• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Denied FID renewal

Fred corthell retired last fall

Reading this post concerns me as a haverhill resident as I've never before heard of any renewal denials coming out of haverhill and fred kept haverhill as green as green could be for many many years. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. The mayor of haverhill has stayed out of the fire arms licensing game since 2004 when he was first elected......but I know from his social media presence hes a Democrat and pro gun control. I hope the new licensing officer isn't a lackey for a new agenda.

At least someone will be running against the mayor this time around instead of running uncontested.

I want to thank you all for your help. The law states that I will be notified of a hearing within 90 days. At that hearing the police will need to present a "preponderance of evidence" showing that I am a risk should I be allowed to own a firearm and I will need to do the same to show I am not a risk and therefore suitable. I won't elaborate on my evidence versus their evidence. Thanks again!
Dude, “preponderance of evidence”????? Something smells funny with this whole thread and what you’ve been saying, there’s no way one dismissal that many years ago you would be denied a renewal... not trying to pick a fight with you But I think there is more than this then what you are telling us. I think you’re a damn fool to go into hearing without a lawyer...anyways best of luck to you ( I mean it sincerely) I think it’s time to finally put this thread to bed.

Dude, “preponderance of evidence”????? Something smells funny with this whole thread and what you’ve been saying, there’s no way one dismissal that many years ago you would be denied a renewal... not trying to pick a fight with you But I think there is more than this then what you are telling us. I think you’re a damn fool to go into hearing without a lawyer...anyways best of luck to you ( I mean it sincerely) I think it’s time to finally put this thread to bed.

Said it early on...I absolutly agree.

Did I say one dismissal? No. Its two cases with a ton of individual charges. The vandalism charge out of Haverhill certainly doesn't help. The point being that I screwed up BAD in 2005/6 and I had all the charged continued and dismissed. Absolutely nothing has happened since, I've been a model citizen.

The law says preponderance of evidence, basically more evidence against me getting my fid than for in order to find me unsuitable.

I was joking, Jason. I already reach out and have spoken with a lawyer briefly

I have stayed out the thread since this post that he actually spoke with a 2A attorney. It seems he has legal advice. Wish you well with that thick folder of dropped or continued charges.

Matt

Did I say one dismissal? No. Its two cases with a ton of individual charges. The vandalism charge out of Haverhill certainly doesn't help. The point being that I screwed up BAD in 2005/6 and I had all the charged continued and dismissed. Absolutely nothing has happened since, I've been a model citizen.

The law says preponderance of evidence, basically more evidence against me getting my fid than for in order to find me unsuitable.

Don’t count on the judge to follow the law or for him to interpret the law the way you do. This won’t be a level playing field and the judge will be predisposed to find for the police department. Your attorney's job is to keep them honest.

Don’t count on the judge to follow the law or for him to interpret the law the way you do. This won’t be a level playing field and the judge will be predisposed to find for the police department. Your attorney's job is to keep them honest.
Thank you. I'll be requesting a copy of the petition and "evidence" tomorrow. I'll also be picking up the receipt/report from surrendering my firearm and ammunition.

I had a case continued and dismissed (1999.) Every time I renew my LTC , the Police keep bringing it up, and I keep saying" It's not a disqualifier!" and then I get my license renewed. It cause a delay everytime.
They ARE looking to deny everybody.
It's no secret.
Fight for your rights!!!!!!!!

Detective Benedetti is the new lo but Captain Doherty makes the final call. I don't understand a system where two people are involved and the one making the decision never meets you.

Just a thought, was there an officer Benedetti or Doherty involved in your original arrest? They tend to have long memories. I had a little disagreement with officer x once, now he's Captain x, and probably still violating people's rights.

The more I think about this...... new licensing officer or not.......the chief in haverhill has always kept haverhill a Green town. Can't see why a renewal with no new "issues" since the first license was approved would be a denial now.

The red/green ratings often referred to on NES only deal with the issuing of restricted/unrestricted LTCs, nothing about denials v. approvals. Very easy to be a "green" town if you deny most LTC but those you do issue are unrestricted.

OP, don't confuse the law "preponderance of evidence" and "risk to public safety" with the reality of hearsay and "broad discretion". You've got a good argument, but have your lawyer by your side.

Everything in my record is known to the police.
(Wasn't digging for specifics; sorry to put you through that).

I wish I knew of prior epic NES threads about
one of these FID hearings, to point you at them.
Such thread(s) may exist, but I'm not sure how to look
with a good chance of finding 'em.
And I never tripped over any accidentally in the past.

Your lawyer is the one to direct your case, but it hopefully
doesn't hurt to study good materials on the subject.
Forewarned is forearmed.

I disagree with you completely. I strongly support 2a. The problem with doing it from MA (born, raised, lived for 30+ years) is the rigged politics make your efforts almost useless. I'm not a masochist. Suggesting I dont support 2a with my beliefs, actions and dollars is not accurate.
Seeme to me you said you moved because of Mass gun laws. AND suggested another gun owner do that some Want me to requote it?

