1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Denied FID renewal

Discussion in 'Massachusetts Laws' started by XavierHaverhill, Jun 18, 2019.

1. bigpick

bigpick NES Member

At least someone will be running against the mayor this time around instead of running uncontested.

whacko likes this.

2. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

Welcome to government. It’s always the people who have the least experience or knowledge of the people and/or issues making the decisions.

3. SgtHal75

SgtHal75 NES Member

Dude, “preponderance of evidence”????? Something smells funny with this whole thread and what you’ve been saying, there’s no way one dismissal that many years ago you would be denied a renewal... not trying to pick a fight with you But I think there is more than this then what you are telling us. I think you’re a damn fool to go into hearing without a lawyer...anyways best of luck to you ( I mean it sincerely) I think it’s time to finally put this thread to bed.

4. ISOTOX

ISOTOX NES Member

N of the Rebublic. SE of Alba and W of Ling Ling
    Said it early on...I absolutly agree.

SgtHal75 likes this.
  5. whacko

whacko

The more I think about this...... new licensing officer or not.......the chief in haverhill has always kept haverhill a Green town. Can't see why a renewal with no new "issues" since the first license was approved would be a denial now.

Mountain, SgtHal75 and ISOTOX like this.
  6. XavierHaverhill

XavierHaverhill

Did I say one dismissal? No. Its two cases with a ton of individual charges. The vandalism charge out of Haverhill certainly doesn't help. The point being that I screwed up BAD in 2005/6 and I had all the charged continued and dismissed. Absolutely nothing has happened since, I've been a model citizen.

The law says preponderance of evidence, basically more evidence against me getting my fid than for in order to find me unsuitable.

7. SERE

SERE NES Life Member NES Member

I have stayed out the thread since this post that he actually spoke with a 2A attorney. It seems he has legal advice. Wish you well with that thick folder of dropped or continued charges.

Matt

AHM and ISOTOX like this.
  8. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

Don’t count on the judge to follow the law or for him to interpret the law the way you do. This won’t be a level playing field and the judge will be predisposed to find for the police department. Your attorney's job is to keep them honest.

VetteGirlMA, cockpitbob, KVX and 4 others like this.
  9. XavierHaverhill

XavierHaverhill

Thank you. I'll be requesting a copy of the petition and "evidence" tomorrow. I'll also be picking up the receipt/report from surrendering my firearm and ammunition.

AHM likes this.
  10. mrmike7189

mrmike7189

I had a case continued and dismissed (1999.) Every time I renew my LTC , the Police keep bringing it up, and I keep saying" It's not a disqualifier!" and then I get my license renewed. It cause a delay everytime.
    They ARE looking to deny everybody.
    It's no secret.
    Fight for your rights!!!!!!!!

Jason Flare likes this.
  11. rudiewhitebwoy

rudiewhitebwoy NES Life Member NES Member

I have no idea, I've never met the man, but I've known his brother over 30 years. When Esty Lumber closed 8 or 9 years ago, he came to work for me.

12. namedpipes

namedpipes

Listen to the man, OP.

13. XavierHaverhill

XavierHaverhill

Just figuring out the money

14. 42!

42! NES Life Member NES Member

Just a thought, was there an officer Benedetti or Doherty involved in your original arrest? They tend to have long memories. I had a little disagreement with officer x once, now he's Captain x, and probably still violating people's rights.

The red/green ratings often referred to on NES only deal with the issuing of restricted/unrestricted LTCs, nothing about denials v. approvals. Very easy to be a "green" town if you deny most LTC but those you do issue are unrestricted.

OP, don't confuse the law "preponderance of evidence" and "risk to public safety" with the reality of hearsay and "broad discretion". You've got a good argument, but have your lawyer by your side.

andrew1220 and M1911 like this.
  15. AHM

AHM NES Member

(Wasn't digging for specifics; sorry to put you through that).

I wish I knew of prior epic NES threads about
    one of these FID hearings, to point you at them.
    Such thread(s) may exist, but I'm not sure how to look
    with a good chance of finding 'em.
    And I never tripped over any accidentally in the past.

Your lawyer is the one to direct your case, but it hopefully
    doesn't hurt to study good materials on the subject.
    Forewarned is forearmed.

XavierHaverhill likes this.
  16. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

Seeme to me you said you moved because of Mass gun laws. AND suggested another gun owner do that some Want me to requote it?

