Dems push backdoor gun control bill that could destroy the firearm industry

mikeyp

NES Member

Democrats in Congress introduced legislation Tuesday that seeks to repeal legal protections for firearm manufacturers, opening the door for shooting victims to sue companies that create firearms.

What are the details?
The bill, titled, "The Equal Access to Justice for Victims of Gun Violence Act," seeks to repeal the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, a 2005 law that immunizes the firearm industry from civil liability in both state and federal courts.

"[The bill] will allow civil cases to go forward against irresponsible actors in state and federal courts, just as they would if they involved any other product. Letting courts hear these cases would provide victims of gun violence their day in court," reads a press release about the bill.

The bill is sponsored by Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) in the House and Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) in the Senate. The lawmakers claim "numerous cases" have been dismissed on the basis of the PLCAA "even when the gun makers and sellers acted in a fashion that would qualify as negligent if it involved any other product."

Oh noes. Next they'll pass a law that everyone has to own a water-buffalo. (Yours is fast but mine is slow. . . .).

Considering they don't have the votes to do any of this, it's posturing for the base.

Go for it. This will bankrupt every company in the country, then.

Drunk driver kill your family? GREAT! You can sue the a) bar b) distiller/brewer/vintner, and c) the automobile company too.
Sue Louisville slugger when someone whacks someone with a bat
As mentioned, Estwing, Craftsman, Stanley or DeWalt for hammer killings
Sue Leatherman or Henckels when someone is stabbed.
Pool or bathtub companies for drownings. Or maybe it's the municipal water company? Hope .gov has good insurance.
Isotoner for stranglings while wearing gloves
This'll be awesome.

Idiots.

You know what, they can have this when and only when I can sue the government for stealing my money with their so-called "taxes" and stand a good chance of getting recompense.

So f*** right the hell off until then.

Blumenthal of Connecticut.

Here's my surprised face.

He's a Dem from Con. We need to spread this around Capitol Hill

lt.41ed0c59258d77311bd3b6b477a5f7d2294502f9205960e142626b9a4e41edd5.png

Drunk driver kill your family? GREAT! You can sue the a) bar b) distiller/brewer/vintner, and c) the automobile company too.
Pool or bathtub companies for drownings. Or maybe it's the municipal water company? Hope .gov has good insurance.
This'll be awesome.

Idiots.
Sue whatever shoe company the killer was wearing. His clothing as well. Sky mask? Dark pants and t-shirt? ... all clearly made to conceal people therefore helping in the murder.

This is when I wish I was a lawyer. When sh*t like this happens, I would sue for fun, it would be my hobby. The goal would be to show the hypocrisy, not make money.

Isn't it mind boggling that we have lawmakers in Congress that do not understand law? It literally has become a circus. I am embarrassed for all of us.
They understand it. This has nothing to do with understanding or not understanding the consequences. This has everything to do with playing with peoppes feelings for personal gain.

Further proof politicians dont give a f*** about this country or its citizens.

Everything they do is for personal gain.

This'll be awesome.

Idiots.
Actually seems like a good time to be in ins or a lawyer

They understand it. This has nothing to do with understanding or not understanding the consequences. This has everything to do with playing with peoppes feelings for personal gain.

Further proof politicians dont give a f*** about this country or its citizens.

Everything they do is for personal gain.

You give them, at least some of them, way too much credit. Not that stupidity is an excuse. One example is AOC. On any topic except bar tending.
Then there's Hank Johnson.

Yes that really happened. He was reelected at least twice after that display of absolutely incomprehensible stupidity.

"Everything they do is for personal gain."- That couldn't possible be any more on the nose.

You give them, at least some of them, way too much credit. Not that stupidity is an excuse. One example is AOC. On any topic except bar tending.
Then there's Hank Johnson.

Next thing you know some moron will claim the noise from windmills causes cancer!

This'll be awesome.

Idiots.
This ONLY applies to firearms mfgs:

Sec. 1 – Short Title

 Equal Access to Justice for Victims of Gun Violence Act

Sec. 2 – Repeal of the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act

 Repeals PLCAA’s prohibition on bringing qualified civil liability actions against gun makers, distributors, sellers, or trade associations in state or federal court.

 The version of PLCAA that was signed into law included two additional sections added through amendment which are not repealed by this bill – Section 5 pertaining to gun storage and safety devices, and Section 6 pertaining to penalties for use of armor piercing ammunition.

Sec. 3 –Discovery and Admissibility of Relevant Gun Trace Data

 Legislative riders on the Commerce-Justice-Science Appropriations Bill prohibit the discovery and introduction into evidence of ATF gun trace data as part of civil proceedings in state and federal courts. Section 4 repeals this provision so that plaintiffs can subpoena and introduce gun trace data relevant to their case, for example to establish a pattern of negligent behavior on the part of a firearm maker or dealer.

This ONLY applies to firearms mfgs:

Sec. 1 – Short Title

 Equal Access to Justice for Victims of Gun Violence Act

Sec. 2 – Repeal of the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act

 Repeals PLCAA’s prohibition on bringing qualified civil liability actions against gun makers, distributors, sellers, or trade associations in state or federal court.

 The version of PLCAA that was signed into law included two additional sections added through amendment which are not repealed by this bill – Section 5 pertaining to gun storage and safety devices, and Section 6 pertaining to penalties for use of armor piercing ammunition.

Sec. 3 –Discovery and Admissibility of Relevant Gun Trace Data

 Legislative riders on the Commerce-Justice-Science Appropriations Bill prohibit the discovery and introduction into evidence of ATF gun trace data as part of civil proceedings in state and federal courts. Section 4 repeals this provision so that plaintiffs can subpoena and introduce gun trace data relevant to their case, for example to establish a pattern of negligent behavior on the part of a firearm maker or dealer.

Oh, I know. But it sets an AMAZING precedent. If they can charge gun companies when someone uses guns ILLEGALLY, then all bets are off, everywhere.

I guess the devil is in the details!

Democrats in Congress introduced legislation Tuesday that seeks to repeal legal protections for firearm manufacturers, opening the door for shooting victims to sue companies that create firearms.

What are the details?
The bill, titled, "The Equal Access to Justice for Victims of Gun Violence Act," seeks to repeal the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, a 2005 law that immunizes the firearm industry from civil liability in both state and federal courts.

"[The bill] will allow civil cases to go forward against irresponsible actors in state and federal courts, just as they would if they involved any other product. Letting courts hear these cases would provide victims of gun violence their day in court," reads a press release about the bill.

The bill is sponsored by Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) in the House and Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) in the Senate. The lawmakers claim "numerous cases" have been dismissed on the basis of the PLCAA "even when the gun makers and sellers acted in a fashion that would qualify as negligent if it involved any other product."
OK, so who is the "irresponsible actor"? For example, a Remington 870 gets stolen from the locked rack in a police cruiser and used to shoot up a local fast-food joint. Is the "irresponsible actor" Remington, for manufacturing the shotgun? The cop who parked his patrol car in the restaurant parking lot to grab a burger for lunch? Or is it the LE agency who equipped that cruiser with a shotgun?

Last edited:
The usual scumbags
Schiff makes me want to violate every rule in the Geneva convention when I see his disturbing looking face.
I can picture him getting dragged out of some spider hole after they start the unavoidable war, begging for his life.

Back
Top Bottom