I’ll rephrase it: you support 2A except when your rights are under attack. Then it was more convenient for you to run away. And suggest others turn tail when we need them most. But have cobbled together some story in your head otherwise. Makes me sick.

People move all the time for all sorts of reasons and more power to them - that’s not what you said.

Last edited:
Seeme to me you said you moved because of Mass gun laws. AND suggested another gun owner do that some Want me to requote it?

I’ll rephrase it: you support 2A except when your rights are under attack. Then it was more convenient for you to run away. And suggest others turn tail when we need them most. But have cobbled together some story in your head otherwise. Makes me sick.

People move all the time for all sorts of reasons and more power to them - that’s not what you said.

Stay there and keep bending over. That makes me sick. You do what makes you feel righteous. Life is too short to be in an endless battle you cant win. I'm much happier living freer than staying there and thinking myself a martyr like you seem to have convinced yourself you are.

Last edited:
We like Haverhill, despite this hiccup. Our neighbors are great, our son has a great daycare 1min from our house. The schools are getting better and he will be in a diverse student body when he heads off the kindergarten. Plaistow is nice, but the same housing costs as Haverhill, less going on, and schools I haven't heard great things about. My wife works near Boston and I work near Haverhill, moving wouldn't make financial sense. Maybe in retirement we will move, but right now we are happy.

I’m OK with people who want to leave and I’m OK with people who want to stay and fight.

I’m personally not inclined to put in the effort to change people’s behavior.

Stay there and bending over. That makes me sick. You do what makes you feel righteous. Life is too short to be in an endless battle you cant win. I'm much happier living freer than staying there and thinking myself a martyr like you seem to have convinced yourself you are.
I totally agree with you. Having lived in MA all but three years of my life and being a 2A activist for the past 43 yrs, meeting/talking with/testifying at hearings all these politicians have a fixation on "doing something" to help stay employed by passing more and more gun control laws with an ultimate goal of an outright ban, I've come to the conclusion that we are just Don Quixote and pissing into the wind.

However my decision to move to NH was actually based on MA insatiable appetite for more and more tax money to fund the corruption and bad decisions up to and after my death! NH having no income and estate taxes became my primary reason for the escape from the gulag.

The best we can ever do in MA is to stop SOME of the proposed gun ban legislation. Neither the legislature or the courts in this state will ever give us the fair shake on the 2A issues, it just isn't going to happen. I will continue to fight for our rights, but from outside the prison walls.

//However my decision to move to NH was actually based on MA insatiable appetite for more and more tax money to fund the corruption and bad decisions up to and after my death! NH having no income and estate taxes became my primary reason for the escape from the gulag/:
No disagreement about politicians wanting more tax money.

But NH taxes dividends. Opening an office in NH was a huge mistake for me. When we sold the company, NH tax was more than double CT + MA combined.

RE tax is absurd but we are used to it.

I don't think so. I have found out their hang-up is related to a juvenile issue. Somehow this wasn't an problem six years ago but the the new officer doesn't care about what Fred did.

Life is too short to be in an endless battle you cant win. I'm much happier living freer than staying there ...
The Founding Fathers didn't give us a Republican Union of States,
with varying independent laws
so that we could be bound to a single state for our entire lives;
like medieval serfs bound to a landlord.

I don't think so. I have found out their hang-up is related to a juvenile issue. Somehow this wasn't an problem six years ago but the the new officer doesn't care about what Fred did.
Six years ago, the chief didn’t have any ability to deny your FID. Now he does.

So, in the interest of transparency, turns out I was found delinquent on a juvenile case when I was arrested at 18. The probation officer in juvenile court never told me this when he said my probation with him was done. Never went in front of a judge, never had any "punishment."

However, the law states that my right to an FID card is restored in Massachusetts five years after my juvenile delinquent case ends. This is likely why I was issued the FID six years ago. However, the law has changed and allows the police to try and deny me. I'll let you know what happens after my hearing next week

Thanks. I will try to retain a lawyer for the appeal. For the initial hearing I will be there myself. I will be studying the laws and putting my public speaking classes to the test. I am fortunate to be cool under pressure and fairly intelligent

You're going to lose.

They do this all day, every day. You do this once, maybe twice in your life.

Either hire someone to represent you or say goodbye to your little friends.

You're going to lose.

They do this all day, every day. You do this once, maybe twice in your life.

Either hire someone to represent you or say goodbye to your little friends.

namedpipes is right. I've been through both the criminal and civil courts. The judges and attorneys spend their working lives there. You're a visitor. You don't know what you're doing, and you have everything to lose. HIRE A PROFESSIONAL TO REPRESENT YOU.

I may lose, but I'm okay with that. A lot of shit has happened to me since june and I'm happy to have sold my shotgun and to be done with the stress. They only reason I want to go is because the police are violating the law by not turning the gun over to the buyer..it's been nearly 60 days and the law demands 10 to turn it over

Back
Top Bottom