I’ll rephrase it: you support 2A except when your rights are under attack. Then it was more convenient for you to run away. And suggest others turn tail when we need them most. But have cobbled together some story in your head otherwise. Makes me sick.

People move all the time for all sorts of reasons and more power to them - that’s not what you said.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    KVX likes this.
  17. wilson911

wilson911

Stay there and keep bending over. That makes me sick. You do what makes you feel righteous. Life is too short to be in an endless battle you cant win. I'm much happier living freer than staying there and thinking myself a martyr like you seem to have convinced yourself you are.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Nick Fury, AHM, slap shot and 3 others like this.
  18. XavierHaverhill

XavierHaverhill

We like Haverhill, despite this hiccup. Our neighbors are great, our son has a great daycare 1min from our house. The schools are getting better and he will be in a diverse student body when he heads off the kindergarten. Plaistow is nice, but the same housing costs as Haverhill, less going on, and schools I haven't heard great things about. My wife works near Boston and I work near Haverhill, moving wouldn't make financial sense. Maybe in retirement we will move, but right now we are happy.

19. Jason Flare

Jason Flare NES Member

I’m OK with people who want to leave and I’m OK with people who want to stay and fight.

I’m personally not inclined to put in the effort to change people’s behavior.

namedpipes likes this.
  20. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

I totally agree with you. Having lived in MA all but three years of my life and being a 2A activist for the past 43 yrs, meeting/talking with/testifying at hearings all these politicians have a fixation on "doing something" to help stay employed by passing more and more gun control laws with an ultimate goal of an outright ban, I've come to the conclusion that we are just Don Quixote and pissing into the wind.

However my decision to move to NH was actually based on MA insatiable appetite for more and more tax money to fund the corruption and bad decisions up to and after my death! NH having no income and estate taxes became my primary reason for the escape from the gulag.

The best we can ever do in MA is to stop SOME of the proposed gun ban legislation. Neither the legislature or the courts in this state will ever give us the fair shake on the 2A issues, it just isn't going to happen. I will continue to fight for our rights, but from outside the prison walls.

Woodstock, AHM, JGreen and 3 others like this.
  21. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

No disagreement about politicians wanting more tax money.

But NH taxes dividends. Opening an office in NH was a huge mistake for me. When we sold the company, NH tax was more than double CT + MA combined.

RE tax is absurd but we are used to it.

22. el duderino

el duderino NES Member

Does his family own the deli? Think I remember him.

23. XavierHaverhill

XavierHaverhill

I don't think so. I have found out their hang-up is related to a juvenile issue. Somehow this wasn't an problem six years ago but the the new officer doesn't care about what Fred did.

24. rudiewhitebwoy

rudiewhitebwoy NES Life Member NES Member

I don't believe so.

25. AHM

AHM NES Member

The Founding Fathers didn't give us a Republican Union of States,
    with varying independent laws
    so that we could be bound to a single state for our entire lives;
    like medieval serfs bound to a landlord.

wilson911 likes this.
  26. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Chained together with 999 of my associates at the
    Six years ago, the chief didn’t have any ability to deny your FID. Now he does.

Sauer Grapes and M1911 like this.
  27. XavierHaverhill

XavierHaverhill

So, in the interest of transparency, turns out I was found delinquent on a juvenile case when I was arrested at 18. The probation officer in juvenile court never told me this when he said my probation with him was done. Never went in front of a judge, never had any "punishment."

However, the law states that my right to an FID card is restored in Massachusetts five years after my juvenile delinquent case ends. This is likely why I was issued the FID six years ago. However, the law has changed and allows the police to try and deny me. I'll let you know what happens after my hearing next week

Jason Flare, Jacks07 and cockpitbob like this.
  28. namedpipes

namedpipes

You're going to lose.

They do this all day, every day. You do this once, maybe twice in your life.

Either hire someone to represent you or say goodbye to your little friends.

29. allen-1

allen-1 NES Member

namedpipes is right. I've been through both the criminal and civil courts. The judges and attorneys spend their working lives there. You're a visitor. You don't know what you're doing, and you have everything to lose. HIRE A PROFESSIONAL TO REPRESENT YOU.

namedpipes, M1911 and Len-2A Training like this.
  30. XavierHaverhill

XavierHaverhill

I may lose, but I'm okay with that. A lot of shit has happened to me since june and I'm happy to have sold my shotgun and to be done with the stress. They only reason I want to go is because the police are violating the law by not turning the gun over to the buyer..it's been nearly 60 days and the law demands 10 to turn it over