• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Did Santa leave a MilSurp in your stocking?

I must have been bad the past 10+ years I dont even get coal.
I spent Xmas day painting.
kids took all of 5 min to open gifts and be extremely under impressed and went back to bed.

Santa didn't, so I took matters into my own hands...I got a book, a pair of socks and a coffee mug for Christmas, so I decided to pick myself up something yesterday with my C&R and be my own St. Nicholas.

It's always a nice day when you log something in your bound book...ammo on its way from Targetsports. Got some reloading dies with a gift card from Amazon I got a while ago, and some projectiles on sale from a favorite vendor, so I should be able to reload the brass.

Picking up something else, too, but not a C&R - 22lr Walther PPK/S for the suppressor I bought a year and a half ago and never used (although in fairness it was in NFA jail until July).

ok,, well this is a milsurp forum!!! what did a get!!! you left that part out!!!

[pics]
OK, OK. One Swedish-made enlarger...err, Mauser.

M96/38 in 6.5x55. As many of you undoubtedly know, there was the M96 (long rifle), and the M38 short rifle. Many M96 were converted to M38s like this one. Commonly referred to as the M96/38 but in Swedish service all were called M38 in my understanding. There was an example of each for sale, I chose this one as it just felt the best to me, and as a lefty the bent bolt on the M38 offered no advantage. The M96 felt too long, this length is much handier. I did like the M38 they had as it was made by Husqvarna, and I like "silly" things like that (for example M1 carbines by IBM, etc.). I spent a while trying to decide and went with my first instinct, which was the 96/38.

The early M96 were made in Germany for Sweden, if I recall. This one was made at Carl Gustafs Stads Gevärsfaktori. I cannot find an import mark anywhere unlike the M96 and the M38 they had for sale, either. So I am guessing this one's been in the US for some time.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

As you can see in the pics, the Swedes really liked putting the crown mark on everything.
I have some plain PPU and one box of PPU match on the way as well as dies and bullets as I mentioned. I think in a few weeks I'll see what shoots best.

Last edited:
OK, OK. One Swedish-made enlarger...err, Mauser.

M96/38 in 6.5x55. As many of you undoubtedly know, there was the M96 (long rifle), and the M38 short rifle. Many M96 were converted to M38s like this one. Commonly referred to as the M96/38 but in Swedish service all were called M38 in my understanding. There was an example of each for sale, I chose this one as it just felt the best to me, and as a lefty the bent bolt on the M38 offered no advantage. The M96 felt too long, this length is much handier. I did like the M38 they had as it was made by Husqvarna, and I like "silly" things like that (for example M1 carbines by IBM, etc.). I spent a while trying to decide and went with my first instinct, which was the 96/38.

The early M96 were made in Germany for Sweden, if I recall. This one was made at Carl Gustafs Stads Gevärsfaktori. I cannot find an import mark anywhere unlike the M96 and the M38 they had for sale, either. So I am guessing this one's been in the US for some time.

View attachment 320767View attachment 320768View attachment 320769View attachment 320771View attachment 320772View attachment 320773View attachment 320774View attachment 320775

As you can see in the pics, the Swedes really liked putting the crown mark on everything.
I have some plain PPU and one box of PPU match on the way as well as dies and bullets as I mentioned. I think in a few weeks I'll see what shoots best.

Very nice. I have a 1906 dated M96. Haven't shot it yet, but picked up some brass and components to load up for it.
-Mike

My Swede is a sporterized m96. Even though it's been altered, it does make for easier shooting, as it has a 2x EER scope which I find a bit handier than the iron sights. It's a hoot for reduced, economical cast/coated bullet loads, too.
I'd like to add one of the m94s to my inventory, but it's very low on the priority list. There's a similar looking Argentine Cavalry Carbine at a local shop, but I really don't need another caliber, even though I've reloaded plenty of 7.65 Argentine.

Oh, I should add that I have a B-Square scope mount, if anyone wants to put optics on your M96 (fits only M96; #18532). My rear sight base was altered for the scope mount I have.

Last edited:
Wow, I really like this rifle. Very comfortable to shoot and I was able to hit both circular and "strip" plates consistently.

I might need to take this down to Old Colony for a match this year. Going to try to do a comparison on ammo (including first reloads) soon.

20200103_143437.jpg

I have the Husky M38 and it's a real keeper. I had to put a taller 1.5 front sight on it to get it sighted in at 100 yards.
My Christmas present confirmation of order received just came in from the CMP for my IHC Special Grade Garand in .308 !
Swede Husky picture attached. IMG_0014.jpg

Yes 1945 #4T 303 and a 1949 #4 MkII in 7.62X51 both with brand new barrels.

lDZ8clx.jpg

vEHVdye.jpg

cQK0rkT.jpg

Happy New Year

Uk8H3OE.jpg

Found some old pics of the '99 on my backup drive.

t

Attachments

• DSCN2814.jpg
    DSCN2814.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN2815.jpg
    DSCN2815.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN2816.jpg
    DSCN2816.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN2820.jpg
    DSCN2820.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN2819.jpg
    DSCN2819.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN2818.jpg
    DSCN2818.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN2821.jpg
    DSCN2821.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN2869.JPG
    DSCN2869.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN2907 a.jpg
    DSCN2907 a.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN2924.jpg
    DSCN2924.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN2934.jpg
    DSCN2934.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 5
No......we were talking Swedish rifles....I mentioned my late '99 was the most accurate iron sight rifle I ever owned.

t

The last few I looked at had tiny tiny import marks on the underside of the barrel at the muzzle. Get a magnifier.

Back
Top Bottom