• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Denying a constitutional right due to age. This lawsuit might actually have merit.

I was talking with a friend last night - we're hoping RBG takes a dirt nap this week. This will allow a (hopefully) solid pro-2A supreme court to be able to hear all this BS.

Could be a good thing? The left pushes until it forces a supreme court decision that costs them everything. Pipe dream, but I'm hoping.

I'm sure rental car companies have been doing that for years.

That's more an insurance company requirement I think but renting a car is not a constitutional right. Still no reason to discriminate against younger drivers. If they can get licensed and insured then what's the problem?

Tough one. He might have a case based on age discrimination, but I believe FFLs have the right to deny sales to anyone they feel like, they don’t HAVE to sell a gun to someone they feel are suspicious for example.

Tough one. He might have a case based on age discrimination, but I believe FFLs have the right to deny sales to anyone they feel like, they don’t HAVE to sell a gun to someone they feel are suspicious for example.
As long as they don’t deny a gay themed wedding cake. That is illegal.

Govt will argue safety/it’s for the children under the Heller exception. But i agree with the above who say that if you should have to bake a cake for LGBT then you should not have your 2A rights infringed if you are at least 18. Goes back to the fact that if you can vote and serve in the military to die for our country then you should be able to purchase a firearm in the country that you signed up to defend.

Why not 21 or 25 or 50. These numbers are random with nothing more than pandering emotion behind them. There will be lawsuits and I will participate in one. Having taught many young adults and teens firearm and hunting safety I consider it pretty fckn bad to now say "You can have a family, Job, Home ,Vote , Put your love on the line with firearms BUT we don't trust you to Turkey hunt never mind protect your family by yourself. Oh but we will craft legislation based on a tide pod eating teenagers opinion

Right, but this is different. This is a blanket policy based solely on the age of the consumer.

Beats me if this flies (non-lawyer), but a published blanket policy of "we won't sell to this particluar type of customer," when that denial is based on a "protected" characteristic, is different than saying "I can deny sales to sketchy folks."

I wonder how the liberals woul feel about raising the voting age to 21

I believe it is pretty involved to overturn an amendment unless you are an AG and don't agree with the law....so good Luck.....

Twenty-sixth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia

Twenty-sixth Amendment to the United States Constitution

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.

Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.[1]

On March 23, 1971, a proposal to lower the voting age to 18 years was adopted by both houses of Congress and sent to the states for ratification. The amendment became part of the Constitution on July 1, 1971, three months and eight days after the amendment was submitted to the states for ratification, making this amendment the quickest to be ratified.

"They can't set their own age limit because the statute has already done that," Hargreaves says. "They don't have any authority because the statute specifically says you can't as a merchant discriminate against either young people or old people. If you're selling something you have to sell it to anyone who is entitled to buy it by law."

"The legislature makes the determination of what the age limit is for doing things—they said 21 for drinking and 18 for buying guns," he says. "If you're a general merchant you don't get to change that because that's the job of the legislature."

Back
Top Bottom