Dicks still going down, but still going hard, update post 157

Without hunting gear and guns, they are basically the same as the 85 other chain sporting goods stores that went under in the last 2 decades.

I wonder when the CEO is gonna get the boot.

They are just clearing space to make room for their black wednesday antifa outfitter sale this November.
They plan to sell lots of baseball bats, catcher gear, hockey goalie equipment, ski masks and sports helmets.
They are expecting a huge uptick of these items after the midterms.
It's a win-win. If there is a blue wave, the antifa people will be emboldened to ramp up their shit, if there is not a blue wave, the antifa people will feel it's their duty for further resistance.
They are also installing EBT cash machines at the front door, or planning on selling more qualifying food goods, so they can charge the whole thing to EBT cuz there is food in the purchase.

The CEO, who is the son of the founder, controls over 60% of the voting stock of the corporation. He's not going anywhere unless he wants to.

Had a conversation about Dick's with a fairly liberal client yesterday, showing how CEO's aren't there to be SJW's but to answer to shareholders. (With the usual "forget how you feel about guns, etc.,")

I told her Dick's would be out of business in 3-5 years because it would be like a movie theater stopping showing films but still selling popcorn.

Well, more like showing movies whilst getting all huffy about popcorn, heh.

Haven't bought from them since they announced their political crap. Biggest issue for me was their stance on 18-20 year old gun purchases. My son has an FID for hunting. He has gone through training, background checks, fingerprinting, etc. to have the "privilege " to exercise his 2nd amendment right. He doesn't deserve a store telling him that he still can't purchase at the legal age.

I actually mailed them a letter with my rewards card. The letter highlighted all the stuff I had bought from them in years past then told them I was done with them. Hunters don't just buy hunting equipment.

Of course, they probably don't care. I hope they file for bankruptcy.

Haven't bought from them since they announced their political crap. Biggest issue for me was their stance on 18-20 year old gun purchases. My son has an FID for hunting. He has gone through training, background checks, fingerprinting, etc. to have the "privilege " to exercise his 2nd amendment right. He doesn't deserve a store telling him that he still can't purchase at the legal age.

I actually mailed them a letter with my rewards card. The letter highlighted all the stuff I had bought from them in years past then told them I was done with them. Hunters don't just buy hunting equipment.

Of course, they probably don't care. I hope they file for bankruptcy.

Exactly. I never bought a firearm from any Dicks, just some discounted ammo and a cleaning kit. BUT literally spent thousands in sports gear, fitness, and bikes for the family. Thought about getting a Mossy Maverick from them but wasn't gonna do the perp walk when I can walk out the door out of an LGS carrying what I own. After the ammo registration experience I stopped buying boolits from them.

I wont ever step a foot in a Dicks again. I guess they ain't got any Mossbergs now anyway.

We have totally boycotted dicks....F them....edit.....dicks sporting goods.....male reproductive organs are still tact

These CEO's (the woke ones) have forgotten their one and only reason to exist is to provide a better value proposition to their customer. Period. Stunts like Dick's pulled do not fit that criteria and over time backfire. They think the loud public voices calling for some action is from their customer. They aren't. So they start to limit the SJW disfavored product/service in their stores and the death spiral for that category starts, then there is a subsequent impact throughout the organization.

These CEO's (the woke ones) have forgotten their one and only reason to exist is to provide a better value proposition to their customer. Period. Stunts like Dick's pulled do not fit that criteria and over time backfire. They think the loud public voices calling for some action is from their customer. They aren't. So they start to limit the SJW disfavored product/service in their stores and the death spiral for that category starts, then there is a subsequent impact throughout the organization.

I was thinking their number one job is increasing SHAREHOLDER value!

Pretty sure they go hand in hand a bit. If you hemorrhage your customer base and lose money, your shareholder's monetary gains doesn't usually go up...

Pretty sure they go hand in hand a bit. If you hemorrhage your customer base and lose money, your shareholder's monetary gains doesn't usually go up...
Yep that is my point. CEO is supposed to do what is best for company value, not go all foo foo on some p.c. Bullshit

I said this back when Dick decided to pull this. Shareholder value only. This too shall pass. At some point, stocks and companies who pander to SJW's will oust the progressive CEO's and hire someone to move the company fwd. If you are standing still, you are moving backwards. These SJW CEO's aren't moving fwd so they, by default, are moving backwards.

It's all a cycle.

"My sense is that we can either take a look at closing that store, that concept or reconceptualizing it into a more of an outdoor type concept [...]"
In other words, reinvent F&S as REI or EMS. REI's business model is as a cooperative, and IIRC EMS has gone bankrupt once already.

In other words, reinvent F&S as REI or EMS. REI's business model is as a cooperative, and IIRC EMS has gone bankrupt once already.
Too many of these companies sell too much garbage at too high prices. A north face jacket at Dick's is what.... $149? I'm going on year 8 or 9 with the same Dickies jacket I bought at Walmart for $20
Granted, it's made in Sri Lanka or something, but so is the north face jacket.

Nobody is going to push the CEO out. He controls over 60% of the voting stock.

"Get woke, go broke." After the incident I call The Pandering, gun sales dropped 80% at F&S. I said in March that I would not be surprised if Dick's got of the gun business completely. They crawled back up as people realized that Field & Stream had fair prices on a wide range of hunting rifles, shotguns and handguns. But Dick's has around 700 stores, and only 35 Field & Streams. Most of the F&S are in "combination stores" of around 100K square feet. The gun shop takes up less than 1/4 of a Field & Stream floor space. It would not be hard for the company to redefine that side of the store into a cheapo version of LLBean, which it already mostly is anyway, and profits would probably go up.

Fact is, gross profit margins on guns and ammo are quite small, much smaller than regular sports apparel and equipment.

Back
Top Bottom