Democratic candidates for Governor

I agree, Mihos will only take votes from Healy and we'll be stuck with whatever Dem gets the rest of the votes, That's how we got Clinton in '92

"Devil" Patrick's site- did any of you read to the bottom of the page where he said that in order to support gun control he'd limit private sales to 1 per month? What an asshat! How can limiting LEGAL sales help with ILLEGAL trafficking??!?! God I HATE people who think like this!

"Devil" Patrick's site- did any of you read to the bottom of the page where he said that in order to support gun control he'd limit private sales to 1 per month? What an asshat! How can limiting LEGAL sales help with ILLEGAL trafficking??!?! God I HATE people who think like this!

That was in the post with the article I linked to 13 posts up (14 up from this one). ;-)

Here's one ray of sunshine in todays news...

partly anyhow (at least Reilly is going down fast, but unfortuantly Healey has some catching up to do).

Polls show Dem rivals lead Reilly: Gabrieli, Patrick top AG

By Dave Wedge
Boston Herald Chief Enterprise Reporter
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - Updated: 02:31 AM EST

Chris Gabrieli’s pricey TV ads are apparently paying off as the millionaire philanthropist moves up in the gubernatorial polls while Attorney General Tom Reilly continues to lag in the tightening Democratic primary race.
Gabrieli is in command of the race in a new Suffolk University/WHDH-TV (Ch. 7) poll, topping the field with 32 percent support. Former U.S. attorney Deval Patrick was second with 24 percent, followed by Reilly with 20 percent. Some 24 percent of the 600 registered voters polled were undecided.

A separate poll done by CBS4 Boston shows Patrick leading at 34 percent and Gabrieli and Reilly - once considered the early favorite in the race - tied with 30 percent.
Reilly spokesman David Guarino dismissed the Suffolk poll, saying, “We’re exactly where we want to be.”
“With four weeks to go this race is a dead heat,” Guarino said.
The Reilly campaign said internal polls have been closer to the CBS4 numbers, which show a virtual three-way tie.
The Suffolk poll also shows Gabrieli crushing Republican Lt. Gov. Kerry Healey by 21 percentage points in a November general election. The poll indicates Reilly also would beat Healey by 9 points, while Patrick would beat the lieutenant governor by 8 percent. Independent candidate Christy Mihos garnered less than 10 percent support.
Despite the poll numbers, Healey spokesman Tim O’Brien said: “No matter who emerges out of the Democratic primary, they all want to support more spending and oppose tax cuts, and that’s why we’re going to win.”
Republican strategist Charles Manning said the latest poll numbers show that “Reilly might not be in the mix anymore.”

as of this morning, Gabrielli had the lead overall... patrick was a close second and Reilly was trailing by more then 10%.

this is from several polls that I have seen this morning...

some have Gabrielli with a greater lead and others show him with a slim lead... but still in the lead.

All show Reilly well behind the pack.

Not that any of this matters until the night of the primarys

Somebody should find out when the next discussion/debate takes place. Usually, there is a chance to submit questions.

The subject should be: Human Rights / Civil Rights

Then hit them with the big one; the question of what they think of MA gun owners civil and human right to self defense and how they can improve these rights for residents of MA.

Somebody should find out when the next discussion/debate takes place. Usually, there is a chance to submit questions.

Then hit them with the big one; the question of what they think of MA gun owners civil and human right to self defense and how they can improve these rights for residents of MA.

somehow I see that being sidestep by all canidates, or some reference on "gun violence" and how we need to be ruled like pesants

Which is why I labeled it as a "rights" issue. These guys will be all over it until they figure out WHICH rights in this case, but then it is too late. Again, you feed it to them as what they will do to IMPROVE RIGHTS, not quell violence.

Gabrielli is allegedly appearing in the South Shore area soon, but I erased the message and can't find his campaign website.

I've had numerous calls from 617-000-0000 which turns out to be his campaign computer dialer. Yesterday's included a message to join him at some place in the South Shore (I think tomorrow night) to meet and ask him questions. I was busy yesterday when the call was transfered to my cell phone and annoyed by it so I deleted it.

