• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dhaka 1 degree of seperation

My brother in law has been with the state department for 25+ years. Primarily in Bangladesh and Pakistan. My sister and he have raised their family over there and here. The attack on Dhaka bought it close to home. As you can read below one of my nieces friends friends chose to identify as an American and paid with her life because of it. Her other friend could have left but did not, choosing to stay behind and try to protect the others. These 19 and 20 year olds made a choice that they knew could have and did end their lives.
Our Independence Day was bought with the lives of the same kind of people. Please reflect and remember Abinta, Faraaz, and Tarishi as you celebrate the freedoms we have.

As we celebrate our Independence Day please review the simple narrative below to realize the bravery in the actions of all three. Faraaz could have left but did not and Abinta did not have to but was so proud she made the CHOICE to identify herself as an American. All three are dead now.

Tarishi Jain, 19 (see Sunday Globe 7/3/2016) was a good friend of my neice Katie Danilowicz, and her and the others were way to young to see their lives cut short. I hope, there is indeed a special kind of hell that is reserved for these attackers and that they are now roasting on a spit in it.

An update

From Katie:
Hey Uncle Mike, thank you so much for your post. It means so much. I had grown up with Tarishi, Abinta, and Faraaz. I became friends with Faraaz later in high school and he was a close friend. Abinta, Tarishi, and I have been best friends since 6th grade.

Tarishi and Abinta were killed for being proud of their identities as an Indian and a Bangladeshi American respectively, and Faraaz demonstrated the purest form of bravery by refusing to leave, despite being allowed to.
They asked everyone there their nationality and their ability to recite the Quran. Abinta and Faraaz both could but Abinta identified herself as American.

So they told Faraaz he could leave, but he wouldn't leave them. It's amazing

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom