Detailed steps on how to apply for a license in Boston

So, this is a very long thread with lots and lots of revisions to the OPs first posts years ago.

My son lives in South Boston. He would like to apply for his permit. Can someone here tie together this post and list the requirements necessary to obtain a Boston carry permit along with approximate cost? That would be excellent.

Rome (Connecticut)

So, this is a very long thread with lots and lots of revisions to the OPs first posts years ago.

My son lives in South Boston. He would like to apply for his permit. Can someone here tie together this post and list the requirements necessary to obtain a Boston carry permit along with approximate cost? That would be excellent.

Rome (Connecticut)
You need to take an approved class ~$100
You need to pay for the application $100
You need to qualify at moon island free

That gets you a restricted ltc (no carry)

If he wants to carry, add an additional ~$300 or so

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Well you might save some money.What does your son do for a living?

He's an architect, a good one, too. He moved to Boston for his company from California (I know, out of the frying pan into the fire) but I've got all his stuff here in CT where he can visit whenever he wants.

I appreciate the synopsis. I'll let him know it's here as he belongs to this forum but doesn't have a lot of time to investigate like I do. He's got to pay more attention to my one and only 2 year old granddaughter, after all!

Rome

He's an architect, a good one, too. He moved to Boston for his company from California (I know, out of the frying pan into the fire) but I've got all his stuff here in CT where he can visit whenever he wants.

I appreciate the synopsis. I'll let him know it's here as he belongs to this forum but doesn't have a lot of time to investigate like I do. He's got to pay more attention to my one and only 2 year old granddaughter, after all!

Rome
I don't know about frying pan to fire. CA is getting worse faster than MA and with their recent ban on prebans is probably worse. I certainly wouldn't move from here to there.

I just picked up my LTC today at BPD headquarters... 45 days from my interview.
Restricted to Sport, Target & Hunting. Still, it's better than nothing. When I renew I may try to get an unrestricted license.
I do have to say that the officer who interviewed me and oversaw my application process was very nice and professional and as far as the licensing procedure goes in MA it was a very positive experience.

Now its off to the gun shop!

PS Jeremiah thank you for starting this thread. It has been a real inspiration to those of us who live in Boston and had not been optimistic about ever getting a license. You and others have proved it CAN be done.

I just picked up my LTC today at BPD headquarters... 45 days from my interview.
Restricted to Sport, Target & Hunting. Still, it's better than nothing. When I renew I may try to get an unrestricted license.
I do have to say that the officer who interviewed me and oversaw my application process was very nice and professional and as far as the licensing procedure goes in MA it was a very positive experience.

Now its off to the gun shop!

PS Jeremiah thank you for starting this thread. It has been a real inspiration to those of us who live in Boston and had not been optimistic about ever getting a license. You and others have proved it CAN be done.

Congratulations on your license. Just out of curiosity, did they ask you to come in to pick it up? Mine was mailed to me.

I had to pick mine up. I specifically remember because I took an uber from work on my lunch break to pick it up.

I had to pick mine up. I specifically remember because I took an uber from work on my lunch break to pick it up.
When I got mine a few years ago, someone called to tell me it was in and going in the mail. I then requested to pick it up instead because I didn't want to wait :)

Congratulations on your license. Just out of curiosity, did they ask you to come in to pick it up? Mine was mailed to me.

I actually called the BPD after 44 days had elapsed just to check on the progress of my application. It was when I called that they told me the license had just come in so I asked them to hold it for me so I could pick it up.

My son recently moved from Arlington with a No Restrictions LTC to Hyde Park so that he and his wife could be closer to work and our family. He's in the process of filling out change of address forms to submit to various agencies. What is likelihood BPD will take away his No Restrictions?

My son recently moved from Arlington with a No Restrictions LTC to Hyde Park so that he and his wife could be closer to work and our family. He's in the process of filling out change of address forms to submit to various agencies. What is likelihood BPD will take away his No Restrictions?

He doesn't have to worry until he renews.

FYI, just called for a renewal appointment and the first one available was six weeks out. The range test is usually two weeks after, so that’s two full months. Plan accordingly.

They were very friendly on the phone.

They won't downgrade on a COA, they used to downgrade on a renewal but recent reports (past couple years) have indicated they stopped downgrading on move in renewals.

-Mike

FYI, just called for a renewal appointment and the first one available was six weeks out. The range test is usually two weeks after, so that’s two full months. Plan accordingly.

Moon Island in March, -10 degrees, 25mph wind off the water, sleet covering the goggles, numb fingers, anyway I can change my birthday?

Rome (Connecticut)

If your son has not shot in a while, I would suggest that he go through the Moon Island test with a qualified instructor. PM me if interested.

Moon Island in March, -10 degrees, 25mph wind off the water, sleet covering the goggles, numb fingers, anyway I can change my birthday?
Mine was in January, 17 degrees and windy. It's an easy test, you should be fine.

I am up for my renewal soon (praying to the LTC-A gods I don't get downgraded after I moved into Boston) but have more of a logistical question about getting to Moon Island. I won't have access to my vehicle due to winter storage, so taking an UBER from N.Quincy MBTA station to and from Moon Island is the right way to go?

Back
Top Bottom