• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Different sized pre-ban Glock mags?

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Are there different size Glock 19 mags? I have a couple pre-ban U-notch mags that I was sitting on for a while. I went to function check them in my Sub2000, only to see that they won't catch. They're too short. The baseplate hits the magwell before they lock into place. My 10rd ETS mags catch just fine. I compared the two and the U-notch are noticeably shorter. Is this common knowledge? I couldn't find any info on this online anywhere.

20181014_212613.jpg

Possibly stupid question but worth confirming...
It's definitely a dedicated G19 sub 2000, not a G17 or multi mag, correct?

To clarify, if G19 I'd be curious to know of it was always G19 or if was converted from multimag (or possibly G17). If converted, I'm wondering if it could be an issue with the mag release

Got any pics of the pistol grip of your kel tec? Also how does the notch on that preban look?

That preban is super old, no cal markings. That's when glock only made 9mm and they didn't need to mark mags.

Possibly stupid question but worth confirming...
It's definitely a dedicated G19 sub 2000, not a G17 or multi mag, correct?

Bought it definitely as a G19 brand new in box. I wanted Glock compatibility with as many different Glock mags as possible, which is why to picked the G19 over the G17.

Got any pics of the pistol grip of your kel tec? Also how does the notch on that preban look?

That preban is super old, no cal markings. That's when glock only made 9mm and they didn't need to mark mags.

The U-notches are in fairly good shape for their age (I have two from this vendor, and they are both too short). No cracks and the mag cutout still has crisp edges for the most part. It is just because the entire mag seems shorter that the cutout no longer lines up with the mag catch when inserted.

I took the baseplate off the U-notch, gutted it, and inserted just the mag sleeve into my Sub2000. The point where it actually seats and clicks into place, there's nothing left of the bottom of the mag sleeve sticking out of the bottom of the Sub2000 grip, meaning that there is no room for a baseplate.

Also, as a point of clarification on grip size of the Sub2000, I have two pre-ban square notch as well in G19, and those seat just fine.

The U-notches are in fairly good shape for their age (I have two from this vendor, and they are both too short). No cracks and the mag cutout still has crisp edges for the most part. It is just because the entire mag seems shorter that the cutout no longer lines up with the mag catch when inserted.

I took the baseplate off the U-notch, gutted it, and inserted just the mag sleeve into my Sub2000. The point where it actually seats and clicks into place, there's nothing left of the bottom of the mag sleeve sticking out of the bottom of the Sub2000 grip, meaning that there is no room for a baseplate.

Also, as a point of clarification on grip size of the Sub2000, I have two pre-ban square notch as well in G19, and those seat just fine.
Vintage U-notch factory Glock preban mags don't work in most Kel-Tec Sub 2K's

WTF is going on here. I am picking up a Sub2k (g19) later this week. I also recently acquired a couple g19 u notch preban mags. They clicked right into my G19 Gen4. I hope there is no issue with those mags in the sub 2k.

WTF is going on here. I am picking up a Sub2k (g19) later this week. I also recently acquired a couple g19 u notch preban mags. They clicked right into my G19 Gen4. I hope there is no issue with those mags in the sub 2k.

Might be a good idea to bring them along to be sure they work.

If not, the G17 version has a much more comfortable grip anyway.

I spoke with Kel-Tec about this a few days ago, his first response was to buy new mags, but after I told him about the beautiful state we live in he said the simple solution is to sand/grind down the magwell as best you can, I've done it twice now for my customers who purchased a G19 SUB2K. It's a little tricky to follow all of the lines, but go slow, take your time, and use a fine grit grinder/sander and be careful not to melt the material.

This is true. I just heard about this after I already ordered the G19 version from Ryan. Went to pick up the Sub 2000 today and took my G19 preban with me with me just to check fit. Guess what? It doesn't fit. Ryan offered to modify my grip on site and I took him up on it. Its not pretty, but it is now functional. While it sucks to have to modify the magwell of a brand new firearm; Ryan took the extra time and effort (at no cost) to make sure I was happy. Excellent service from Ryan on his part.

