• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Detroit - police drive away from a drive by shooting

Some of you guys have very active imaginations. You think the shooters were a sophisticated gang with the cops on their side and they couldn’t manage a proper drive by? You think the cops are so brazen about their criminal, career ending involvement in the gang that it’s cool for the gang to pull executions directly in front of a cruiser with the dirty cop sitting in it with a camera rolling?

ARs are cheap (or can be) and with 80%s it’s probably easier for gangs to get their hands on them. They didn’t ID the cop (do they usually at this stage?) because it’s an active investigation. And did she break any law or just fail to do her job?
pretty sure joe publics name is readily available when under investigation ? NOTHING should be withheld when it comes to public servants/gov officials. but it is.

Are you a cop, or have you ever been a cop? If not Shut Up or Sign Up!!!!

I feel bad for all the guys and girls who are on the job that are over the pension hump, but not enough to cash out.
You can't defend the not reporting it part. I get the not wanting to shoot it out with them. But there's no excuse for not reporting it.

I can definitely see being like f*** that im gunna park over here we'll let swat roll in and handle it

Fine you don't want to engage or get involved but they definitely should be shit canned for not calling it in.
You can't defend the not reporting it part. I get the not wanting to shoot it out with them. But there's no excuse for not reporting it.
What do you mean by "it"?
Precisely what facts do you say were not given to dispatch?

Dolunt said the officers in question did not come clean about what happened.

"It appears they were hiding something at first because again, it came to light through a routine investigation of the cameras, and the supervisor says 'Wait a minute,'" he said. "So it wasn't reported to them right away."

That supervisor sent it up the chain of command prompting an investigation and the immediate suspension of the female officer who was behind the wheel.

Not clear if the shooting itself wasn’t reported or the fact that it happened right in front of them and they left.

Im going off the person who posted this was found by someone in the office reviewing dash cam footage. So the shooting. If they called the shooting in and bailed that's not that bad in my mind. But just letting it happen and not reporting the shooting is inexcusible

Potentially lose your job or be charged with murdering another Clearly Peaceful American. Your choice. The best choice would be not to play at all and find another line of work.

Not clear if the shooting itself wasn’t reported or the fact that it happened right in front of then and they left.
Unless the cops aided the victim by kicking him to the curb at the ER
and speeding off, the fact that someone had been shot was pretty obvious.

Im going off the person who posted this was found by someone in the office reviewing dash cam footage. So the shooting. If they called the shooting in and bailed that's not that bad in my mind. But just letting it happen and not reporting the shooting is inexcusible
The simplest explanation by far is that the cops reported that someone had been shot,
but not that they had witnessed it and briefly fled the scene.

Whether they said their first clue was seeing the victim,
or hearing gunshots,
or even seeing the shooting but being "unable to pursue",
is absent from reports so far.

Oh, and here's one for NES LEOs:

If you'd witnessed someone getting shot,
and had no back-up on scene,
under what circumstances would you pursue the shooter,
and when would you stay to render aid to the victim?

If somehow mobile pursuit of a drive-by car
has different logic from a foot chase,
feel free to differentiate.

From another article:
White said the officers did return to help the man who was shot. He said the department is investigating if the officers called the shooting in.​
Now that right there is something new to the thread.

I think maybe the female cop driving the cruiser recognized the shooter,,,,
He was her boyfriend, father of her child or maybe her father,,,,

The simplest explanation by far is that the cops reported that someone had been shot,

or hearing gunshots,

I haven’t seen anywhere whether or not the guy was actually even hit.

I imagine there are a decent number of shootings every night in Detroit, many of which never get phoned in. If the cop wasn’t sitting right there recording would anyone have ever known about it (except those involved)? It’s probably easy for something like that to get swept under the rug except for the video review process.

This video doesn’t really shock or surprise me. Doesn’t seem like a situation that calls for throwing the book at her.

or hearing gunshots,

I don't need them sticking around and shooting it out lol. If they reported it im good with them. I'm honestly too lazy to go look up what happened because honestly... detroit is on par with baghdad on places i want to see in my life time.

So i hope they reported the shooting if they did I'm ok with them not going back.

