• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dianne Feinstein: Time For a Magazine Ban

mikeyp

NES Member
Dianne Feinstein: Time For A Magazine Ban

In today’s Los Angeles Times, Senator Dianne Feinstein lays out her best case for a ban on “high capacity” magazines, and it boils down to a simple premise: if killers use smaller magazines, lives will be saved.

The primary effect of a high-capacity magazine — which is defined as a magazine holding more than 10 rounds — is more dead bodies.

Last week, the House Judiciary Committee advanced a bill that would ban such ammunition magazines — the Keep America Safe Act — along with bills to promote so-called red flag, or extreme risk, laws, which keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people, and a bill that prevents those convicted of hate crimes from purchasing or owning weapons.

The magazine ban passed by the House would ban the manufacture, sale, transfer, and possession of magazines holding more than 10 rounds, though it does contain a grandfather clause allowing individuals to maintain possession of existing magazines. The punishment for violating the law? Up to five years in a federal prison.

While the bill as written does contain a grandfather clause, Feinstein notes that the legislation also contains funding for a “buyback” of magazines.

But it’s not enough to simply stop the sale of new high-capacity magazines. We also need to address the supply already on the street. The Keep Americans Safe Act includes another provision of my assault weapons ban that would allow federal funds to be used to buy back high-capacity magazines, providing an incentive for people to retire such magazines.

Of course, in Feinstein’s home state of California lawmakers decided to simply require gun owners to turn in their magazines. Instead, a federal judge blocked the law from going into effect, and for one magical week, Californians could actually purchase “large capacity magazines” without violating state law for the first time in over 20 years. It’s estimated that as many as 1,000,000 magazines were legally purchased by Californians that week, which demonstrates that Feinstein is simply wrong when she says that the only reason people want these magazines is to take as many human lives as possible.

In fact, Dr. J. Eric Dietz of Purdue University’s Homeland Security Institute has been conducting research into magazine capacity and self-defense, and says his studies show increased magazine capacity saves lives.

“With the way we had the modeling set up, every single [additional] round added to the capacity. So, theoretically, even a hundred round magazine would have continued to add capacity. This is not really new. Anybody who’s got military or law enforcement time knows more guns in a gun fight on the friendly side are good and the outcome is usually better because of that. So I think this reinforces maybe our gut reaction to the magazine bans and the magazine capacity issue overall.”

One other big issue with Feinstein’s demand for a magazine ban is enforceability. The “Keep Americans Safe Act” would require all new magazines to be stamped with a manufacturers date, but there are literally tens of millions of magazines in private hands that don’t have any markings that would allow law enforcement to know when they were made. We’ve also seen how easy it is to print your own magazine with a 3D printer, which means that even if companies were to stop making magazines, the illicit market could quickly and easily adapt.

Not only is Feinstein wrong on the merits of her ban, but the difficulty in enforcing the proposal means that it’s not likely to get much use, beyond being perhaps another charge federal prosecutors could levy against someone already facing gun and/or drug charges. Her magazine ban is a bad idea on multiple levels, but unfortunately we’ve seen that Feinstein’s never met a gun control bill she doesn’t like, no matter how ineffectual, unconstitutional, or unenforceable it might be.

Time for a magazine stockpile. A Dem majority in the House and Senate is bound to come again in our lifetimes. I've heard some materials engineers say today's polymer mags could last a century or more in proper storage.

Time for a magazine stockpile. A Dem majority in the House and Senate is bound to come again in our lifetimes. I've heard some materials engineers say today's polymer mags could last a century or more in proper storage.

That seems to me like an incredibly short lifespan. 100 years? Properly stored, shouldn't they last indefinitely?

That seems to me like an incredibly short lifespan. 100 years? Properly stored, shouldn't they last indefinitely?
Sure hope they would. I'd love for my great-great-great grandchildren to shoot my mags.

