• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Detectors at school.

{i]”The Prince William County School Board signed a $10.6 million, four-year contract this month to lease Evolv’s screeners for the county’s middle and high schools….

“Any student who wants to bring in a weapon can get around a weapon detector, AI or not,” said Andrew Guthrie Ferguson, a professor at American University Washington College of Law. “It’s sad that we’re teaching them to live with this surveillance.”

… Last year, the school district in Utica, N.Y., spent $3.7 million on Evolv scanners but removed them from schools in October after a student made it through with a knife in his backpack and stabbed another student multiple times during a hallway fight. The scanners will also probably do little to protect against weapons during after-school programming or threats outside the building. According to The Post’s database of school shootings as of May 1, at least 14 of 21 shootings this year happened outside school buildings, in cars or parking lots.[\i]

That’s 30 schools at $88,333 per school, per year. That’s enough to pay for an armed cop at every school, every day. If an additional layer of security - fine. But machines/AI do not replace humans at this stage. I’m still amazed that Denver’s school district had 40 students undergoing daily pat-downs to enter school as their woke school board was unwilling to suspend young criminals. Sure, suspensions don’t help the kids suspended, but the idea to to keep everyone else safer. “Disrupting the school-to-jail pipeline” to alter the “racially disproportionate” result of police in schools is how you get this shit.

Most of the liberal WaPo commenters just say damn the NRA/GOP and send the parents to jail. Do they think these kids come from homes with two Republican parents? Most come from single-parent Black/Brown homes where the father is already dead or in prison.

Last edited:
If I was responsible for building security and their customers / patrons, It would be metal detectors, then use Evolv as secondary detector / scanner to check for other non metallic contraband, pat downs, and finally handbag / manbag checks. I don't agree with all of this but it's not my company or venue. Any machine / computer can be fooled at any time as it is programmed by humans. The machines are not fool proof as one or a marketing person would lend you to believe.

We home school but we're broke off our asses as a result. Still worth it but boy is it limiting.
I understand the pain but it is worth it.

And we used honors curriculum so buying used wasn't an option most times.

Little Cesar's pizza and BK coupons for entertainment gets old.

The situation is made even more difficult by having so many entrances/exits at every school. Someone somewhere is always propping doors open out of convenience. Parents don't respect the sign in/check in at office rules, and kids will always help their buddies do bad things. You can't fix that with a machine at the front door. Hell, we saw what happens when someone just shoots through the glass and walks in. It's just more "we've got to DO something!" nonsense. Would an AI help? Sure, give the AI parameters and histories of past incidences, and watch school boards shut them down when they start pointing out the kids to watch... Or when they start doing comprehensive security analysis of the buildings and start pointing out staffers who prop doors open. At most schools bus and parent drop off is chaotic at best. You can control it somewhat but there are ALWAYS parents that don't think the rules apply to them. Kids are going to do stupid stuff like smuggle something bad in, USUALLY without murderous intent, and staff should know that by now, but parents are the ones that really screw up procedures and make it difficult to keep kids safe, at least that's what I've seen. My wife is a principal at a rural school with 100 students, I just graduated with my elementary education degree (at 50!). In my program, at least, school security was NEVER addressed by anyone, except one teacher whom I was observing for a few months. And her insights were laughable.

My son does not go to the school my wife runs, and I think in the fall, I'll be home schooling him. We know how much money I'll have to make on the side to make it viable, but I think it'll be worth it. IF he was able to go to her school, I'd consider it because I know where her priorities are and I know all of the many security upgrades she's brought in just the first year, but the school he's at, no way, no more. Hell, she was asked if she wanted metal detectors, she asked to replace all the glass at the front doors instead. Even though it would be cheaper and more effective, she was denied. At my son's school, all they are concerned about for school security is addressing bullying. And that's something that should be looked at, but that building has over a dozen entrances, and I've seen some of them propped open. And this is rural Vermont, some kid goes in there wanting to shoot up the place, he's not likely to miss.

Sure, give the AI parameters and histories of past incidences, and watch school boards shut them down when they start pointing out the kids to watch... Or when they start doing comprehensive security analysis of the buildings and start pointing out staffers who prop doors open.

This x 1,000. Once the AI flags the Town Council President's grandson, the AI is gone the next day.

Back
Top Bottom