Design my slides - Ideas for custom milling on Glocks

Any people with a good eye for design?

I have a local guy I have been going to for slidework. He did a Glock 43 for me back when no one was cutting for the Shield RMS. He did a great job. He evened machined the bosses around the mounting holes for the optic which I have not found a ton of people to be doing. (Most are a completely flat surface for optic mounting)

I now have a G43X and G48 with him and am trying to decide on what to do. So what better way than to get the opinions of others on this forum.

Goals:
1. Reduce a bit of weight to compensate for the weight of the optic and then some
2. A bit of grip - I've never been a huge fan of factory serrations. The window I have on my current G43 is great but I realized I don't need a full window. A recess is fine.

What I asked him for:
1. Cut for Shield RMS-C or RMS-W (same as the Shield RMS0
2. Angle cut the top fronts of the slide to reduce some of the weight
3. Round the transition from angle cut to ejection port
4. Some sort of recess up front for aesthetics and/or press checks (Here is where I struggle.)

I don't need really fancy cuts everywhere. I don't need holes drilled into the slide. I don't need a lot of fancy patterns. Mostly stock with some light differences are fine with me. These will be carry guns.

Ok here are the pics. He has tried a rectangular recess and shadow boxed it as well. Then I asked him to try a cone type of shape. I'm not sold on either one and don't want him to spend a ton of time designing.

cropped.jpg

Rectangular Design:
7145574a535543469a395de0abf26fb4373a4f11-1S_1280.jpg
b81f294d81b904f62778faa01a098bd8cb98ad7a-1S_1280.jpg
98cbdee7e1bde76899842aca77403b24d07aec82-1S_1280.jpg

Cone design:
23d65b263969249aeddb49453d9688d3b6f120d1-1S_1280.jpg
Single cut
57dbfc71b634107faef004e3b04390afeb38ec3b-1S_1280.jpg
Shadow boxed
d3871f807bbe6d3cd614477120e5f653a0f9fcc6-1S_1280.jpg

I have another Glock 43 on the way that I want milled for Shie;d Rms sight, who did you use

He's a local guy in Manchester, NH. I drop my stuff off to him at his house. He has access to a full shop and does this on the side.
Great to work with as he draws up the designs and works through email with me.

Last edited:
Not sure if I can immediately contribute, but curious about that 3D render file. Does he have exact dimension model files that could be shared? I'd love to mess around with them for potential designs.

Not sure if I can immediately contribute, but curious about that 3D render file. Does he have exact dimension model files that could be shared? I'd love to mess around with them for potential designs.

I'm pretty sure he measured them himself. When he did my RMS he needed the optic as well to measure for cutting.

Why not just cut more serrations and/or deepen the existing ones?
Yup. I could do that. If anything it'd be deepening the existing ones. I don't think I'd need more.

But that's just a little boring for me. If I'm going to pay someone to cut into the area I kind of want something more fun purely for giggles as long as it doesn't negatively affect function.

You can look at some of Zev slides for inspiration. I love their designs.
Yup.
I have one of them and have some experience another one of their designs. They are awesome and extremely well done.
The one thing I would recommend to anyone buying their slides is to clean out the striker channel with a Q tip before use.

They are a bit too flashy for me for the 43. I have looked and the only thing I could think of was to put a small recess the shape of a rounded rhombus in the front serration area...but had second thoughts.

2 votes for cheesy.

Another thought was the conical design at the front of the slide. If you had to rack your slide from up there during use, wouldn't the heat from the barrel be in that area and be a pain in the keester?

Back
Top Bottom