The original Steyr AUG mags are decades old and still function, and today's polymer technology is far better. But plastics have the potential for off-gassing and going brittle, just like metals have the potential for oxidizing. Best odds with dark, cool/consistent, dry storage. You and I will never know.

Why is she still stealing oxygen from my planet??????

If Kalifornians bought in excess of 1,000,000 standard capacity magazines in one week, how many does she think the rest of the country has been buying and stock piling for the past 26 years?.......the past 50 years???

If there's an estimated 50,000,000 ARs alone times 20 mags per rifle average, thats a billion magazines.....just for ARs. Now add in every other rifle type, the figures are unfathomable.

Lady, please,,,,just look at yourself in the mirror and admit .....YOU ARE INSANE!!!

Nobody is selling their magazines to any government, and they are NOT taking them from people either.

If you want war, just keep pushing.

All this means, for now, is the box of preban mags at the gun store that said "$30 each" will now say "$40 each.. get them while you still can."

Clam

Why don’t we gather data first? Let’s start a “Rush the Shooter” campaign in schools, TV and radio. ‘Cause that’s what we’d have to do, right? We’re not going to *hope* somebody sees that a mass killer is changing a 10rd magazine out and has the guts and training to take the shooter down - that would not make “common sense”. We have fire extinguishers and teach people how to use them. We have seatbelts and have a public campaign to wear them. If you want to rely on gun-free zones where killers bring guns but *not* magazines with 10rd+ (a pretty lame assumption) - then train people how to rush and tackle a killer.

1. Don’t lock, hide and escape, run *towards* the gun fire
2. As the killer shoots those rushing they will run out of rounds and be forced to change magazines
3. The unshot rushers will then tackle and subdue the killer

It’s not just for the young, big, strong guys - anyone can be a target to deplete the rounds from a shooter’s magazine. Women, children, men, young and old.

Bang1, Bang2, Bang3, Bang4 [you’re dipping and dodging towards the shooter like you were trained or saw on TV commercials]
Band5, Bang6, Bang7, Bang8 [people are going down but somehow you’ve not been hit as you close distance]
Bang9, Bang10, Bang11, Bang12 [oh-oh, the shooter didn’t obey the mag limit law and may have a 15rd, 17rd, 20rd, 30rd magazine in their pistol or rifle]

Eventually, the rushers will get the killer, they will run out of ammo, the police will kill them or they shoot themselves dead. Plenty of heros to hold up in the public’s eye to glorify the brave dead.

Thank God nobody had a gun - they might have shot other than the mass killer or gotten shot by the police when they show up later...

Probably, but in 100 years I am hoping to be using a phase plasma rifle in a 40 watt range...from my wheelchair.

I have no love for the senator, she will never stop. Shut her down at every opportunity.

LOL... I'm amazed that that one note tuba is still sucking air, and that she's even remotely relevant anymore...

View attachment 303210

I'm amazed someone caught her on video like that. LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Dianne! Citizens can have standard capacity mags in your other country!

In fact, Dr. J. Eric Dietz of Purdue University’s Homeland Security Institute has been conducting research into magazine capacity and self-defense, and says his studies show increased magazine capacity saves lives.

Odd - the guy is a Chemical Engineer. Practically no nation media uptake of his work other than a study of active shooter events: “They learned what could seem obvious: if a police officer or other armed school official confronts the shooter, fewer casualties are likely to occur. Dietz said the gun debate is so polarizing, his students sought to use science to inform people in the middle of the debate.”

Obvious but denied...by anti-gun advocates.

I concur. We need a magazine ban. Time. Newsweek. Businessweek. All of those ones at the supermarket checkout telling me if Jennifer Aniston is happy or not and that Felicity Huffington is having Jon Stamos's baby who is already accepted to Harvard on a full ride scholarship for competitive sinking.

OK, maybe not the supermarket ones. They make me laugh.