Id like my officers to try and help but idk what they could've brought to the situation. So I'm not mad they left

I am going with more to the story
I would be interested in the audio from the police car and what they were doing before this

I haven’t seen anywhere whether or not the guy was actually even hit.
Says it right here:

This video doesn’t really shock or surprise me. Doesn’t seem like a situation that calls for throwing the book at her.
If the worst that happened was that...
  • The cruiser circled the block (figuratively - not literally), then rendered aid
    • -and-
  • The officers didn't mention noping away from the shooting.
...odds are good that the union will get them nothing more than a reprimand/time-out.

Id like my officers to try and help but idk what they could've brought to the situation. So I'm not mad they left
I'm sure they're not required to break cover to engage an active shooter.
(I'm sure they're supposed to report "shots fired").

That car needs a ring mount with a .50 BMG.
Ironically, if the drive-by car was sportier,
the shooter could have played jack-in-the-box out the sunroof
instead of leaning out a back window.

If the shooter had a 360° field of fire,
that would really dampen my enthusiasm for hot pursuit.

Always stay with your Vic and do what you can for them until H&H arrives. Always.

You should be aware and alert enough to provide a good description of said vehicle or runner and a direction of travel. But victims needs/life always first.

We know it's not to serve and protect(no obligation)
I never could abide the word "serve" for employees of the taxpayer. They serve the pension god for the most part. How many times have I heard, "I wanna get on the State Police or the town police?" Translates to, " I wanna hang from that teat."

I think it’s far more likely that the female cop got scared and took off. If she was complicit why the hell would she have been facing the scene knowing the cameras were recording? Makes no sense.

I agree. And while at first the idea of the cops being in on it seemed one possibility, when I slowed down the video, to me it looked like the two mopes on the driver's side - the driver and the passenger behind him - seemed to react in surprise when they looked out and saw the cruiser.

Note how they kind of spring up and look wide-eyed at the cruiser, then immediately duck down, eyes front and the driver starts to di-di mau out of there without any concern if the shooter finished his work or not.

Could be that when they were up at the end of the street waiting for their target to appear, the cruiser was obscured by something and they only noticed it when they arrived at that spot.

They see their target, it's go time, they roll up and,:

I still stand by my statement that they are connected to the gang bangers. Maybe video is leverage to hold over their head because they thought they would never be caught… not like cops or anyone else hasn’t had that attitude before.

Maybe they had the camera was pointed in that direction because they are stupid which would be evidenced by the fact that they are working with gang banger.

Are you a cop, or have you ever been a cop? If not Shut Up or Sign Up!!!!

I feel bad for all the guys and girls who are on the job that are over the pension hump, but not enough to cash out.

Why didn’t these heroes call it in or report anything? Why was this “mishap” discovered during a “routine investigation”.

I still stand by my statement that they are connected to the gang bangers. Maybe video is leverage to hold over their head because they thought they would never be caught… not like cops or anyone else hasn’t had that attitude before.

Maybe they had the camera was pointed in that direction because they are stupid which would be evidenced by the fact that they are working with gang banger.

Why didn’t these heroes call it in or report anything? Why was this “mishap” discovered during a “routine investigation”.
Who The F**k Knows!! Why don't you ask them!!!! Why do you think we have all the answers?

In today's climate I think the best response would be to FIRST and foremost REPORT IT! Get a vehicle description and plate out so other officers know there is a shooter car with an AR15 in.it.
Second render aid to the injured party if there was one. Many departments have a strict no pursuit policy, so not chasing is understandable.
In today's climate you don't have to he a hero but you can't be a zero. Call it in, allow car to flee and render aid or interview the victim. Now a days you have to at least take the report.

In today's climate you don't have to he a hero but you can't be a zero. Call it in, allow car to flee and render aid or interview the victim. Now a days you have to at least take the report.
Chicago cops are so beaten down by a corrupt bankrupt city
that they consider it a lose if they have to get out of their cruiser(*)
but even they know that you have to take the report.

(*) No, really.
There's some third rule about
never getting out of your car if you don't have to.

But I can't recapitulate it;
and the blog went dark,
so I can't dig it up again.

Back
Top Bottom