Coyote33: if you think you can set up one these guys with a "gotcha" question, you are dreaming. First, they are good at sidestepping. Second, the vast majority of the audience will be anti-gun. This is Massachusetts, not Texas.

Yeah, I know. I'm thinking it might be easier when they are on the road, doing small town Q&A sort of thing where they read questions off index cards. It's worked before.

Gabrielli is allegedly appearing in the South Shore area soon, but I erased the message and can't find his campaign website.

I've had numerous calls from 617-000-0000 which turns out to be his campaign computer dialer. Yesterday's included a message to join him at some place in the South Shore (I think tomorrow night) to meet and ask him questions. I was busy yesterday when the call was transfered to my cell phone and annoyed by it so I deleted it.

August 14 Marina Bay. You missed it I guess.

August 14 Marina Bay. You missed it I guess.

RGS,

Nope, the phone call was yesterday afternoon and I think it was 8/24 at a Dedham hotel. Wasn't trying to pay a lot of attention to it, but that's what I gleaned. To date, I've received no less than 4 calls from his "automaton" dialing system and they are annoying . . . even more so since 2 were transfered to my cell phone, eating my minutes (even though I never use anywhere near my allotment any month).

I'm thinking it might be easier when they are on the road, doing small town Q&A sort of thing where they read questions off index cards. It's worked before.
What do you think you are going to prove? That they are anti-gun? They are and they are proud of it. And the people in the audience will be glad that they are anti-gun.

Okay, thanks. So the worst of them is Reilly, followed closely by Patrick and Gabrielli eh?

I'm rooting for the Poodle!!! Go Healey!!! LOL

Gabrielli has a good sized lead on Patrick. Reilly's hopes fade further and further everyday... 30 days to go...

They'll likely just sidestep the whole thing and not answer your question.

They might just opine that they "agree with enforcing existing gun laws."
which is the default position that is usually trotted out by most politicos
these days.

Or they might start in on a bradyesque tone about the so called "right of
people to be free from gun violence" emo-crap rebuttal. Kind of doubt
that, but wouldn't surprise me if a moron like Jarett Barrios whipped that one
out pretty much on demand. Someone likely to be running for governor
is probably not quite that inflammatory. (Remember, all things are
relative..... even though he might be an anti, gabrieli is probably going
to be a softy in comparison to reilly ).

The problem in MA is even if you DO get the politician to take a pie in
the face on being a retard about the gun issue, they can do so without
feeling any political sting from it whatsoever. You can even catch them
telling something which is a LIE to people, and people simply won't
care... least not most of them. Most voters here are either
completely ignorant about the metric ton of gun laws, or they
simply don't care. This kind of antipathy is what allows the antis
to win... they know the block doesn't care, so they get away with
murder.

This is true in places like CA as well, where the pols can effectively stomp
on gun rights virtually unchallenged, because the "critical mass" of voters
is either anti gun or doesnt care.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't try to do it, though. The fact that
a question may actually get through the gauntlet of crap and be
addressed is good in and of itself, but we have to work on the voting
block itself, not just the politicians.

-Mike

Last edited:
They'll likely just sidestep the whole thing and not answer your question.

They might just opine that they "agree with enforcing existing gun laws."
which is the default position that is usually trotted out by most politicos
these days.

Or they might start in on a bradyesque tone about the so called "right of
people to be free from gun violence" emo-crap rebuttal. Kind of doubt
that, but wouldn't surprise me if a moron like Jarett Barrios whipped that one
out pretty much on demand. Someone likely to be running for governor
is probably not quite that inflammatory. (Remember, all things are
relative..... even though he might be an anti, gabrieli is probably going
to be a softy in comparison to reilly ).

-Mike

Or the more common response...

"I support the 2nd amendment and the right of private citizens to own firearms, however

(wait for it)...

A) "there is no reason for anyone besides police and the military to own "assault weapons". No one needs an AK-47 or UZI to hunt with."

B) "individuals should be liscensed and submit to a test, just like a drivers license."

C) "firearms should be registered just like automobiles."

There are others, but everyone is probably all too familiar with them by now.

What do you think you are going to prove? That they are anti-gun? ...

I guess the point was to prove that they are anti civil rights and anti human rights. Make them step on their own toes. You're probably right. We should all just bend over and take it.

... Most voters here are either
completely ignorant about the metric ton of gun laws, or they
simply don't care. This kind of antipathy is what allows the antis
to win... they know the block doesn't care, so they get away with
murder.

This is true in places like CA as well, where the pols can effectively stomp
on gun rights virtually unchallenged, because the "critical mass" of voters
is either anti gun or doesnt care.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't try to do it, though. The fact that
a question may actually get through the gauntlet of crap and be
addressed is good in and of itself, but we have to work on the voting
block itself, not just the politicians....

I guess the point is to even raise the issue in the first place to maybe open a few eyes. You have to start somewhere.

Last edited:
I guess the point was to prove that they are anti civil rights and anti human rights. Make them step on their own toes. You're probably right. We should all just bend over and take it.
Coyote33, you're not going to be able to prove that to them!

They don't think that the 2nd ammendment applies to individuals. They don't recognize the right to self defense. That is true, as well, of their audience. The audience is going to be left-wing democrats.
You're probably right. We should all just bend over and take it.
NOW JUST WAIT A COTTEN-PICKING MINUTE! This type of comment really, really, really gets me angry. If you want to disagree with what I wrote, then disagree with what I wrote. BUT STOP ACCUSING ME OF SAYING THINGS THAT I DID NOT SAY OR IN ANY WAY IMPLY.

I have not, in any way, suggested that we stop trying. There are forums where we can make progress and forums where it doesn't make sense. For 99% of us, trying to fence with a politician in such a public forum will just provide them the ability to make us look like fools.

...NOW JUST WAIT A COTTEN-PICKING MINUTE! This type of comment really, really, really gets me angry. If you want to disagree with what I wrote, then disagree with what I wrote. BUT STOP ACCUSING ME OF SAYING THINGS THAT I DID NOT SAY OR IN ANY WAY IMPLY.

I have not, in any way, suggested that we stop trying. There are forums where we can make progress and forums where it doesn't make sense. For 99% of us, trying to fence with a politician in such a public forum will just provide them the ability to make us look like fools.

Actually, I did think you were suggesting we stop trying. I see that all over the place on here. Sorry, but I've been under some heavy bombardment here.

My apology to you.

I emailed the Chris Gabrielli website with this Question:

"Massachusetts has some of the toughest (and nearly unconstitutional) firearms laws in the country; yet firearm related crimes in cities like Boston and Springfield are at all time highs. What are your feelings on gun control and what plans do you have to reduce crime in the cities mentioned?"

... And received this response:

"Thank you for your e-mail. My name is Katie Joyce and I am Chris’s policy director.

To answer your question, Chris recognizes and respects the Constitutional right of law-abiding citizens to bear arms. He believes Massachusetts has struck a fair balance between the rights of responsible gun owners and concern for public safety. As governor, Chris will work to ensure that these laws keep guns away from children and those who wish to do us harm while protecting the rights of legitimate gun owners.

In terms of reducing crime, Chris believes we need to be tough on crime from the enforcement side with more community policing and better sentencing, but also focus on giving our kids better options than a life filled with violence and crime. This is accomplished by providing a first class education to all students, funding high-quality after school programs, developing better workforce/skills training programs, and by growing good jobs that will provide for families. But to do this, we have to have the cooperation and participation of all levels of government, schools and community organizations. As governor, Chris will offer that coordination and commitment to our cities and towns that need it most.

Thank you again for your e-mail. Please let me know if you have additional questions or comments.

Sincerely,

Katie Joyce"

As suspected, nothing very earth shattering.

Back
Top Bottom