• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Different AR Optic help

Could anyone recommend a good quality (NOT CHINESE) optic for a new Bushmaster Predator rifle? Looking for some magnification here for use 100-300 yards (mostly on the lower end, probably 100-150 yards) Prefer to keep cost at a reasonable level for now, since I'm about broke from buying too many "things" lately. Thanks to all.

I am not an optics snob, but I can tell the difference between junk and a decent scope.

I have a cheap Tasco 3-9x40, and it is quite nice. It cost me under $50 I think, and I don't know how it would hold up under severe conditions, but for plinking I have no complaints. It holds zero, it has no distortion at the edges of the field of view, it is a nice clear view, etc.

I am not an optics snob, but I can tell the difference between junk and a decent scope.

I'm no snob either, I just want to spend my money on quality equipment. Putting a cheap scope on a fine rifle is like taking Elle McPherson out to dinner and going to McDonalds. I'd rather wait and save up than put some Chinese crap on just to complete a rifle package. I have always done the same with camera lenses I own, kind of the same thing, I guess.

Putting a cheap scope on a fine rifle is like taking Elle McPherson out to dinner and going to McDonalds.

Hey,as long as the end result is pie,who cares what ya had for dinner ? [smile] I'm the same way,instead of buying a TacPoint,I just went without an optic until I saved enough for an Aimpoint M3.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Super Snipers.

Could anyone recommend a good quality (NOT CHINESE) optic for a new Bushmaster Predator rifle?

Chris, Mildly off topic, but how do you like it so far? (initial impressions, etc)... I was
thinking about buying one of those. (A Predator). If you do put a Super Sniper
on it, tell us how it works....

-Mike

Mike-all indications are that the Predator is a keeper. I had it apart this morning to clean up the factory gunk. I'm waiting for a range report from a friend on the Super Sniper optic, and if that report is positive, I'll get one. My other option for glass is a Nikon Tactical model from SWFA's floor model clearance section. Like I said in the OP, I dodn't want Chinese crap. The Japanese optics are excellent, though. I'm also keeping my eyes open on e-bay for a set of ARMS rings. The Predator came with 1/2" blocks for lifting the rings off the flat-top surface. I'm 99.9% sure it is identical to the Varminter model with a 20" rather than a 24" barrel. I think the 20" is more practical. I also plan to add a flip-up iron sight package at some point.

I use a Leupold VX1 3x9, life-time warrantee ($200), sale @ Cabellas on a Larue mount.($195.00).

tracy2ww0.jpg

Shown is the old RRA mount I removed. I've since replaced it with the Larue. because I couldn't get the proper eye relief.

call FS they had some Tasco variable in the store under a hundred.
Speaking of optics Ijust put a red dot on my DPMS if the weather is decent nxt week end I'll take it out and see if I can actually hit something.

Back
Top Bottom