I spoke with Kel-Tec about this a few days ago, his first response was to buy new mags, but after I told him about the beautiful state we live in he said the simple solution is to sand/grind down the magwell as best you can, I've done it twice now for my customers who purchased a G19 SUB2K. It's a little tricky to follow all of the lines, but go slow, take your time, and use a fine grit grinder/sander and be careful not to melt the material.

Thanks for the leg work on the call. Was he saying the Sub2k handle is longer than an actual G19? I have a gen2, for the record. The two new 10rd ETS mags I have hang about 2-3mm below the Sub2k handle, meaning they appear to clear just fine. That would mean these older U-notch are definitely shorter than the current standard, as well as even older pre-ban squares.

Those other people you shaved these down for--did they run into the same issues? I'm just reluctant to shave mine down, as that will me a noticeable gap (and possible pinch point) when using newer mags.

Disregard. I didn't see the last post before I wrote this. That answers that I guess.

Ryan, or anyone else for that matter, do you know about any issues regarding fit or feed for any of the Glock 17 pre ban mags?

I have not heard about, or tested this yet. If you have any issues please let me know and I will be sure to take care of it.

Thanks for the leg work on the call. Was he saying the Sub2k handle is longer than an actual G19? I have a gen2, for the record. The two new 10rd ETS mags I have hang about 2-3mm below the Sub2k handle, meaning they appear to clear just fine. That would mean these older U-notch are definitely shorter than the current standard, as well as even older pre-ban squares.

Those other people you shaved these down for--did they run into the same issues? I'm just reluctant to shave mine down, as that will me a noticeable gap (and possible pinch point) when using newer mags.

Disregard. I didn't see the last post before I wrote this. That answers that I guess.

You will run into this problem with all Gen 2 G19 Sub2k's and U-Notch mags, the Mag well is too long. The gap isn't too bad, it's hard to get it to look good, but worth it if you want your pre-ban mags to fit correctly.

U notch mags don't seem to work in any of the rifles (sub 2k, vector, and not in the PC9)

The U notch mags do have a different floor plate than the square notch magazines. That is probably contributing to the issue. I would try a mag extension, I do not believe the newer floor plates will work on the u notch mags.

I have seen a similar issue with the ZEV magwells on the g19. New standard capacity mags work fine. square notch pre-bans work fine. u-notch pre-ban and new 10rders don't work. Different base plates and the ZEV has very tight tolerances on the magwell. Remove the baseplate and thin the lips OR modify the magwell to permit shorter mags.

It sounds like other manufacturers are also not accounting for magazine variability when designing their rifles

Good points. Just to confirm what I've experienced: If I take the base plate off my U notch G19 mag and insert it into my G19 handle Sub2k, there is literally nothing left sticking out the bottom once it clicks into place. It sits complete flush with the handle. That means no matter what base plates or extensions, it just won't work without shaving down the handle.

On the up shot, I did listen to what you guys were saying about newer glock base plates not working on old U notches. That appears to be one issue solved. The new base plates have way too much wiggle room on the older magwells, which would lead to them popping off under tension. Found some older base plates and those seem solid. I guess I'll just hold on to these U notch just in case I pick up a G19 in the future.

same problem with mine in .40 U no square yes. also read that filing down grip was a "work around" decided to find a couple more square instead...

The length of the magazine tube is marginally shorter on the U-notch mags, from the mag catch notch to the base. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I will be taking a flat file to my Sub2K. Can't make it any uglier?

So, are there pre ban Glock 17 mags that work in a Aub2000 that aren't u-notch?

The square notch prebans appear to be closer in dimension to modern Glock mags (longer), so they do work in Sub2k. I'm running square G19 in my G19 handle Sub2k without issue. So if you happen to have G17 squares, that should theoretically work for both G17 and G19 Sub2k handles. I'm also pretty sure a G7 U notch would work with a G19 Sub2k handle.

The square notch prebans appear to be closer in dimension to modern Glock mags (longer), so they do work in Sub2k. I'm running square G19 in my G19 handle Sub2k without issue. So if you happen to have G17 squares, that should theoretically work for both G17 and G19 Sub2k handles. I'm also pretty sure a G7 U notch would work with a G19 Sub2k handle.
Thanks for the info !

Back
Top Bottom