Dick's Sporting Goods to stop selling hunting rifles in 125 stores

Dick’s just keeps on dicking themselves. If this is their death knell (along with all of their real estate obligations), then good riddance.

Last edited:
Buying small amounts of ammo and gun accessories online is a pain in the ass, there is always a market for retail gun stuff, across a bunch of different strata of shooters. Remember there are millions of people who
are johnny 1 box at the range that are basically newbies forever. A place like "dicks" is in their wheelhouse. I know a metric shit ton of "those people". It's just that dicks has managed to screw themselves out of it. You really think that their anti gun management/bad press has nothing to do with this? One hand washes the other.

-Mike
Honestly the time I wasted going to dicks for gun stuff or anything really and then they dont have what I want would more than pay for TSUSA prime membership.
Then its free shipping even on small orders.

No f***s given here.

If they destroyed $5m of their inventory then that just seems like stupidity. They already paid for it so it hurts manufacturers not at all. If it's order cancellations, then that just benefits the LGSs since Robert Francis is doing a bang up job of selling guns lately.

This just hurts their shareholders.

When businesses forget about the job of a business ... to make a profit. Not politics, unless it makes money.

This is probably not even good marketing. I would at least understand if it was increasing sales in all other departments, but it's not like more people are going there now that they destroyed guns.

If sales increase a little, it will only be because of the holidays.

They are putting in a new Dick's Sporting Goods where the Sears used to be in the Manchester New Hampshire mall. Looks like it's going to be a giant one. Hopefully a giant failure.

Destroying the guns sounds very dramatic. For their sake, I hope they destroyed them according to ATF requirements with an acetylene torch and making 3 specific cuts through the receiver, and documenting it well.

It would be hysterical if they got in trouble with the ATF for not destroying them properly.

When businesses forget about the job of a business ... to make a profit. Not politics, unless it makes money.

This is probably not even good marketing. I would at least understand if it was increasing sales in all other departments, but it's not like more people are going there now that they destroyed guns.

If sales increase a little, it will only be because of the holidays.

I don't think it's helping any of their other departments though. Other than spending a gift card I got last Christmas there, I haven't set foot inside Dick's since early 2018. I was a regular there, buying not only ammo, but also running and fitness equipment. Marathon Sports now provides for my running needs and a combination of other B&M retailers as well as the internet makes up for everything else. I'd imagine there are plenty of other people in the same boat as me.

I don't think it's helping any of their other departments though. Other than spending a gift card I got last Christmas there, I haven't set foot inside Dick's since early 2018. I was a regular there, buying not only ammo, but also running and fitness equipment. Marathon Sports now provides for my running needs and a combination of other B&M retailers as well as the internet makes up for everything else. I'd imagine there are plenty of other people in the same boat as me.
Exactly. It's not like they gained customers that wouldnt buy there because they sold guns. All they did was lose customers that used to buy guns, ammo and other equipment.

I dont understand why companies get into this political BS.

Destroying the guns sounds very dramatic. For their sake, I hope they destroyed them according to ATF requirements with an acetylene torch and making 3 specific cuts through the receiver, and documenting it well.

It would be hysterical if they got in trouble with the ATF for not destroying them properly.

Would be funny if someone with a connection at ATF could mention this to them. Would be great if the $5M is just the cost of the inventory and then there was additional costs on top of that to properly destroy them, plus the cost of lawyers to deal with a nice, long ATF investigation.

Jeebus - it’s like watching someone slowly commit suicide. Just get it over with, DSG.

This. For those that havent been in Academy sports. It is a similar format with a much better inventory for the shooter. Hopefully Dicks will die off and Academy will thrive.

This. For those that havent been in Academy sports. It is a similar format with a much better inventory for the shooter. Hopefully Dicks will die off and Academy will thrive.

Went to an Academy Sports in Gerogia over the summer while down visiting the in-laws.
Man.........
Aisles of ammo. All kinds.
Not locked up behind glass cases like this armpit of a state.
Can't wait to move.

Normally I would never say "good" when a place stops selling guns, but f*** these people. I hope they stop selling guns and ammo entirely, at least other gun shops will benefit from the business and it will keep gun owners out of their stores and in other stores that suck less.

-Mike
Yup, and a person who’s into guns and the outdoor life won’t buy any other stuff there like coolers, clothing, fishing and camping gear etc. It will be Dicks last resort soon enough. It should be called Dicks Golf and Lacrosse superstore, lol!

Would be funny if someone with a connection at ATF could mention this to them. Would be great if the $5M is just the cost of the inventory and then there was additional costs on top of that to properly destroy them, plus the cost of lawyers to deal with a nice, long ATF investigation.
I am sure Atilla can help us here. Someone send him a text message.

Back
Top Bottom