Dick's Sporting Goods

I just got back a little while ago from the Dicks sporting good store in Natick. I picked up a nice Savage 111 Rifle in 30-06. I got there a little after 8PM and was out just a little before 9. It was quiet there so I didnt have to wait or have people behind me waiting crying lol. The process wasn't too bad, but I did have to read and sign some of the papers that Dicks require for a gun purchase which took some extra time. Then the manager had to be called over to give the final ok.
The kid behind the counter was "somewhat" knowledgeable about things- but I knew what I was looking for.

Now I cant wait to get out to the range!

I had a pretty good experience at the store in Danvers. The two guys there- George and Kevin I think- were good to work with. Prices were pretty good and they had some deals on some of the long guns.

I'll talk about a recent experience that I had making a firearms purchase @ DSG. I was in the store in Danvers and stopped by the "Lodge" just for the hell of it (as a "gun guy" you just can't help yourself). I saw that they actually had a very good price on a firearm that I have been interested in. Unfortunately, they did not have the specific caliber that I was interested in. I asked the sales clerk if he would call the Saugus store and see if they had the firearm I was interested in. He willingly obliged (so far, so good). It turned out that Saugus did have what I was interested in so I took a ride. When I got to the Saugus store a staffer who was working in the area of the gun counter asked me if I was "the guy" from Danvers. I said "I was", and I was told that the employee who was capable of performing a firearms transaction had waited for me for "a little while" (it took me 10-15 min. to drive from Danvers down RTE 1 to Saugus) but had now gone on break. It was suggested that I come back in about half an hour. I stated that I had driven to that location to purchase a firearm and for no other reason and that I would wait (It turned out to be about a 20 minute wait before the employee returned from his break).

Anyways, I agree with the previous posters who stated if you're looking for customer service..........Dick's probably ain't what you're looking for. I'm a MA BFS Instructor and I can't imagine what it would be like if a new FID/LTC holder went into DSG looking for advice/guidance on a firearms purchase. New shooters will have a much better experience if they deal with a knowledgeable, courteous staff like those found at Four Seasons in Woburn and The Shooters Box in Malden.(Update: I just read elsewhere in this forum that the Shooter's Box no longer has a retail location. Too bad. Steve is an excellent guy to deal with. I think he's still doing the internet thing though. Good Luck, Steve.)

Lastly, the one thing that did piss me off about my firearm purchase @ DSG was the extra (Dick's) form that they presented to me to fill out while purchasing my firearm. It asked for additional personal information including my e-mail and the number of children in my home under the age of eighteen. Now what the hell does that have to do with a firearms purchase? (You can guess I left it blank.) I left there feeling under-appreciated as a customer and wondering what their motive was for asking for the additional information...

Not recommended.

S

Last edited:
I went to Dick's in Pittsfield yesterday and bought some shotgun shells. The girl at the register declined to view the LTC I produced. She said it didn't come up on the computer as required. Has there been a change in the law that I missed?

I went to Dick's in Pittsfield yesterday and bought some shotgun shells. The girl at the register declined to view the LTC I produced. She said it didn't come up on the computer as required. Has there been a change in the law that I missed?

Nope, no changes in law. Just ignorance on the part of an employee. One that could cost that store it's FFL and MA Ammo Dealer License if they do it to the wrong person (as what allegedly occurred at a WM a few years ago).

I have purchased a NEF shotgun and a Marlin 795 at Dick's in Plymouth and it was a 1 hr ordeal each time. Don't even think about ordering any accessories IE: mags or a barrel. Not in there corporate culture. If it isn't on the shelf and ordered by central purchasing ,go somewheres else.

Maybe she is correctly interpreting the recent Supreme Court cases for herself. If only everyone just started doing this.

I have purchased a NEF shotgun and a Marlin 795 at Dick's in Plymouth and it was a 1 hr ordeal each time. Don't even think about ordering any accessories IE: mags or a barrel. Not in there corporate culture. If it isn't on the shelf and ordered by central purchasing ,go somewheres [sic] else.

