memory" is treated as worse than a far worse storm in the history books. And the most motivated Left are young, so Obama/Trump/Biden is a huge part of their adult history. Aside from the motivated extremes and/or self-selected respondents, 60-70% of US residents are very hard to survey.

Measures of public sentiment go back 80+ years, but since the rise and fall of the landline telephone mid-50s to ~2012, valid random polling has fallen on hard times. Even election exit polls have been iffy on validity since 1968, when a 60% turnout was last reached. While 2020 reached new “turnout” heights, the large mail-in vote made valid exit polls impossible. So, we don’t really know what most of us think anymore about anything and polls are just political tools to influence politicians and eligible voters.

The largest mass protests in the US amounted to 2-8% of the population if you believe liberally-motivated journalists, which is still less than 1/2 of the Liberal extremists. Most couldn’t be bothered to stop shit-posting on social media to go outside. Polarization is real if voters and politicians think it’s real and the liberal media have a vested interest in fabricating reality.

But yes, perceived polarization is indeed extreme. It will either cycle back down or reach escape velocity. Plenty of Democratic influencers wrote books, blogs and podcasts on Civil War 2.0 starting at the 2022 elections but revised their forecasts to 2024. While they implicate Neo-Nazis and White Supremacists in starting said CW2, their goal was to rally their troops to respond - "their troops" aka Biden’s government to supply forces, Antifa to instigate violence and the liberal media to fabricate the war.

Guns? While the Left appears to be loosing the battle, they haven’t conceded the war. They virtually own the regulatory and financial processes, with the ability to twist technology and manufacturing to their ends. The 2024 election may be a tipping point.

It's unfortunately mental masturbation because none of it matters. You could come up with a solution that makes perfect sense but if the end result is that regular people are still allowed to own guns the other side won't accept it. "Gun violence" isn't the actual problem that TPTB are interested in solving.

It's a common misconception that Republicans are war-mongers and dems are peace-loving. I got into an argument with my mom about this, and pointed out that WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam all started when a Dem was president, and Korea and Vietnam ended when a Rep. signed a peace treaty. She said it was "coincidence" haha. But in truth both parties are remarkably similar on foreign policy, even sharing the various apparatchiks in the state department that actually execute foreign policy. For instance, Victoria Nuland "served" under multiple administrations, helping to get us into several wars and fomenting several color revolutions around the world.

Back on topic: Here is an article that might be helpful. I just skimmed it but am planning on reading and using the pointers when discussing this with issue:

The Definitive Guide to Helping People Trapped in a Cult

Key points​

• Be patient and respectful when asking questions.
  • Teach by sharing similar examples and experiences.
  • Learn about mind control techniques.
  • Work to establish a relationship and connect with your friend or family member, which will build trust.

I can't see how ANY "gun control" law could prevent any of the above.
it is not difficult to see. the politicians see no solution to reduce violence, so they push hard to enforce any possible methods to make violent types less effective.
the only way they see it done is by declaring it illegal to have on your person any types of cold or hot weapons - knives, pistols, any types of guns.
they push hard for regular law abiding citizens restrictions, as they do not really care of what organized and career criminals are doing.

the rhetorics and other hypocrisy they use as a justification are not relevant to the cause. the whole world predominately is separated between lawful and 3rd world countries. lawful ones are ruled by complete dominance of governments that effectively strip off any freedom of individuals that may relate to any justification of any violence - no matter the reason or application - no self defense, no weapons, no right to object the terror. if you`re not happy about getting raped - you can file your complaint into a dedicated department and it will be addressed in its due time. meanwhile turn your face other direction to avoid seeing your rapist and try to get some satisfaction from the process.

Back
Top Bottom