Delete

I purchased a rifle and shotgun 8 years ago while living in MA while I lived with my parents. Since then I’ve moved out of state and am no longer a resident and my fid card expired. However, the guns i owned are still at my parents place in a safe (my dad keeps them locked up in the basement and haven’t been used since i lived there). In a really weird spot, so should my dad just get a license? How can I dispose of these guns? I have no idea what to do
Lots of info needed here. Where do you live now? Is it within driving distance? Does your current state require a license to possess fire arms? If yes....do you have said license?

Need way more info to provide advice.

If your dad has access he should have an fid card anyways so that's simple. You could have a licensed person take them to keep for you or by taking to an ffl. With a bigger collection you could hire an ffl to pick up too. Lots of options.

OP's goin' to jail...

Post #3 nails it, provided you're legal to own in your new state. Just pick them up, load them in your trunk, drive safely, and shut up about it.

Lots of info needed here. Where do you live now? Is it within driving distance? Does your current state require a license to possess fire arms? If yes....do you have said license?

Need way more info to provide advice.
I live in Wisconsin now. I don’t want to drive them over there and no I don’t think you need a license for what they are

Sounds like there is more to the story.

About a dozen different solutions. Me, I would just pick them up the next time I was in Mass. Don't get pulled over on your way back to the US.
Not really, I got my fid when I was 19-20 life happened and I moved tf out of MA because…it’s MA lol. This state is nutty about its gun laws and that’s why I’m asking

I live in Wisconsin now. I don’t want to drive them over there and no I don’t think you need a license for what they are

Well, shoot. If you "don't want to drive them," everything gets more complicated.

I really would just drive them. The long way around, through PA. See, the problem is that nobody involved is legally able to drive them anywhere in MA to ship them through an FFL. If your dad wants to get a license, then cool, but if not? They're your responsibility. Don't make your dad haul them to an FFL to ship them to you, unlawfully, if he's not into being involved.

ETA: the "easiest" way to do this might be to just sell them to one of us, here on NES, take the money, and buy something out there in WI. One of us (with a license) would need to head over to your folks' house, take possession, accompany your dad to the nearest FFL (with the gats in the licensed buyer's car), and just do the transaction. I think that'd be legal, though a PITA and you should obviously expect to take a big hit on the sale because it's so much work for the buyer.

Last edited:
Well, shoot. If you "don't want to drive them," everything gets more complicated.

I really would just drive them. The long way around, through PA. See, the problem is that nobody involved is legally able to drive them anywhere in MA to ship them through an FFL. If your dad wants to get a license, then cool, but if not? They're your responsibility. Don't make your dad haul them to an FFL to ship them to you, unlawfully, if he's not into being involved.

ETA: the "easiest" way to do this might be to just sell them to one of us, here on NES, take the money, and buy something out there in WI. One of us (with a license) would need to head over to your folks' house, take possession, accompany your dad to the nearest FFL (with the gats in the licensed buyer's car), and just do the transaction. I think that'd be legal, though a PITA and you should obviously expect to take a big hit on the sale because it's so much work for the buyer.
This is a great solution.

Thank you so much! My dad can do that if he gets a license though right? I think he wanted one anyways so I can help him through the process. Again, great response and ty

Thank you so much! My dad can do that if he gets a license though right? I think he wanted one anyways so I can help him through the process. Again, great response and ty

If he wants to get a license anyway? Then sure, a lot of the problems go away. I wasn't sure about the karmic implications of you pressuring your dad to get a license he doesn't want, since it is a bit of a responsibility.

Once he gets a license (and everyone here will recommend an LTC rather than a FID, since the process and costs are about the same as long as your dad has a clean record), he can hang on to them as long as he wants. Or you can sell them to him. Or he can sell them to one of us. Or he can drive them to an FFL for shipment to you. A lot of the problems go away, like I said.

Don't add anything to your replies OP. Nobody needs to know where your dad is located. Your dad can figure it out by calling licensing officer for interview info.

Don't add anything to your replies OP. Nobody needs to know where your dad is located. Your dad can figure it out by calling licensing officer for interview info.

And/or, if your dad's thinking about getting into The Life, he should get an account here and make himself smart.

The training and fee requirements are the same for and FID and LTC (though a small number of the approved classes are FID only, all the training places that offer the MA course seem to be using the LC one). Unless there is something in your father's background that would cause the issuing authority to rule "unsuitable for an LTC", but not deciding to get a court to rubber stamp and FID denial, he should just get the LTC.

Your dad can figure it out by calling licensing officer for interview info.
Your dad should STFU about the guns in the house.
Your dad should STFU about how you used to have a license.
Your dad should STFU about how you moved out of state without filing a change of address.

Executive Summary: Your dad should just get his LTC and STFU about you and your guns.

Back
Top Bottom