Even Walmart used to do custom orders pretty well, back when they sold firearms. Do Walmarts still sell firearms outside of MA?

Maybe tell them on the form you have 10 or 15 young children at home, help sway the stats?

The funny thing is...

I picked up the rifle FOR my offspring to shoot (after Dad "function checks" it, of course). It will be their first centerfire rifle. Shhhhh!!! Don't tell Mom...

S

Last edited:
I have purchased a NEF shotgun and a Marlin 795 at Dick's in Plymouth and it was a 1 hr ordeal each time. Don't even think about ordering any accessories IE: mags or a barrel. Not in there corporate culture. If it isn't on the shelf and ordered by central purchasing ,go somewheres else.

+1

It took an hour to complete my firearm purchase...in addition to waiting 20 mins for someone capable of doing the transaction

S

I went to Dicks in Pittsfield to buy a Marlin rifle that was on sale. I spoke to the person in "The Lodge" section and told him I would like to purchase the rifle. He told me to wait until next week, as it was going to be even cheaper. I said ok and left. Came back on Monday (when he told me it would be on sale) and he was there again. He acted surprised that the price did not go down, then informed me the firearms prices change on Wednesday. Went back Wednesday and a different person was working. I told him I wanted to purchase a rifle and it seemed like he was trying to talk me out of it. First asked if I had my FID, then told me the whole process would take well over an hour, and he had to help someone else first. I was fine with all of that. He came back about 15 minutes later and we filled out the paperwork. While that was happening, another person came in and was interested in getting a shotgun for home defense. He did not have his FID or LTC yet, but was still researching which gun he would buy. The guy that was helping him seemed very helpful.

Dick's in Pittsfield seems like it would rather not have my money, so I do not plan on spending my money there anymore. As for the guy I talked to the first couple of times, I think he is just rude and lazy.

My experience at my somewhat local (Newington) DSG marred by rude condescending staff at the point of sale. I bought several boxes for Remington 5.56 and even though it is obvious that I am well over 18 the manager asked me for proof that I was a NH resident. I replied that I met the requirements of being over 18 for rifle ammo, and he agreed, but then said "Well Massachusetts is only down the road you know so we can't be too careful!" I replied that Canada is the next border over too; so what? I thought that he was making a lame joke at the time. He said either I show a NH id or I could not take the ammo (I had already paid for it) I told him that what he was demanding was against the law, and I wanted an immediate refund. He then had to run a refund with the cashier and wanted me to sign a return slip or what not. I said either give me me money (I paid in cash) now of I was calling a cop since I would not Id myself in front of this little hitler. I would not sign anything. He relented and gave me back my cash.
I spoke to the store manager and he just cowardly back up their "policy".
I would not care if DSG was giving away free M1 Thompsons, I will not darken their door again.

Marlin

I went to Dicks in Pittsfield to buy a Marlin rifle that was on sale. I spoke to the person in "The Lodge" section and told him I would like to purchase the rifle. He told me to wait until next week, as it was going to be even cheaper. I said ok and left. Came back on Monday (when he told me it would be on sale) and he was there again. He acted surprised that the price did not go down, then informed me the firearms prices change on Wednesday. Went back Wednesday and a different person was working. I told him I wanted to purchase a rifle and it seemed like he was trying to talk me out of it. First asked if I had my FID, then told me the whole process would take well over an hour, and he had to help someone else first. I was fine with all of that. He came back about 15 minutes later and we filled out the paperwork. While that was happening, another person came in and was interested in getting a shotgun for home defense. He did not have his FID or LTC yet, but was still researching which gun he would buy. The guy that was helping him seemed very helpful.

Dick's in Pittsfield seems like it would rather not have my money, so I do not plan on spending my money there anymore. As for the guy I talked to the first couple of times, I think he is just rude and lazy.

God, I think I know exactly who you're talking about... Sad really. I would - even if you're not planning on going back, share your experience with DSG. Last time I checked on the back of every receipt was a link to a survey. They actually, (at least in our store) pay attention to them... As to Wednesday being the day firearms prices change - that's the first I've ever heard of it and the associate sounds more like he didn't want to make a gun sale.

