• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

denied for an ltc

Hey guys I'm looking for an answer for a friend of mines who was denied for an ltc. He never went to appeal the denial, can he still apply for an fid? Turns out he may be federally prohibited.

If he is federally prohibited I'm not sure what good an FID would do him. He's still not legally allowed to own modern firearms as a PP.

-Mike

I would be very careful here.

The mere fact he is eligible for a FID due to the 5 year "look back" period elapsing does not ensure his eligibility under Federal law.

He should determine if he is in fact a FPP prior to applying, as MA will issue FIDs to FPPs, but that will not prevent, nor serve as a defense to, Federal prosecution under 18 USC 922(g)(1).

Hey guys I'm looking for an answer for a friend of mines who was denied for an ltc. He never went to appeal the denial, can he still apply for an fid? Turns out he may be federally prohibited.

Was the crime he was convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor?

He had a felony charge when he was younger I'm not sure if that makes him an fpp but I assume it would

The issue isn't what he was charged with. The issue is whether he was convicted and if so, the charge for which he was convicted.

As M1911 said, the determinative factors are:

1. Whether or not there was a conviction; and
2. Whether the charge was a misdemeanor or felony

Generally, conviction of a felony with a potential penalty in excess of one year incarceration (or a misdemeanor with a potential penalty in excess of two years incarceration), regardless of the actual penalty imposed, renders one a FPP*.

*unless, as terra noted, the conviction was for a "...Federal or State offenses pertaining to antitrust violations, unfair trade practices, restraints of trade, or other similar offenses relating to the regulation of business practices..." (18 USC 921(a)(20)).

Without facts, this is all kind of pointless. No offense.

I understand what you mean I was just here trying to help out a friend who has the same love of guns as I do but ill try to get some more info and post it for a better chance of some answers for him.

Back
Top Bottom