Why don’t we gather data first? Let’s start a “Rush the Shooter” campaign in schools, TV and radio. ‘Cause that’s what we’d have to do, right? We’re not going to *hope* somebody sees that a mass killer is changing a 10rd magazine out and has the guts and training to take the shooter down - that would not make “common sense”. We have fire extinguishers and teach people how to use them. We have seatbelts and have a public campaign to wear them. If you want to rely on gun-free zones where killers bring guns but *not* magazines with 10rd+ (a pretty lame assumption) - then train people how to rush and tackle a killer.

1. Don’t lock, hide and escape, run *towards* the gun fire
2. As the killer shoots those rushing they will run out of rounds and be forced to change magazines
3. The unshot rushers will then tackle and subdue the killer

It’s not just for the young, big, strong guys - anyone can be a target to deplete the rounds from a shooter’s magazine. Women, children, men, young and old.

Bang1, Bang2, Bang3, Bang4 [you’re dipping and dodging towards the shooter like you were trained or saw on TV commercials]
Band5, Bang6, Bang7, Bang8 [people are going down but somehow you’ve not been hit as you close distance]
Bang9, Bang10, Bang11, Bang12 [oh-oh, the shooter didn’t obey the mag limit law and may have a 15rd, 17rd, 20rd, 30rd magazine in their pistol or rifle]

Eventually, the rushers will get the killer, they will run out of ammo, the police will kill them or they shoot themselves dead. Plenty of heros to hold up in the public’s eye to glorify the brave dead.

Thank God nobody had a gun - they might have shot other than the mass killer or gotten shot by the police when they show up later...

I don't think it is realistic to teach people to rush a shooter who's currently firing, knowing that it means likely death. I know the overall fatalities would work out better than not doing this, but no one's gonna do that.

However, what they should do is try to rush the shooter when the mag runs out and he's trying to reload. I suspect most of these people, especially idiot teen school shooters, are not all that skilled at reloading quickly. There should be a few seconds, perhaps longer. Yet, I don't recall ever hearing any news report that people tried to rush a shooter while he was reloading. It would appear he has all the time in the world to figure out how to change mags. He's not going to be John Wick, who quickly pulls out a second gun and shoots someone rushing him while he's reloading the first gun.

I don't think it is realistic to teach people to rush a shooter who's currently firing, knowing that it means likely death. I know the overall fatalities would work out better than not doing this, but no one's gonna do that.

However, what they should do is try to rush the shooter when the mag runs out and he's trying to reload. I suspect most of these people, especially idiot teen school shooters, are not all that skilled at reloading quickly. There should be a few seconds, perhaps longer. Yet, I don't recall ever hearing any news report that people tried to rush a shooter while he was reloading. It would appear he has all the time in the world to figure out how to change mags. He's not going to be John Wick, who quickly pulls out a second gun and shoots someone rushing him while he's reloading the first gun.

Although, if the shooter is shooting in one direction, and people are cowering behind him, that could be a time to consider rushing him from behind.

We have fire extinguishers and teach people how to use them.
2001-DOM.jpg

Dianne Feinstein: Time For a Magazine Ban

She sure looks like she knows how to handle them "big, black double" ones...
iu

While tactically correct this is thier reason on why they want to ban standard caps. Assuming more mags changes meaning more relocate vor rushing the shooter. However with 15 minutes of forethought or positioning the mag limit is moot anyway.

I don't think it is realistic to teach people to rush a shooter who's currently firing, knowing that it means likely death. I know the overall fatalities would work out better than not doing this, but no one’s gonna do that.

I agree but that’s the point, actually. There is *no* good tactic to use against a determined mass killer with a gun and 10rd or 30rd magazines except to shoot them dead as soon as possible. Every other tactic, at best, hopes to minimize loss of life but leaves the shooter in control. Banning mags >10rd in hopes of jumping a mass shooter between more frequent mag changes is like assuming the braced position for a crash landing in a commercial jet. It’s a last ditch hope that you survive against all odds. It’s like swimming in the big school of fish hoping the sharks don’t get you when they gobble down all in their path.

Back
Top Bottom