After everything I read about these people and my own personal experiences?? I must ask the question-

Why are these people in business in the first place???

After everything I read about these people and my own personal experiences?? I must ask the question-

Simple answer . . . it is a SPORTING GOODS STORE and not a gun shop. They also incidentally sell guns/ammo, but it's not a corporate priority by the way it is run in most locations. [e.g. Almost never see a clerk anywhere near the gun counter in Dedham/W. Roxbury, no clerks anywhere on 2nd floor at Framingham store the one or two times I was there - during work day hours. Usually can find someone nearby at Attleboro store however.]

They are like Walmart / Home Cheapo! They end up squeezing the small knowledgeable / competent/ neighborhood sporting goods store out of business by undercutting their prices, stealing their help by paying them more money and offering better temporary benefits. Then 6 months to a year later they (large chain), downsize and only retain the cheap, unknowlegeable, incompetent, lazy ass, good for nothing worker and we all get what we have now---- MORONS!!! Yes there are exceptions to my statement, but they are few and far between.

Walmart ruined a good amount of stores in the halifax mass area. When they opened some 10+ years ago on the old nasralla farm spot they actually had a great sporting goods section took up the whole back corner of the store. Well now they do not even have a sporting goods section!!! If you go to dicks for great service, you have not been to a shop with great service. If you want to wait around for 1+ hours to save on a entry level fire arm that's on sale 50-100 less than your local dealer. Get a coffee and a snack and go early. If shooters stopped going there to buy ammo and run of the mill hunting fishing equipment the "LODGE" would evaporate much like the wal marts and sports authority, sears, kmart ect ect.

They are like Walmart / Home Cheapo! They end up squeezing the small knowledgeable / competent/ neighborhood sporting goods store out of business by undercutting their prices, stealing their help by paying them more money and offering better temporary benefits. Then 6 months to a year later they (large chain), downsize and only retain the cheap, unknowlegeable, incompetent, lazy ass, good for nothing worker and we all get what we have now---- MORONS!!! Yes there are exceptions to my statement, but they are few and far between.

agree 100%, unfortunately that is how capitalism works sometimes.

From what I've seen here, I can tell Dick's has issues. However I have had very positive experiences in their Natick and Saugus stores.

In Saugus, I called to track down some sorely needed .45 ACP ammo during a particularly bad ammunition drought. I spoke to the Lodge salesman Dick (no relation), and he put aside a couple of boxes for me so I could pick them up when I got there. Great guy in person too.

As for Natick, I was window shopping for a Remington 870, and the kid working the Lodge at that store was polite and knowledgeable; he was even able to tell me a few things about the difference between an 870 and a Mossberg 500. I told him what a Punt Gun was and I think it made his day. ;)

LOL, this thread hasn't had an update in a while, but figured I'd throw this out there.

Went to the Danver's store this week, not a single associate on duty in the Lodge had any clue on how to sell a gun. Unfortunately, they had a gun I really wanted that is on backorder EVERYWHERE, so my hand was forced.

By the time we finished the 4473, there were more cross outs, initials, and dates next to line items than unmolested line items. Over and over I was walking one of the associates through the 4473 because he was reading the instructions on it to make sure he didn't miss anything.

Couple things I noticed that really annoyed me:

1. Every time they put down and picked up the gun they were racking the bolt hard, even if they had never left line of sight from the gun. It was as if it was going to load itself and fire.

2. During the course of filling out the paperwork, they must have picked up and put down the gun 10 times, between 2 associates.

3. When the associate was filling out the paperwork on the 4473, he wrote the serial number down from the BOX, not the gun. I had to ask him to check the serial number on the firearm in the box wasn't the right box.

4. It took over half an hour to do the call-in, which they did in the back room. When he came out, the verification code was in the wrong box, which resulted in more cross outs and initials and dates.

5. I wrote MA on the 4473, they made me cross it out, initial it, and rewrite Massachusetts, as if there was another state with the initials MA

6. I wrote the date as 11/5/10, the same as I filled out the date on every other 4473 I've filled out, and they made me cross it out, initial it, and rewrite it as 11/05/2010. Next time I'm writing 2010/11/05 and telling them I write my date using the international standards.

