• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Democratic US Reps introduce bill to ban CNCs designed to finish lowers

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
‘‘Stop Home Manufacture of Ghost Guns Act of 2020’’
https://raskin.house.gov/sites/raskin.house.gov/files/Stop Home Manufacture of Ghost Guns Act.pdf

Giffords Applauds New Legislation to Ban Machines Used to Build Dangerous, Untraceable, Unlicensed Weapons
July 2, 2020 — Giffords, the gun violence prevention group started by former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, welcomes the new bill introduced by Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-MD) aimed at stopping the spread of machines used to build ghost guns. The Stop Home Manufacture of Ghost Guns Act bans milling machines specifically designed to convert unfinished frames and receivers into fully-functional, untraceable weapons. This legislation complements the Untraceable Firearms Act, sponsored by Rep. David Cicilline (D-RI), which prohibits the manufacture and sale of firearms that do not have serial numbers.

Ghost guns, also known as DIY guns, can be built at home without a manufacturer’s license. Readily available online, ghost gun kits include an unfinished version of the gun component that holds the firing mechanism, called a receiver or a frame, which can be easily completed using simple tools available at any hardware store. Programmable milling machines that are specially designed to turn 80% frames and receivers into functioning firearms make the process even easier, allowing for mass completion of operational weapons. The Stop Home Manufacture of Ghost Guns Act would prohibit anyone who is not a licensed firearms manufacturer from having such a machine.
In some areas of California, as many as 40% of crime guns recovered by ATF agents are ghost guns. Criminals have also used ghost guns with devastating consequences recently, including high-profile tragedies in California and Washington and the murder of two California law enforcement officers by a member of the “Boogaloo” movement. Giffords recently launched an initiative with several resources exploring the dangers of ghost guns.
RASKIN, CICILLINE INTRODUCE LEGISLATION TO STOP HOME MANUFACTURE OF “GHOST GUNS”
The Raskin-Cicilline legislation will prohibit the sale of metal milling machines that turn private individuals into de facto gun manufacturers and dealers in their own homes. These types of machines are readily available and reasonably inexpensive for someone seeking to finish and sell black market weapons. Just as there is no background check or oversight over the sale of ghost gun kits, there is also an absence of regulation of these milling machines.

This bill complements and backs up the Untraceable Firearms Act, H.R. 3553, which prohibits ghost guns by also prohibiting private individuals from owning machines that have a primary purpose of finishing firearm receivers and frames to create a functioning gun at home.

“The terrible threat of ghost guns to public safety is growing on a daily basis,” said Rep. Raskin. “It is time for Congress to ban ghost guns and the flourishing traffic in the technology which manufactures them. Law enforcement is finding that ghost guns compose a growing share of weapons used in deadly crime. Let’s act now as an institution to remove this increasing and lethal threat to our people.”

The thing they fear you possessing:
Ghost Gunner

So... will every machine shop in the country need an ffl just because they have the technical ability to manufacture a firearm?
I have a small shop in my garage, and this is definitely a FU moment for me

The only ban that would be effective is to ban every politician and government agent that violates their oath of office to uphold the Constitution.

CNC (or manual) millers are designed to "Machine" things. The CNC ones are programed for the job at hand. Do they want to put every machine shop in the country out of business by banning machine tools? Not a chance. Jack
Exactly. Companies that manufactured harvesting equipment, railroad signals and switches, sewing machines and office equipment also produced plenty of small arms during WWII.

CNC (or manual) millers are designed to "Machine" things. The CNC ones are programed for the job at hand. Do they want to put every machine shop in the country out of business by banning machine tools? Not a chance. Jack
Can’t take away my machine or skills. We better work on banning MSC Supply next.

The entire world , everything that has been manufactured by man, is and has been created with CNC, in one manner or another. So they are trying to ban the tools to make everything. This will cause unheard of inflation. An end mill cut tool will be the ammunition, they need to ban that too. So down the line, they will try to ban the slotted screwdriver.....where does it end?

I don't think there exists any "milling machines specifically designed to convert unfinished frames and receivers into fully-functional"

They were specifically designed to be flexible.
True, but this would target the place(s) that sell a CNC just big enough to do a lower that comes with a single gcode file - that for a lower.

The entire world , everything that has been manufactured by man, is and has been created with CNC, in one manner or another. So they are trying to ban the tools to make everything. This will cause unheard of inflation. An end mill cut tool will be the ammunition, they need to ban that too. So down the line, they will try to ban the slotted screwdriver.....where does it end?
Liberal stupidity does NOT end. Just the opposite, it gets worse every day.

You can never B̶a̶n̶ take away knowledge. F them. F this bill. Just this am, I sat a person down and taught them how to assemble a lower. Share the info you have.

Good on you brother. Share the knowledge. I teach friends and family the "Basic Pistol" course for free. I've done 14 so far and just signed up four more yesterday. Lot's of people are starting to see the light. Now is the time. Take them to the range and educate them.

I very much doubt this has any real legal standing. Passing this effectively shuts down a new booming market in "affordable" desktop CNC's doing what is essentially at the end of the daya glorified G-code program to interpolate a box profile.

Psssst, any CNC can produce exact copies of anything.
That's what they are made for. Let's stop all manufacture of machined parts as it can be used for nefarious reasons.
I mean seriously, this just goes to show how fffing out of touch these lifetime politicians are with the public sector.
We need to legislate stupidity from out of our elected offices.

Back
Top Bottom