• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Denial or downgrade question

Hi,
I am up for renewal in Watertown MA (Black labeled). I have had a restricted license (class A target only) since 92 with 2 renewals in watertown.
I do weekly bullseye matches, as well as practice at the club a couple of times a week, so I am frequently to constantly transporting my firearms and mostly at night.

I would like to ask for an upgrade to ALP, but I do not want to be rejected outright for target as well.

Will the Chief still issue me a class A target like he has done before, if he denies me the ALP?
If he won't, I won't risk asking for the APL, just the target.
I just want ALP to keep myself protected (physically and legally) while transporting my expensive guns at night in some "not so safe" areas.

Thanks,
Im glad I found this site.

I'll save you the trouble. From what I heard Watertown simply doesn't issue ALP licences (though they may upgrade you since you're not a first-time issue)

I wanted to do the same when I moved from Medford to Belmont (Medford wouldn't even take an ALP app into consideration). I went and talked to the firearms officer in Belmont, and he simply told me "No first-time Issue ALPs will be issued in Belmont" and they probably won't issue ALPs on renewal either.

Somebody else may know better than I, but I don't think they'll deny you the whole deal just for Applying for ALP. I think you'll just get back a restricted Class A instead (unless they just want to be a**h***s...in wich case they would probably have downgraded you ANYWAY)

Don't quote me on that....just my 2c. And good luck. But I would DEFINETLY talk to a officer, and with luck he'll be as nice and as frank as the Officer in Belmont. But ask, and see where you stand before you do anything.

-Weer'd Beard

Boomerang, first, welcome to the board!

Second, you might be better off asking a firearms attorney for some help with your application. try going to www.massgunlaw.com; the attorneys there specialize in gun law in this benighted state. At least two of them also hang out on this board; Jesse Cohen and Darius Arbabi.

Good luck!

I'll save you the trouble. From what I heard Watertown simply doesn't issue ALP licences
I know one person from Watertown who does have an ALP license. He's an attorney and he believes that the only reason he got it is because he is an attorney. YMMV.

Thanks guys,
I appreciate the helpful info.
the last time I was up for renewal I spoke with a lawyer named Bill Cloran in Newton who writes a handbook on massachusetts firearm laws.
He did not charge me for any initial consultation and since his book was not yet printed for the year, he said he would send it to me when he got it and just asked that I send a check when I recieved it, which was very good of him.
His suggestion at the time was to just go for the Target restriction and when I came up for renewal, if I wanted to ask for ALP he would help. This was probably because I was down to the wire on time to renew.

Does anyone have a general idea on the costs of hiring a firearms Attorney?
I want to make sure I do the right thing when renewing.

I will probably call Mr. Cloran, only because I have spoken with him previously, but if there are any better reasons why I should call someone on this board, I will certainly act on that advice.
Thanks again.

My recommendation would be Atty Jesse Cohen. Jesse has been in FL due to some serious family matters, but he'll be back up and running full steam in MA by the end of January.

I have met, talked with, and corresponded with Atty Bill Cloran before. He's a nice guy, but Jesse would absolutely be my first choice in this sort of situation.

I have also met with Mr. Cloran. He does seem like a nice guy. He would not be my first choice as a firearms attorney in a licensing matter.

Back
Top Bottom