• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Denver PD shoots and kills a driver. More race baiting.

Hispanic is a race similar to European or African and not a "skin tone" such as white or black.

Maybe I am over thinking this, but isn't Hispanic related to the old country of "Hispania" (home of modern day Spain, and last I checked, part of Europe) So....her Hispanic roots should not matter as she was European.

This is why these labels make no sense to me. I can trace part of my family back to France by way of Canada, and the other part is a mix of English, French and New England area Native people. What the hell does that make me? I say "American" or "Human" but then again, I am probably just being silly.

Haven't met many Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, or Panamanians, have you?

I have a Latina friend who was born in Cuba, where most people would be described as "black". She's 5'10", slender, blond, fair-skinned, and blue-eyed.

That was sarcasm from the perspective of the Government The term hispanic really is a ridiculous construct overall. It could be anyone of any actual race as long as they have some culture from spanish speaking countries, . . . except for spain. A Spaniard is not hispanic. Make sense?? No? I know.

And yes, I know that in many south american countries, there are several distinct racial groups. Usually at least 3:

1) local, indigenous people.
2) descendants of Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, or even Japanese settlers in the case of Peru.
3) descendants of freed African slaves.

I dated a Cuban girl who blonde with green eyes. Although the rest of the stereotypes fit, for better and for worse. Ha.

For what it is worth, I am Hispanic per federal standards. I'm 1/4 Argentinian, of Italian descent.

Last edited:
Maybe I am over thinking this, but isn't Hispanic related to the old country of "Hispania" (home of modern day Spain, and last I checked, part of Europe) So....her Hispanic roots should not matter as she was European.

This is why these labels make no sense to me. I can trace part of my family back to France by way of Canada, and the other part is a mix of English, French and New England area Native people. What the hell does that make me? I say "American" or "Human" but then again, I am probably just being silly.

Right. Treat people like humans.

"Jessie didn’t deserve to die, even if she indeed used a stolen car as a weapon. Her life was taken because it was deemed unimportant and disposable because an officer decided his sense of safety was worth more than her life".

I disagree. All human life is sacred.

Right. Treat people like humans.

If we assume that everyone has the basic right to live until you do something that harms another person or inhibits their rights, and we all simply treated everyone as a person, dispensing with the labels that get tossed on them all the time, I think the world would be a better place. In short, act like a civilized human and be treated like one.

Hell, I was leaving Best Buy earlier, helped a guy and his son load a new TV into their SUV, son has Downs, Dad thanked me, son shook my hand and hugged me (I am NOT a hugger) but I smiled and treated the young man with respect because he is a human and deserves it. Sure, he invaded my personal space, but once dad reminded him that hugs are for family he apologized right away. (the son)

Bottom line, no one should judge one life as less valuable than another because they are all equal right up until the moment you force someone to put their life, or the lives of those they care about first. Once that happens, your life is forfeit as far as I am concerned.

"Jessie didn’t deserve to die, even if she indeed used a stolen car as a weapon. Her life was taken because it was deemed unimportant and disposable because an officer decided his sense of safety was worth more than her life".

I disagree. All human life is sacred.

She used the car as a weapon, and broke the leg of an officer in the process. That brings this to "assault with a deadly weapon" and the officers were fully justified in responding with a deadly weapon. PSGWSP.

She used the car as a weapon, and broke the leg of an officer in the process. That brings this to "assault with a deadly weapon" and the officers were fully justified in responding with a deadly weapon. PSGWSP.

If that is what happened. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened AFTER she was shot. I think a far more likely scenario is that she was simply trying to leave and run from the cops then try to run them over.

The best comes from a comment or named "katie" on that Autostraddle story. She's a black lesbian who is on the side of Reason.

"katie
It’s horrible that this girl died, and so violently.

But she was ****ing driving a stolen car at a police officer. How would anyone here feel if they were in an alleyway and someone was driving a car right at them? Do we know how fast she was going? Sometimes people make split-second decisions for self-defense.

The police are permitted to shoot if they believe that a life, including their own, is at risk. Eric Garner illegally selling cigarettes did not put anyone’s life at risk. Trayvon Martin wearing a hoodie did not put anyone’s life at risk. Trans women just existing do not put anyone’s life at risk.

Driving a car at another human being (even if they are a *gasp* police officer) puts someone’s life at risk.

I’m a black and gender nonconforming lesbian but I’ve noticed a trend in social justice communities where simply because someone is part of a minority group they are automatically deemed right in all words and deeds.

Just because someone is a trans woman, a queer person, a POC, or any combination of these identities does not make them automatically right in every situation. There are times when trans women, queer people, and POC **** up, (and in the case of flagrantly violating the law and putting lives at risk, **** up majorly) and they should be held accountable just like everyone else.