7. I was asked three times about putting my social security number down on the 4473, each time refusing and listening to them tell me how it helps with the call ins. I refused to put it down, as it says optional, and my call in went fine as usual. My social security number doesn't need to be on any paperwork.

8. They wouldn't process the 4473 paperwork unless I gave them my phone number. I've never had to give a phone number before, and I was pretty PO'd about having to do so. There is absolutely no need for my phone number on paperwork. The ATF has my phone numbers and finger prints on file, if there is an issue they can find me.

9. It took 3 successful attempts to process my fingerprint to finally get the form to proceed and the paperwork to print. I probably have 3 guns with the same serial number in my name now.

10. While doing the online FA-10, they once AGAIN filled in the serial number while one associate read it off the box and another typed it in. I had to ask after they printed the paperwork for me to verify the serial number on the gun matched what was on the paperwork.

Overall it took almost 2 hours to purchase a gun from the time I decided to buy it. One associate just had no clue, the other, I can't think of his name but he mentioned he JUST got his license from Peabody and I know he reads this forum is pretty good. They should him practice and actually get training as he seemed to be the most knowledgeable. The store manager ended up finishing the transaction as the cashiers cannot process the gun transaction at the register(ridiculous).

This store needs some serious help in the Lodge, or the ATF is going to nail them to a cross come audit time, none of which is my concern but I feel bad for the associates. Like I said my paperwork had more crossouts and initials than good data written in it.

There were other things that irritated me in the nearly 2 hours I spent buying my gun, but ultimately I have it now and it's what i wanted. I just hope the whole transaction was processed correctly.

I only saw one camo one.

I called around all the local shops, none can get them and none have any in stock. Bass Pro Shops had one black one left, and they can't order anymore right now. They can't get the camo ones.

Did you try Dick's in Saugus? I'll check Framingham for you tonight if you're serious and you want one.

LOL, this thread hasn't had an update in a while, but figured I'd throw this out there.

Went to the Danver's store this week, not a single associate on duty in the Lodge had any clue on how to sell a gun. Unfortunately, they had a gun I really wanted that is on backorder EVERYWHERE, so my hand was forced.

By the time we finished the 4473, there were more cross outs, initials, and dates next to line items than unmolested line items. Over and over I was walking one of the associates through the 4473 because he was reading the instructions on it to make sure he didn't miss anything.

Couple things I noticed that really annoyed me:

1. Every time they put down and picked up the gun they were racking the bolt hard, even if they had never left line of sight from the gun. It was as if it was going to load itself and fire.

2. During the course of filling out the paperwork, they must have picked up and put down the gun 10 times, between 2 associates.

3. When the associate was filling out the paperwork on the 4473, he wrote the serial number down from the BOX, not the gun. I had to ask him to check the serial number on the firearm in the box wasn't the right box.

4. It took over half an hour to do the call-in, which they did in the back room. When he came out, the verification code was in the wrong box, which resulted in more cross outs and initials and dates.

5. I wrote MA on the 4473, they made me cross it out, initial it, and rewrite Massachusetts, as if there was another state with the initials MA

6. I wrote the date as 11/5/10, the same as I filled out the date on every other 4473 I've filled out, and they made me cross it out, initial it, and rewrite it as 11/05/2010. Next time I'm writing 2010/11/05 and telling them I write my date using the international standards.

7. I was asked three times about putting my social security number down on the 4473, each time refusing and listening to them tell me how it helps with the call ins. I refused to put it down, as it says optional, and my call in went fine as usual. My social security number doesn't need to be on any paperwork.

8. They wouldn't process the 4473 paperwork unless I gave them my phone number. I've never had to give a phone number before, and I was pretty PO'd about having to do so. There is absolutely no need for my phone number on paperwork. The ATF has my phone numbers and finger prints on file, if there is an issue they can find me.

9. It took 3 successful attempts to process my fingerprint to finally get the form to proceed and the paperwork to print. I probably have 3 guns with the same serial number in my name now.

