• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Difference in quality between AR15 parts kits?

I'm curious what people think of the relative quality of the generally available AR parts kits. I've seen Busmaster, Rock River, Stag, DPMS, and Olympia versions all at $62-$75. They all appear to have the same components more or less but I'm wondering if anyone has a preference born of experience. Good experience, Bad experience?

Thoughts?

Do you have a favorite brand? If so why?

RD

I've used Bushmaster parts in 2 of my builds and RRA in 1.

All parts fit and functioned just fine... no problems with burrs, rough spots or edges, casting marks, etc.

No particular reason why I went with those two manufacturers other than I just happened to be ordering other parts from them at the time.

It wouldn't surprise me if any of the manufacturers made any of their parts kits in house and that they're all produced by the same 2-3 suppliers.

I've been using DPMS with no problems. I picked up a few when Midway had them on sale for $42.

ETA: I just checked on the price. Midway has them for $47.49 with a C&R discount. They also got the highest ratings of any that Midway sells.

Last edited:
I've used Bushmaster parts in 2 of my builds and RRA in 1.

All parts fit and functioned just fine... no problems with burrs, rough spots or edges, casting marks, etc.

No particular reason why I went with those two manufacturers other than I just happened to be ordering other parts from them at the time.

It wouldn't surprise me if any of the manufacturers made any of their parts kits in house and that they're all produced by the same 2-3 suppliers.

How is the trigger on the RRA compared to the Bushy? Either one more difficult to install
than the other?

How is the trigger on the RRA compared to the Bushy? Either one more difficult to install
than the other?

As long as your receiver is in spec, installation is as simple as simple can get.

There was quiet a bit of noticeable trigger creep with both units, but I suspect that's common with ARs anyways.

Later on, I replaced the trigger group on one of my ARs with a RRA 2 stage trigger which helped significantly.

There are probably better 2 stage trigger kits out there, but for short money the RRA one was a worthwhile buy.

I've been using DPMS with no problems. I picked up a few when Midway had them on sale for $42.

ETA: I just checked on the price. Midway has them for $47.49 with a C&R discount. They also got the highest ratings of any that Midway sells.

Great tip. Thanks EC.

Ok, so it sounds like consensus is that as long as your purchasing one of the "name" bands you're probably ok.

I just ordered 4 DPMS kits from Midway.

Time to start building.

All LPK triggers are serviceable but not great. That's the one thing I usually upgrade.

Of the three aftermarket FCGs I'm currently using, I would rate them like this.

Jewell... Top of the line, Fully adjustable, single or two stage.
Accuracy speaks...Awesome single stage, breaks around 4lb.
RR national match...Very nice, two stage.

All my triggers are single stage, although on two of them I swapped out the stock generic springs with standard ones from Bushmaster and DPMS, respectively.

My friend's Armalite AR-15 seems to have non-milspec parts in the lower. When we went to install a new RRA National Match trigger, it would not fire. It turned out that the safety lever was too thick in the middle portion that prevents the sear from moving. We had to file down this portion until the hammer would drop.

On a side note, I also found that his chamber was not quite to spec. My Atkinson .22LR conversion kit got hung up by the locking lugs or some burr or something in that area. Again, all of these after market parts worked fine in my Stag.

I guess you would think that Armalite would be fantastic, but their parts seemed to be out of spec. Granted, his rifle is very reliable with the stock Armalite parts it came with, but it doesn't seem to work well with generic milspec parts.

Last edited:
I have used the DPMS LPK and have had problems with the front and year 1/4 push pins and detentes sticking and not being to open the action and as easily break the rifles down that have the DPMS LPK than any other MFG LPK's.

Has anyone had this experience ?

Or should I not expect the parts to work correctly until after they are warn in?

I have used small ball bearings in the past in place of the detent pin and a slightly longer spring and that worked OK.

Is there a after market solution for this problem ?

I will be building a large number of Ar's after the uppers have been found and would like to find a solution for all of them.

I have used the DPMS LPK and have had problems with the front and year 1/4 push pins and detentes sticking and not being to open the action and as easily break the rifles down that have the DPMS LPK than any other MFG LPK's.

Has anyone had this experience ?

Or should I not expect the parts to work correctly until after they are warn in?

I have used small ball bearings in the past in place of the detent pin and a slightly longer spring and that worked OK.

Is there a after market solution for this problem ?

I will be building a large number of Ar's after the uppers have been found and would like to find a solution for all of them.

I used a DPMS LPK with no problems...maybe I got a good one [laugh]

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I put the Brownells items on my xmas wish list.

Don't tell anyone but I bought 5 rifles as value storage for the future recently and I'm broke.

BTW dont scrimp on buying ammo as the mfgs expect to see a 50-100% rise on price because of a raised excise tax on mfg in the first quarter of 09.

Back
Top Bottom