Developing a good FFL relationships

This may be a bit naive of an issue but I'm going to throw it out there anyways. I don't spend nearly as much on firearms as many people here, maybe $2-4k a year at most. Despite how little business I do however, I'm still extremely underwhelmed with my FFL options, most of which make you feel more like a data point than an actual customer. Even making 3-4 purchases within the span of a couple months last year at one particular place that I'd call very "mom and pop," I don't think they'd know me from a hole in the wall.

I've been thinking about this issue a lot lately as I try to track down a Tikka T3x TAC. They seem to be out of stock everywhere, which is fine, I'm in no hurry, but if I'm going to wait a few months anyways, I prefer to give my money to support someone local, rather than some random internet store or big box place. The problem comes in trying to find an FFL I can build a good relationship with. I know they're out there, but choosing a random name off a list doesn't seem like the best idea, I don't do enough business to find a good one from experience, and people treat good FFL's like secrete family recipes. I don't expect to get any pricing breaks or have someone bend over backwards to help me from day one (though that would be nice), but I'd like to find someone I can eventually build up a relationship with where that's not a far-fetched idea.

So the question is, how do you do it?

This may be a bit naive of an issue but I'm going to throw it out there anyways. I don't spend nearly as much on firearms as many people here, maybe $2-4k a year at most. Despite how little business I do however, I'm still extremely underwhelmed with my FFL options, most of which make you feel more like a data point than an actual customer. Even making 3-4 purchases within the span of a couple months last year at one particular place that I'd call very "mom and pop," I don't think they'd know me from a hole in the wall.

I've been thinking about this issue a lot lately as I try to track down a Tikka T3x TAC. They seem to be out of stock everywhere, which is fine, I'm in no hurry, but if I'm going to wait a few months anyways, I prefer to give my money to support someone local, rather than some random internet store or big box place. The problem comes in trying to find an FFL I can build a good relationship with. I know they're out there, but choosing a random name off a list doesn't seem like the best idea, I don't do enough business to find a good one from experience, and people treat good FFL's like secrete family recipes. I don't expect to get any pricing breaks or have someone bend over backwards to help me from day one (though that would be nice), but I'd like to find someone I can eventually build up a relationship with where that's not a far-fetched idea.

2-4k a year.....p!ease if you spent that much a year at your local place they should at least remember that your that guy.
The 2 places i frequent the most
1. Knows my name and i have not spent that much at all there. Random small stuff.
2. Other place does not know my name BUT he seems to remember what Im interested in I,have bought a few guns and reloading stuff from him over the years but heck I dont think Ive spent $1000 there ?
3. Theres fourseasons i spent the most there in tbe past 20 years. I have not been there in at least 6 i always delt with Carl and he always seemed interested and appreciate the business.

All in all , IDGAF if they remember me. As long as they have stuff i want/need at a price we are both happy with .

You buy a lot of guns from the FFL and you do it without nickel and diming them like most gun owners. I lived in Mass for three years, in that time I never accepted a rifle with a fixed stock or a pin and weld muzzle device. Every pistol I bought was with standard cap mags. If he wanted my business I wasn't buying neutered guns.

Last edited:
2-4k a year.....p!ease if you spent that much a year at your local place they should at least remember that your that guy.
The 2 places i frequent the most
1. Knows my name and i have not spent that much at all there. Random small stuff.
2. Other place does not know my name BUT he seems to remember what Im interested in I,have bought a few guns and reloading stuff from him over the years but heck I dont think Ive spent $1000 there ?
3. Theres fourseasons i spent the most there in tbe past 20 years. I have not been there in at least 6 i always delt with Carl and he always seemed interested and appreciate the business.

All in all , IDGAF if they remember me. As long as they have stuff i want/need at a price we are both happy with .
I don’t so much care about remembering my name, but this local place I’m speaking about seemed to think it was my first time in even after my 4th purchase.

You buy a lot of guns from the FFL and you do it without nickel and diming them like most gun owners. I lived in Mass for three years, in that time I never accepted a rifle with a fixed stock or a pin and weld muzzle device. Every pistol I bought was with standard cap mags. If he wanted my business I was buying neutered guns.
That’s part of the issue - I don’t buy a ton of guns. Maybe 1 small purchase and 1 larger one a year, at most. I know that isn’t enough to really “get noticed” by most places, but at the very least, I’d like to give my money to someone who deserves it vs some random company.

