Dick's is mulling getting out of hunting gear business

CdP

Dick's Sporting Goods mulls dropping hunting gear

Put another way, evidently people who buy "assault weapons" also hunt... and not don't shop at Dick's. I know I've stayed away from them and plan to... It's funny when a company pees in their own corn flakes!

====

The jury is still out as to whether Dick's Sporting Goods will extend a controversial move to clear hunting supplies from its stores, including shotguns, ammunition, cross bows and rifle scopes.

The retailer, which stopped selling assault rifles earlier in the year, in late August said it would also rid 10 Dick's stores of "virtually all" hunting items. The stores involved were those where hunting sales had fared the most poorly.

"We'll have to wait and see how the 10-store test does," CEO Edward Stack said during an earnings call Wednesday.

That said, Stack noted, Dick's is "looking at a number of stores where the hunt category significantly underperforms." Additional moves will involve deciding what's "a smart thing to do from a business standpoint," he added.

The company currently operates 732 Dick's stores in 47 states.

Hunting supplies and electronics are being swapped out for higher-margin products geared at athletes and sports teams, including outerwear in colder parts of the country and baseball and soccer equipment, Stack said.

"As the football business has declined, baseball and soccer have picked up," he noted.

The Pennsylvania-based retailer earlier reported a third-quarter net sales decline to $1.86 billion from $1.94 billion in the year-earlier period, with adjusted same-store sales down 3.9 percent.

"Sales continue to be negatively impacted by double-digit declines in hunt and electronics," CFO Lee Belitsky said. "Specific to hunt, in addition to the strategic decisions we made regarding firearms earlier this year, the broader industry has decelerated and remains weak, as evidenced by most recent background-check data" for firearms purchases.

Dick's halted sales of assault-style weapons and raised the minimum purchase age for firearms to 21 in February following a mass shooting at a high school in Parkland, Florida, that killed 17 people.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone walk down the isles of the hunting section, other than me maybe twice just to figure out what the deal was and then to lose interest. They sure do suck at it, so please, by all means, get out of the business. Keep on selling what you're good at, yoga pants to hot chicks and stuff like that...

Anyway... buh bye!

The Dick's stores always did a miserable job of selling firearms anyway, so it makes sense to get out of something you're not good at.

Several of the Field & Stream stores were doing an outstanding job of being a quality gun shop, and hunting equipment including lures, decoys, calls, stands, blinds and apparel did extremely well. Exiting the AR business definitely hurt those categories. Exiting firearms and hunt in those stores will be very expensive. But as far as I care, the more it costs them the better.

Excellent, the more they look like every other sports store the more they lose market share.

All gun owners have to do is keep the pressure on even after they get rid of their firearms department and continue to not shop there.

It's been quite awhile since I did the perp walk to the register with my box of 22. I miss showing my LTC to the college kid behind the counter and again to the girl at the register.

Thier hunting stuff has always sucked with little choice of gear. Never have anything i need
Years ago we bought a lot of shotgun ammo there for trap as they had cases of it.
other than that a trail cam, handful of fishing gear. They sell the same junk as walmart across the lot and its cheaper at walmart.
Im a little at a loss on where to go for some nice cold weather gear. Bass pro was a flop. Left with out spending more thsn tbe few bucks in the shooting gallery

Thier hunting stuff has always sucked with little choice of gear. Never have anything i need
Years ago we bought a lot of shotgun ammo there for trap as they had cases of it.
other than that a trail cam, handful of fishing gear. They sell the same junk as walmart across the lot and its cheaper at walmart.
Im a little at a loss on where to go for some nice cold weather gear. Bass pro was a flop. Left with out spending more thsn tbe few bucks in the shooting gallery
If you are in the market for real cols weather hunting gear kitttery trading Post is good. May be a bit of a drive depending on where you live and yes you'll pay some sales tax as it's in Maine. But I've yet to see another store that has the selection of wool hunting gear that ktp carries. From the classics like Johnson woolen mills and filson to the modern under armor you'll find it there.

Best part is they don't put up with anti gun bullshit. Last summer a gun control protest was planned and executed at the store. Ktp management informed the protesters if they set one foot off the curb onto ktp property they would be prosecuted for trespassing. It was summer and it was hot......counter protesters were there in support of the store and the 2a......ktp management told them to come on in to enjoy the ac and gave them free beverages.

Ktp has been a mainstay of my hunting gear purchases for years and years.

I'm doing my part to sink the bastards. It does not matter how conveniently located it is to me, or if I can purchase whatever for less money there. I will pay twice as much and drive twice as far and I will never set foot in there. Good luck Dick's........... have fun selling spandex into an already saturated market. Pete

When I read about Dicks's I think about the slow death and demise of Radio Shack. They kept grasping at straws trying to figure out what people needed until they decided on cell phones and then they were doomed. The people who regularly went in to a Radio Shack to buy a resistor or a cable didn't simply disappear they just went somewhere else with their business. Maybe selling ammo and scopes isn't going to be a lot of money but it adds up and once customers are turned away they find new sources and that will be that.

I should get a gig as a professor of modern political economy. I'll teach one course, and they'll pay me like Liawatha.

Here's the course: "You can sum up this course in four words: 'Get woke, go broke.' Now you have one week to give me a 10-page paper on that topic."

I will have provided more value for the tuition in five minutes of class time and a few hours grading papers than Spreading Bull has in her entire bloviating career.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit.

If they are that anti gun, they deserve to crash and burn.....HARD.

My only question is when is Amazon going to start selling Guns and Ammo? They're going to be the only retailer left...

Back
Top Bottom