Detroit new Top Cop has an epiphany about concealed carry

Nevertheless, Craig supports some restrictions for gun ownership. Permits for concealed weapons should be gun-specific, he suggests, because residents may be able to safely handle one weapon but not another. Background checks meet with his approval as well: “I don’t think that’s a lot to ask — to identify who is purchasing a weapon.” As far as other gun-control measures, such as assault-weapons bans or regulations to limit magazine capacity, are concerned, “they’re very separate issues,” he insists. “How do you compare an assault weapon to someone being authorized to have a concealed-weapons permit? It’s like me comparing an apple to a banana.”

It's a start, I guess.

Not trying to be the dupe police here, but this story was discussed in detail 2 weeks ago:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...rime-to-Drop-Start-carrying?highlight=detroit

That thread is closed, here's an update from an article in the Michigan Chronicle dated 2/5/14:

http://michronicleonline.com/2014/02/05/detroits-top-cop-james-craig-speaks-out/

JC: What I did say is good Detroiters, good Americans who are armed and most importantly responsible can have an effect on a daily violence. And so clearly not just what James Craig believes but research supports that statement. The Department of Justice said good citizens who are armed tend to be the biggest deterrent to violent crime. We know it here in Detroit.

When did the DOJ figure this out ????
The current administration doesn't seem to have any knowledge of it. [rolleyes]

Yep, I nearly shit a brick when I saw this

Hopefully Detroit can start cleaning itself up now.

Last edited by a moderator:
If any place could benefit from a totally armed populace, it's Detroit. Armed neighborhood watch everywhere would clean up some crime, although the lack of jobs and poverty will still exist and needs to change.

Yep, I nearly shit a brick when I saw this

Hopefully Detroit can start cleaning itself up now.

wow, logic combined with reality... surprising to hear from a position of authority now-a-days. Glad someone is paying attention.

Last edited by a moderator:
If any place could benefit from a totally armed populace, it's Detroit. Armed neighborhood watch everywhere would clean up some crime, although the lack of jobs and poverty will still exist and needs to change.

A reduction in crime would be an encouragement for new businesses, which provide new jobs, which helps raise people out of poverty.

Think of all the additional costs to operate a business in a high crime area- grates, bars, bullet proof glass, security/police details, higher than average losses due to robbery/theft, higher insurance rates, constant battle vs graffitti/litter, on and on. Remove those barriers and it starts to make sense for people to start a business there.

When did the DOJ figure this out ????
The current administration doesn't seem to have any knowledge of it. [rolleyes]

Most people have forgotten, and the media likes it that way, that the AG Ashcroft issued an opinion in I think 2002 saying that the Second Amendment did protect the right of Americans to own and carry firearms.

A reduction in crime would be an encouragement for new businesses, which provide new jobs, which helps raise people out of poverty.

Think of all the additional costs to operate a business in a high crime area- grates, bars, bullet proof glass, security/police details, higher than average losses due to robbery/theft, higher insurance rates, constant battle vs graffitti/litter, on and on. Remove those barriers and it starts to make sense for people to start a business there.

Right but just getting rid of the crime doesn't fix everything. People will have no money still and it'll be a very slow and long recovery unless some type of plan is put into action to bring businesses in. White flight and then the collapse of American manufacturing made Detroit what it is today, to fix it requires a lot.

Last edited:
Right but just getting rid of the crime doesn't fix everything. People will have no money still and it'll be a very slow and long recovery unless some type of plan is put into action to bring businesses in. White flight and then the collapse of American manufacturing made Detroit what it is today, to fix it requires a lot.

1) Reduce crime.
2) Lower taxes.
3) Have a product people want.

Everyone is leaving Detroit, not just white people. A lot of black people are moving out and heading back down south. Where the weather it better, there a jobs, and the culture is better. At least that's what the couple of articles I've read on the subject say.

Then again, a lot of white people are heading to the south for the same reasons.

1) Reduce crime.
2) Lower taxes.
3) Have a product people want.

Everyone is leaving Detroit, not just white people. A lot of black people are moving out and heading back down south. Where the weather it better, there a jobs, and the culture is better. At least that's what the couple of articles I've read on the subject say.

Then again, a lot of white people are heading to the south for the same reasons.

White flight happened decades ago in Detroit, it kind of began the downfall.

There's more to it than crime, but with crime out of control, everything else is irrelevant.

Kind of, but the crime exists because of the lack of opportunities. If you fight the crime with no opportunities, crime never goes away.

Lack of opportunity is one factor. Seems to be a vicious cycle that feeds off of itself. Crime=less opportunity=more crime=even less opportunity. There's very few things in life that can be remedied with a single solution. I shouldnt make it sound like crime is the only issue, because any rational person would agree its not. I guess my point was with rampant crime, youre not going to have any long term job prospects in the community. Businesses are going to open up shop somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom