DENIED

OK heres the deal I went to the meeting with the chief he stated because whats still on my record from my divorce in ma it is denied. Now in RI i need to have expunged any ideas?

Last edited:
Assuming Lincoln is Lincoln RI (not MA)?

You should contact Atty Keith Langer, he is from Wrentham MA but admitted to the RI Bar. He should be familiar with what you might need to do to get the case taken off your record, if that is even possible in RI.

Good luck.

One critical question:

Is the chief denying you because he considers the arrest record to render you unsuitable, or because he thinks that the CWOF is a statutory disqualifier? The approach to getting the license can vary based on the answer to that question. If it's "suitability", purging the record won't help. If it's a misunderstanding of the statutory disqualification issue, a decent attorney may be able to effectively negotiate for you.

Keith Langer is an excellent choice as a starting point.

Have the moderators delete this thread. Details posted here are not helpful to your case. Get yourself a firearms attorney, listen to him, and STFU online about it until it is resolved.

Don't you have LEOSA coverage? It's limited in what it allows, but it's better than nothing.

Don't you have LEOSA coverage? It's limited in what it allows, but it's better than nothing.

Don't know about RI, but I do know that MA doesn't look kindly on USCG being LEO. I heard that out of Chief Glidden's mouth, just after he said that he had done a stint in the USCG prior to police work and didn't consider Boarding Officers as LEOs.

I'd think that pulling the LEOSA card for other than municipal/state police officers is very iffy at best (in spite of the NY ruling) and an expensive venture to prove a point. I know that myself, as a Constable, would never make that attempt.

No doubt. And given the judges in MA and RI, you might lose.

There was a case in NY where a judge found a Coastie as LEOSA covered ... however, this precedent is of no value outside NY State (and possibly of no/limited value outside that particular court's jurisdiction). I would not be surprised to see it go the other way, with a court finding that Cost Guard is like the Army - unlimited carry privs when under official orders; no special standing for the individual when not acting under orders.

Don't know about RI, but I do know that MA doesn't look kindly on USCG being LEO. I heard that out of Chief Glidden's mouth, just after he said that he had done a stint in the USCG prior to police work and didn't consider Boarding Officers as LEOs.

I'd think that pulling the LEOSA card for other than municipal/state police officers is very iffy at best (in spite of the NY ruling) and an expensive venture to prove a point. I know that myself, as a Constable, would never make that attempt.

The OP is now in RI, and I don't know how their local LE feel about LEOSA. What I was getting at is that it could be used to the OP's benefit, depending on the circumstances, whether he used it to carry or to put his case in a positive light to get a local permit.

There was a case in NY where a judge found a Coastie as LEOSA covered ... however, this precedent is of no value outside NY State (and possibly of no/limited value outside that particular court's jurisdiction). I would not be surprised to see it go the other way, with a court finding that Cost Guard is like the Army - unlimited carry privs when under official orders; no special standing for the individual when not acting under orders.

It's fairly common for courts to examine the laws (and legal rulings) in other states when hashing out defining language in their own laws. LEOSA is an infant law with very few test cases, so the NY opinion will probably still carry some weight.

I'm assuming that the NY case you're talking about is the Orange County case involving Benjamin Booth? He was cross-sworn with USMS at the time, but that's not at all well known; the court ruling didn't even mention that tidbit, so it does appear that he was covered by his specific Coastie position alone. FWIW, a Coastie in NJ had a carrying charge dismissed because they were found to be covered by LEOSA, so it's not just a NY ruling.

I would not be surprised to see it go the other way, with a court finding that Cost Guard is like the Army - unlimited carry privs when under official orders; no special standing for the individual when not acting under orders.

By statute many Coasties are FLEO's with arrest powers though, it's different duties and powers than most military members.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom