• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dem Sen. Murphy Calls for National Safe Storage Gun Law to Hold Parents ‘Accountable’

I am in favor of holding parent's accountable. Can we start with the following:
-Making kids show up for school
-Parents being responsible for their education and being accountable that they pass minimum proficiency tests and graduate High School or Trade School
-make parents accountable for crimes their kids commit by making them responsible for restitutions and any sentences
-Parents should be accountable for a child's entire cost of living. They should be required to pay for rent, food, clothes, insurance
-I recognize that some families may need help, but then the parents would be accountable to work sufficient service hours to offset government benefits we pay for.
-All accountability is split 50/50 between mother and father

Can we work on a bill that would require parents to be accountable for the above, before we pass another gun control bill that does nothing, and in no way addresses the problem. I don't have kids. But I am a stakeholder in all the programs listed above. I want some more accountability for my investments.

I am in favor of holding parent's accountable. Can we start with the following:
-Making kids show up for school
-Parents being responsible for their education and being accountable that they pass minimum proficiency tests and graduate High School or Trade School
-make parents accountable for crimes their kids commit by making them responsible for restitutions and any sentences
-Parents should be accountable for a child's entire cost of living. They should be required to pay for rent, food, clothes, insurance
-I recognize that some families may need help, but then the parents would be accountable to work sufficient service hours to offset government benefits we pay for.
-All accountability is split 50/50 between mother and father

Can we work on a bill that would require parents to be accountable for the above, before we pass another gun control bill that does nothing, and in no way addresses the problem. I don't have kids. But I am a stakeholder in all the programs listed above. I want some more accountability for my investments.
My friend if you had kids you would reconsider some of your requirements😂. Especially the restitution part if your kid does something stupid out of nowhere.👍🏻

Nope. If you are accountable for your kid being stupid, then there is a much higher chance they only do it once.
Yes, and what if what they do comes with a $10,000 fine or 5 years in prison or both? U down wit dat? Your kid is on the honor roll, plays sports and runs with the idiots one day and whammo. None of this is your fault while your at your daily grind and you have the proper home life and discipline. Kids will f***in amaze you on an hourly basis😂😂👍🏻

Yes, and what if what they do comes with a $10,000 fine or 5 years in prison or both? U down wit dat?

Yup. If he ain't 18, then I'm pinning it on you.

BTW....you know this is my proposed fake bill for parental accountability, right? You are arguing you, as a parent, want less accountability.

LOL. We are doomed. Be better parents.

The camel's nose is under the tent.
I'm not sure how. This is an existing requirement.

"The new rule implements the existing Gun Control Act requirement that federal firearms licensees that sell firearms to the general public must certify they have available secure gun storage or safety devices."

My FFL already has a number of gun locks he offers.

"Want this?"
"No."
And it goes back in the stack.

This is settled law. Heller already decided this when declaring D.C.'s "safe storage" laws unconstitutional.

Move on. Nothing to see here.
A different thing than Heller. Sure - we gun owners do not have to disassemble our guns, put on a trigger lock and lock them in a box, with ammunition stored locked separately.

ATF wants FFLs to have locks/boxes in inventory for every make and model of gun they sell. We don’t have to buy them, but it’s more harassment for FFLs and another step down that slippery slope.

Gone are the days when every pistol came in a lovable plastic box, unfortunately… But an FFL could have one monster 60 inch x 24 inch x 6 inch plastic box and a padlock for sale and cover them all - a little big for a Ruger LCP but meets the regs.

What are they missing?

Project ChildSafe is the largest, most comprehensive firearm safety education program in the U.S. It was developed by the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the trade association for the firearms industry, and is committed to promoting genuine firearm safety through the distribution of safety education messages and free firearm Safety Kits. The kits include a cable-style gun-locking device and a brochure (also available in Spanish) that discusses safe handling and secure storage guidelines to help deter access by unauthorized individuals.

Project ChildSafe is a real firearm safety solution that helps make communities safer. Since 1999, more than 15,000 law enforcement agencies have partnered with the program to distribute more than 37 million firearm safety kits to gun owners in all 50 states and five U.S. territories. Through vital partnerships with elected officials, community leaders, state agencies, businesses, the firearms industry and other stakeholders, Project ChildSafe has helped raise awareness about the safe and responsible ownership of firearms and the importance of storing firearms securely when not in use to help prevent accidents, theft and misuse.

Among Project ChildSafe’s many firearm safety resources are our infographic and fact sheet. Many other are available in the Safety Resources section.

This program has been around for quite a while. No "law" necessary.

A different thing than Heller. Sure - we gun owners do not have to disassemble our guns, put on a trigger lock and lock them in a box, with ammunition stored locked separately.

ATF wants FFLs to have locks/boxes in inventory for every make and model of gun they sell. We don’t have to buy them, but it’s more harassment for FFLs and another step down that slippery slope.

Gone are the days when every pistol came in a lovable plastic box, unfortunately… But an FFL could have one monster 60 inch x 24 inch x 6 inch plastic box and a padlock for sale and cover them all - a little big for a Ruger LCP but meets the regs.
Not quite right. Cable locks are just fine, and pretty universal.

The law they're enforcing is:
18 U.S. Code § 922 - Unlawful acts
(z) Secure Gun Storage or Safety Device.—
(1) In general.—
Except as provided under paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer to sell, deliver, or transfer any handgun to any person other than any person licensed under this chapter, unless the transferee is provided with a secure gun storage or safety device (as defined in section 921(a)(34)) for that handgun.

A "secure gun storage or safety device" is defined in 921(a)(34)

18 U.S. Code § 921 – Definitions
(34) The term “secure gun storage or safety device” means—
(A) a device that, when installed on a firearm, is designed to prevent the firearm from being operated without first deactivating the device;
(B) a device incorporated into the design of the firearm that is designed to prevent the operation of the firearm by anyone not having access to the device; or
(C) a safe, gun safe, gun case, lock box, or other device that is designed to be or can be used to store a firearm and that is designed to be unlocked only by means of a key, a combination, or other similar means.

Senator Chris Murphy (D-CT) Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union” called for a national safe storage law when reacting to James and Jennifer Crumbley being charged with involuntary manslaughter after their son 15-year-old Ethan Crumbley was charged for terrorism and murder in the school shooting at Oxford High School in Michigan.

Anchor Jake Tapper said, “The prosecutor in Michigan is doing something unusual. She’s charging the parents of the alleged gunman with involuntary manslaughter. Not only did they buy him the gun. They ignored his disturbing behavior, searching for ammunition on his cellphone, drawing violent pictures at school. The school alerted them, and they didn’t seem to care much. Should more prosecutors be holding parents responsible when they are not doing enough to keep their guns out of the hands of children who use them for violent ends?”

Murphy said, “If parents violate the law, they should be held accountable. I don’t know the details of the Michigan law. It looks as if these parents bought a gun for their child, who shouldn’t have ever possessed it. If parents are in violation of state law, they should be held accountable. I do think this should make us think hard about safe storage laws. In Connecticut, we have on the books a law that requires parents to safely store their guns. If those guns aren’t locked up with minors in the house, they can be held accountable without question. Michigan doesn’t have that law on the books. But we should pass that on a national basis. I think we would get a lot of gun owners to support us, to say, if you have minors in the house, if you have weapons, you have to keep those weapons locked up. If we made that change, not only would that prevent some of these horrific mass shooting incidents.”

He added, “A safe storage law may be the thing that could draw bipartisan compromise, that could get support of a lot of common-sense gun owners. It’s not about taking anybody’s weapons away. It’s just about saying if you are going to own the weapon, store it safely.”

What we really need is a law that holds Democrats accountable for their reckless actions.

Yup. If he ain't 18, then I'm pinning it on you.

BTW....you know this is my proposed fake bill for parental accountability, right? You are arguing you, as a parent, want less accountability.

LOL. We are doomed. Be better parents.
Of course man! I’m playing along with ya😂😂😂 don’t go all NES Boomer on me😂😂😂. I do agree that there are way more shitty parents nowadays in our society than there were in any other generation.

Back
Top Bottom