10. While doing the online FA-10, they once AGAIN filled in the serial number while one associate read it off the box and another typed it in. I had to ask after they printed the paperwork for me to verify the serial number on the gun matched what was on the paperwork.

Overall it took almost 2 hours to purchase a gun from the time I decided to buy it. One associate just had no clue, the other, I can't think of his name but he mentioned he JUST got his license from Peabody and I know he reads this forum is pretty good. They should him practice and actually get training as he seemed to be the most knowledgeable. The store manager ended up finishing the transaction as the cashiers cannot process the gun transaction at the register(ridiculous).

This store needs some serious help in the Lodge, or the ATF is going to nail them to a cross come audit time, none of which is my concern but I feel bad for the associates. Like I said my paperwork had more crossouts and initials than good data written in it.

There were other things that irritated me in the nearly 2 hours I spent buying my gun, but ultimately I have it now and it's what i wanted. I just hope the whole transaction was processed correctly.

Bass Pro did that to me, but they did not spring it on me until AFTER the call was done and the gun was purchased. Buncha a**h***s, if I had known, I would have said "I dont want it" and gone elsewhere.

Bass Pro did that to me, but they did not spring it on me until AFTER the call was done and the gun was purchased. Buncha a**h***s, if I had known, I would have said "I dont want it" and gone elsewhere.

Now that I think of it, they did ask for it AFTER the call in. If i was approved and got the "Ok to proceed" why did they need my phone number?

I dont think Dicks would give 2 shits if the STF pulled thier dealer license. I doubt they make enough on gun sales to even cover a part time workers ID badge.
You would think that by now they would have their shit together. I ordered a Condor Sporting Model O/U shotgun from them, after 6 months I had to fight to get my Deposit back. Also by now you would think they would order/stock more of the common ammo they sell. I swear most of the Sabot shotgun shells have been in the plymouth store since it opened along with the 22-250 and a host of other less common fodder. For god sakes how can they think 3 cases of .223/5.56 is enough. I got to talking with one of the better clerks in plymouth before he left??? He says the reording of ammo and guns is AFU.
They will follow in walmarts direction.........floorspace,turnover,profit=X if X does not come out the #s they want------well then they stop selling it. When wall mart in halifax reopened with no ammo and no fishing gear the women flat out told me. Wal mart does a calculation and if the product doesnt sell fast with a profit they drop it. She then says walmart makes very little profit on ammo??????? So if you live in a area that is not big on consumeing shooting/hunting/fishing stuff you will see the depatments shrink.

Simple profit======why did sears stop selling guns ? I remember when Hanover mall sears had guns and ammo.....my dad purchased ammo there just before we went hunting behind the movie theater?

I dont think Dicks would give 2 shits if the STF pulled thier dealer license. I doubt they make enough on gun sales to even cover a part time workers ID badge.
You would think that by now they would have their shit together. I ordered a Condor Sporting Model O/U shotgun from them, after 6 months I had to fight to get my Deposit back. Also by now you would think they would order/stock more of the common ammo they sell. I swear most of the Sabot shotgun shells have been in the plymouth store since it opened along with the 22-250 and a host of other less common fodder. For god sakes how can they think 3 cases of .223/5.56 is enough. I got to talking with one of the better clerks in plymouth before he left??? He says the reording of ammo and guns is AFU.
They will follow in walmarts direction.........floorspace,turnover,profit=X if X does not come out the #s they want------well then they stop selling it. When wall mart in halifax reopened with no ammo and no fishing gear the women flat out told me. Wal mart does a calculation and if the product doesnt sell fast with a profit they drop it. She then says walmart makes very little profit on ammo??????? So if you live in a area that is not big on consumeing shooting/hunting/fishing stuff you will see the depatments shrink.

Simple profit======why did sears stop selling guns ? I remember when Hanover mall sears had guns and ammo.....my dad purchased ammo there just before we went hunting behind the movie theater?

And here in Danvers and Framingham I can't find a single box of 20 gauge sabot 3". Want to send some up here?

Back
Top Bottom