Looking for 6.5CM and I rather wait and buy one at MSRP than get raked over the coals on GB. The wait really isn't the issue for me, the question is really more about finding a good FFL in general to work with.
I’m confused... it looks like the starting bid on GB is close to msrp. Or is the issue of which FFL you want to give business for the transfer. I guess you could walk around the mill, make eye contact with the people and pick whoever returns a come-hither look.

I’m confused... it looks like the starting bid on GB is close to msrp. Or is the issue of which FFL you want to give business for the transfer. I guess you could walk around the mill, make eye contact with the people and pick whoever returns a come-hither look.
Given how scarce the stock is for this, I’m just assuming it won’t go for retail.

You basically come in and buy goods and services often. For example, I tend to use one specific shop to transfer my Gunbroker purchases. I went in there today and they just assumed that I had a transfer incoming. Not today, but soon...

You can also engage with their social media and ask questions.

I don’t so much care about remembering my name, but this local place I’m speaking about seemed to think it was my first time in even after my 4th purchase.

That’s part of the issue - I don’t buy a ton of guns. Maybe 1 small purchase and 1 larger one a year, at most. I know that isn’t enough to really “get noticed” by most places, but at the very least, I’d like to give my money to someone who deserves it vs some random company.
JFC who cares can they get what you want or not?

Who is guarding their preferred FFL like a secret recipe? This forum is very vocal about the good and bad FFLs. I've never met a gun guy not offer up a shop that they've had a good experience with. Also, whoever can get the gun for you is probably the shop that you should continue to support.

I have a hunting/fishing/paint store down the road. Nice place. Nice people.

I buy more in lures than I do in guns and ammo, but always cruise the rack just in case. I usually have at least one well behaved child in tow, so that makes me more memorable.

This summer my kids decided to paint over some graffiti under the bridges in town (some BLM stuff and dicks, but I repeat myself). The store donated the paint from the oops cans. First time the clerks paid for it, second time the owner said no charge. My kids are now viewed as official good guys there.

They charge $20 for a transfer.

.260rem:
6.5CM:

not exactly a problem to find, it seems...

this one is better, btw. :)
Avoid 6.5 PRC, guy at work bought one on a whim, ammo is NON EXISTENT lol.

I drive from Worcester to Littleton to do my dealings. Definitely don't spend much a year on firearms and I doubt Randy @Dean Safety remembers me by face or name but he's always treated me right regardless, what more do you want?

I have a hunting/fishing/paint store down the road. Nice place. Nice people.

I buy more in lures than I do in guns and ammo, but always cruise the rack just in case. I usually have at least one well behaved child in tow, so that makes me more memorable.

This summer my kids decided to paint over some graffiti under the bridges in town (some BLM stuff and dicks, but I repeat myself). The store donated the paint from the oops cans. First time the clerks paid for it, second time the owner said no charge. My kids are now viewed as official good guys there.

They charge $20 for a transfer.
Very nice. On that note, I just had a painting contractor vacate a garage at the Mill in Littleton. The bastard left me with hundreds of partially filled cans of all types and colors of paint. Enough to paint to do every bridge on the east coast. If you or anyone else want to pick through it, you can have what you want. PM or call me at 978-263-9177. I'm managing the Mill from home for a while. Jack.

I’m sorry but I’m going to ask a weird question, I see a revolver on gunbroker that I want. It’s a pre 1908 top break. Is it transferable to mass? I’m looking for a mass ffl that would transfer it. And yes I’m a class a Ltc carrier,, it’s the clone of my great grand fathers revolver I have, but it’s worn out from all my siblings shooting it 8 of us. Spoke with Turnbull and he said to get another or pay him 2k and he will restore mine

@MAGAArms @TPNES and @Dean Safety have always done right by first timers. Very friendly staff.

I would 2nd this. This is sound advice. I don‘t spent a ton, people don’t know me, per-se. But having spent some time at the mill, I now have people looking for things they know I like, they have offered me text/email correspondence, and they couldn’t be nicer. Spend an hour. Ask around. I’d start in this room.

it helps if you have boobs. NOT MOOBS. Boobs

Back
Top Bottom