dented brass .223

.223 brass.jpgCan anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I am de-priming and sizing .223 brass. I noticed dents on a couple of the tapered parts. It looks like a potato chip, wavy all the way around it.
I took the die apart and cleaned it. I didn't notice any build up of lube or any dirt. The dies are new. I have only run 75 or so pieces so far. I noticed the dents on 4 of them.
Any ideas?
Thanks, edmxz2002

RCBS single stage press.
Lee .223 dies.
American eagle brass, once fired by me.
RCBS case lube pad and lube that came with it.

so, you're putting the dents in?

assuming you're lubing them. edit: just read the bottom half :p

are you following proper depth setup?

Too much lube is the first thing that comes to mind. I use spray lube. It's much faster and I don't get any dented cases.

This. I just made up some homemade lube with lanolin oil and 99% isopropyl alcohol. Seems to work well by spraying a bunch of cases in a cardboard box and shaking them around.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I read some other threads and started putting the lube on with my fingers. It goes on thinner and I got another 200 cases done with no dented cases. I will try the one lube next time.

I've also had good luck with One Shot.

I fill used 9mm trays with 50 .223 cases, spray at ~45 degrees (like that video says) and I hit three sides. I used to do two sides but I was getting some with too little lube. Last time I filled up five trays at a time since I only had five trays.

When the One Shot runs out I'm going to try the lanolin/alcohol technique.

When the One Shot runs out I'm going to try the lanolin/alcohol technique.

Same here. Well I was getting really low on one shot and had the lanolin and IPA kicking around since last winter and decided I need to make some. Heated up some water in the microwave and soaked the lanolin and IPA containers in the warm water to make it easier to mix in the spray bottle.

I briefly talk about my lube recipe in the reloading megathread:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ently?p=4809810&highlight=Lanolin#post4809810

Last edited:
You can get it at a NAPA or other automotive stores too besides Amazon. NAPA had its own version on sale just recently for $1.99 if I remember correctly.

Where do you all find 99% isopropyl? Just ordered the lanolin.

This. I just made up some homemade lube with lanolin oil and 99% isopropyl alcohol. Seems to work well by spraying a bunch of cases in a cardboard box and shaking them around.

My wife buys Spring Salad mix in a plastic container with an hinged lid...I throw a bunch of cases in there, spray them down with Dillon case lube, shake them for a few seconds and then open the lid for a couple of minutes until the alcohol evaporates...

My wife buys Spring Salad mix in a plastic container with an hinged lid...I throw a bunch of cases in there, spray them down with Dillon case lube, shake them for a few seconds and then open the lid for a couple of minutes until the alcohol evaporates...

Same here. different container, same method.

Just a note on the dents. Sometimes, if you're tumbling with dry media a piece will be on a case when you run it through the die. Most of the time that one case dents and the piece comes out. One time I actually had a piece get stuck inside the die and I had to scrape it out with a bore brush. So if you start seeing a mysterious dent in the same location, give the die look.

On lube, I'll never touch One Shot again. That "lube" should not exist. I was having all sorts of stuck case issues using it. Switched to Lanolin and the change was amazing. Nothing resizes with as little effort as lanolin lube. You can buy it from Dillon as well if you're not prefixing your own. In a standard spray bottle it's 3-4 squirts to do 400 cases in a box. Shake box, let dry for 10min.

On lube, I'll never touch One Shot again. That "lube" should not exist. I was having all sorts of stuck case issues using it. Switched to Lanolin and the change was amazing. Nothing resizes with as little effort as lanolin lube. You can buy it from Dillon as well if you're not prefixing your own. In a standard spray bottle it's 3-4 squirts to do 400 cases in a box. Shake box, let dry for 10min.

Completely agree. Lanolin is MUCH better than one shot.

Only downside is it stays on the case, where after a bit a case done with one shot doesn't seem to have any lube on it.

That's a small price to pay for lube that actually works.

I use a cardboard box. If you start with a fresh box, I recommend spraying the inside of the box first and letting it dry. Creates a little layer and prevents the box from pulling the lube off the first batch you run.

- - - Updated - - -

I use a Ziploc bag that way you can mush them around to get an even coating and keep your hands out of it.

Who has time to lube brass in small batches like that?

I use a cardboard box. If you start with a fresh box, I recommend spraying the inside of the box first and letting it dry. Creates a little layer and prevents the box from pulling the lube off the first batch you run.

- - - Updated - - -

Same, I use the top of a case of printer paper. One layer is several hundred cases, so it only takes 15 seconds to spray, shake, and respray 4-500 cases. Dump them in feeder and start cranking them out.

As it has been answered multiple times, hydraulic denting.

I too use lanolin mixed with HEET (red), which is 99% ispropyl.

I use a gallon ziploc, and a couple of sprays. Shake it up, open the bag and let it air dry for a minute or two, and get started!

Back
Top Bottom