I don’t want to be infantilized as a black person, a lesbian, or a gender nonconformist, being treated like I cannot be held accountable for my actions and every time something unpleasant happens to me it is someone else’s fault entirely, and neither should any other member of a minority.

Of course there are times when people in positions of power are racist, sexist, or anti-LGBT, but I don’t believe this is one of those cases."

Think about it: the best person to ever argue against any [insert adjective-laden marginalized group] is one of their own who gives them the biggest F-YOU by supporting the facts and only the facts.

BTW: I'm proudly (not arrogantly) Hispanic, never have/will use the "race card", and believe that God and Patriotism are central to our American values.

EXACTLY. This is unnecessary association meant to spark an emotional response. There was no way the cops could have known she was a lesbian prior to shooting her unless she was doing something else other than driving.

This was my only point. I do not have any opinions on whether it was justified.

Also the article states it was ruled as a homicide. Correct me if I'm wrong but no matter if it was justified or not, you would be charged with homicide after killing a person. Justification would be determined afterwards. Homicide is a broad definition of one person killing another person intentionally including but not limited to murder.
Like I said I might be wrong about that.

The story came off of a lesbian web site. Judging by just a quick perusal of some of the other headlines - pretty much everything there is about being a lesbian or "identifying" as some sort of "group".

Usually when I end up on a site like that - I spend a few minutes looking to see if there's any sort of articles about hot lesbians - so at least it wasn't a complete waste of time to read the original story (Miss Spains is a hottie):

http://www.autostraddle.com/21-amaz...-showed-up-or-got-girlfriends-in-2014-269887/

Almost had a heart attack when I saw Debbie Harry's name on that article, but then it says she's only bi, not gay. I was like... duh...

Some of those people really didn't HAVE to come out... We knew...

kristen-merlin-640x360.jpg

I can't remember the last time I was driving a stolen car so perhaps I can't mentally bond with this dumb chick. If you put yourself in harm's way don't be shocked when you absorb some 'harm'

I can't remember the last time I was driving a stolen car so perhaps I can't mentally bond with this dumb chick. If you put yourself in harm's way don't be shocked when you absorb some 'harm'
I remember it like yesterday...

However it was my parents car (they were at church) and my frigging cousin turned me in (just to my parents, not to my uncle, the chief, thank goodness). They held off signing my learners permit for a year, as punishment...

The statue of imitations passed decades ago, so don't even bother turning me in LOL

The story came off of a lesbian web site. Judging by just a quick perusal of some of the other headlines - pretty much everything there is about being a lesbian or "identifying" as some sort of "group".

Usually when I end up on a site like that - I spend a few minutes looking to see if there's any sort of articles about hot lesbians - so at least it wasn't a complete waste of time to read the original story (Miss Spains is a hottie):

http://www.autostraddle.com/21-amaz...-showed-up-or-got-girlfriends-in-2014-269887/
You're right I didn't notice that. I originally found it on facebook. Every news site that used gay or lesbian in their headlines was a LBGT site.

The protesters still seem to think her being gay or Latina had something to do about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can respect her reasoned and well spoken argument. Good post.

The best comes from a comment or named "katie" on that Autostraddle story. She's a black lesbian who is on the side of Reason.

"katie
It’s horrible that this girl died, and so violently.

But she was ****ing driving a stolen car at a police officer. How would anyone here feel if they were in an alleyway and someone was driving a car right at them? Do we know how fast she was going? Sometimes people make split-second decisions for self-defense.

The police are permitted to shoot if they believe that a life, including their own, is at risk. Eric Garner illegally selling cigarettes did not put anyone’s life at risk. Trayvon Martin wearing a hoodie did not put anyone’s life at risk. Trans women just existing do not put anyone’s life at risk.

Driving a car at another human being (even if they are a *gasp* police officer) puts someone’s life at risk.

I’m a black and gender nonconforming lesbian but I’ve noticed a trend in social justice communities where simply because someone is part of a minority group they are automatically deemed right in all words and deeds.

Just because someone is a trans woman, a queer person, a POC, or any combination of these identities does not make them automatically right in every situation. There are times when trans women, queer people, and POC **** up, (and in the case of flagrantly violating the law and putting lives at risk, **** up majorly) and they should be held accountable just like everyone else.

I don’t want to be infantilized as a black person, a lesbian, or a gender nonconformist, being treated like I cannot be held accountable for my actions and every time something unpleasant happens to me it is someone else’s fault entirely, and neither should any other member of a minority.

Of course there are times when people in positions of power are racist, sexist, or anti-LGBT, but I don’t believe this is one of those cases."

Think about it: the best person to ever argue against any [insert adjective-laden marginalized group] is one of their own who gives them the biggest F-YOU by supporting the facts and only the facts.

BTW: I'm proudly (not arrogantly) Hispanic, never have/will use the "race card", and believe that God and Patriotism are central to our American values.

Back
Top Bottom