• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Did the shortage change your plans?

It did for me. I was always thinking that to limit myself to one or two handgun, and maybe 2 rifle calibers would be a good idea. Now, I plan on purchasing more with a SHTF state of mind. If a simple thing like an election, or even a rumor, can cause such a shortage, what would the shelves of the gun stores look like if the doodoo really flies into the air dispenser? Wouldn't it make more sense to own a gun or two in an oddball caliber like .41S&W, or .38 super? A rifle in .303 or .280?

Thoughts?

I was going to buy a .44 lever-action, but the fact that I can't find .44 for a non-full-retard price (aka haven't seen it at Walmart in months) kinda turned me off. Someday.

If you're worried about a SHTF scenario, wouldn't you want more common calibers not less common calibers? I've never looked for those calibers, but I'm guessing Walmart or even your LGS doesn't have a huge pile of antique ammo. Couldn't you just take the money you were going to spend on oddball caliber guns/ammo, buy a bunch of overpriced 9mm and call it a day?

P.S. I use the term "antique" loosely here.

P.P.S. If stores do have a shitload of antique ammo, I will figuratively eat my hat.

I was ready to purchase an AR - I was hoping to have enough saved up by the first of the year. Now I'm starting to wonder if the prices will ever get back to normal so I can afford one.

It changed for me. I had the state of mind that "I'll get an AR eventually, no rush". That went out the window. I ran out and grabbed a standard 5.56/.223 AR as soon as I could. Although I paid a huge markup I'm glad I have it. Now with all the group buys going on I'm planning on a 7.62x39 and .308 AR versions.

As for calibers, I'd like to have firearms in the most common. During this ammo shortage it's been hard enough to 9mm and .223, nevermind .380 auto for my bodyguard. And I don't think I've ever seen the calibers you've listed on store shelves. And if you planning for real SHTF/doomsday scenarios, if shit gets that bad, searching abandoned house/businesses for ammo chances are you're going to find a more popular caliber. This shortage has also made me realize that I need more on hand and that reloading is a good idea. I have yet to dive into that though.

If planning on a SHTF I'd also suggest spare parts for the firearms you have on hand. It would suck if something breaks and a replacement is unavailable.

yeah changed my plans. just got into guns right before this crap. got a sweet sks, few pre ban mags and 2,000 rounds. Still cheaper than any ak or ar in this market. Awesome riffle though.

Can't shoot as much as I'd like, so, yeah, it has effected me greatly--mainly the inability to get ammo.

If you're worried about a SHTF scenario, wouldn't you want more common calibers not less common calibers? I've never looked for those calibers, but I'm guessing Walmart or even your LGS doesn't have a huge pile of antique ammo. Couldn't you just take the money you were going to spend on oddball caliber guns/ammo, buy a bunch of overpriced 9mm and call it a day?

P.S. I use the term "antique" loosely here.

P.P.S. If stores do have a shitload of antique ammo, I will figuratively eat my hat.

That's the whole point: There is no 9, .45, 223, 308 out there. And the shit hasn't even come close to hit the fan. What if things really go downhill? People would be after the common stuff even more than they are now.
I guess, stockpiling after things have calmed down might be a better way than to try to find .45GAP. As for 223, it wouldn't be my first choice anyway. But I am considering a bolt stick in 7mm08 right now.

I am scrambling trying to find ammo (just got renewal) to save not shoot. Started buying extra mags and parts for my AR15 that I had put off for years. I cant belive parts like springs are out of stock! Im thinking they are going to tax ammo to make it unaffordable so I want at least 1000rnds saved up.

nope, this is just what I was expecting for some time... I'm shooting less until the ammo train is reasonable again though.

It hasn't changed my plans regarding which firearms I own. But it most certainly has changed my plans regarding my training regimen. I no longer believe that I can maintain the level of proficiency I desire.

I suppose there may be a benefit to having something chambered in an uncommon round - in addition to having the more common ones. Last time I looked in the ammo case at Walmart, they had no common calibers but several boxes each of .22 short, .380, .44LC, .45GAP, 7mm, and .270. Of course if you were really worried about TSHTF, you'd have a stockpile already and not be paying today's prices for whatever you can get your hands on.

Not really. We had been stocking up on ammunition for a while, so the shortage hasn't hurt us yet. As for firearms purchasing, it hasn't changed that either. Recently purchased a new shotgun and a used 380 pocket pistol. I'm in the market for a H&K, but I can wait until I find a deal. Not interested in paying bend-over prices for anything.

It hasn't changed my plans regarding which firearms I own. But it most certainly has changed my plans regarding my training regimen. I no longer believe that I can maintain the level of proficiency I desire.

This.

I dry fired for a few hours this weekend. I'll be damned, I found the sweet spot on my trigger finger that doesn't make the gun all jittery when the trigger breaks. That's a few hundred rounds that didn't have to leave my safe but I still got to work on technique. No, it wasn't as fun but the price was right.

The last shortage taught me to standardize my calibers.

The only thing that this shortage has changed the amount of range trips that I have made and also got me thinking about other weaponary (steel) that isn't contingent upon having ammo.

Stick with popular calibers and there will be plenty on the battlefield.

Sitck with the ammo you have weapons for. Why bother 'investing" in ammo when you cant use it?
If your really are in a needing/ shooting sitution a heck of a lot of good that "investment" ammo will do you!

Stick with the weapons/ammo that the military/police will use ...9mm/5.56.
First off they will be the majority of the ammo's / weapons "acquired" in a fire fight.
9mm and 5.56/.223 is the most domestic type ammo used in the USA so better for sale and trade.

But when your down to your last round of 5.56 and see that case of 40 cal you bought ... you don't want your last thougts to be
" but I could have made so much on that case of ammo!"

Last edited:
As long as I have black powder,and lead I am all set with my flintlock rifle & pistol.

I have built my collection around standardization. However looking at what is available at my Walmart my next purchase will be a 270 bolt gun or a 22/45.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Yea changed everything for me. Was gunna pick up A 1911 but had to spend my money on KY jelly to go with my ammo purchase. I now have herpes

Back
Top Bottom