• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Delete

I've only used Thunderbolt ammo in mine and had no issues thus far. Only about 150 rounds though....

What do you lube the SR22 with, how much, how many rounds have you put through it, how well do you clean it, and what does the feed ramp look like?

I never had any trouble with any of those although the thunderbolt is dirty but not as bad as the "golden bullet".

My advice is to polish that feed ramp a bit, keep the gun clean, and lube it up more than normal. I use Mobile 1.

Broke mine in on mini-mags. Will run mini-ags and CCI sv, Federal bulk, automatch and AE, and Fiochi bulk no problem. Will not run Remington Thunderbolt or GB or CCI Blazer at all.

Your results are the exact opposite of mine. It hates Wins and has worked fine with everything else. Guns are weird sometimes.

I replaced my stock plastic guide rod with a metal one and have had no issues since. I feed it everything cheap. It's a great shooter.

I've run Remington, Wincester and Federal through mine with not a hiccup. When my 10 year old son shoots the SR22, he gets FTF because he limp wrists it.

i've put a ton of rounds thru mine..runs everything except the thunderbolt...I did break it in with just mini mags for the first 200rds..
same here. The Blazer runs good but the wax on it does build up if shooting a lot of it. I mag dump with it a lot to test it, That sounded weird, Mag dumping a 22...Haha

What do you lube the SR22 with, how much, how many rounds have you put through it, how well do you clean it, and what does the feed ramp look like?

I never had any trouble with any of those although the thunderbolt is dirty but not as bad as the "golden bullet".

My advice is to polish that feed ramp a bit, keep the gun clean, and lube it up more than normal. I use Mobile 1.

Beware of thundershit. The QC on lots of that stuff is absolutely terrible. Friend of mine has a P22 that we ran like 22,000 rounds of ammo through it, mostly GB. (we used to burn off a brick and a half of 22 every range trip). Actually ran pretty well, for a P22. Then one day we had bought brick of thundershit. Inside of 150 rounds the bullets started coming out sideways, the lead was so soft that it literally clogged up the rifling in the gun. We got a .22 cal bore brush stuck in the barrel at one point trying to clean that shit out. Never again. Or at least, if you have some of it, proceed with caution.

Golden bullet is dirtier, but never saw it clog a gun up like that.

-Mike

I replaced my stock plastic guide rod with a metal one and have had no issues since. I feed it everything cheap. It's a great shooter.

Just curious, where did you get the metal guide rod? I don't have any issues with mine, but having a metal version is always a nice upgrade anyway.

As for the ammo report... I have mostly shot the Remington Golden bullets out of mine and other than a couple of duds per brick, which seems normal for .22s, they run flawless, as does CCI. I won't even bother with Thunderbolts since I've read so many reports of it being generally crappy ammo. I passed on it several times when that was all that was in stock locally. Fortunately I had enough decent .22 in stock that I could afford to be picky.[wink]

Hi everyone. I have a question about ammo, but for whatever reason, my computer won't let me scroll far enough to reach the ammo section...

I have been trying out various ammos for my sr22. I have accumulated many, many rounds of various brands in the past two weeks. My findings are:

Remington Thunderbolts - Terrible. FTF and FTFeed multiple times per magazine. Had to clean out the barrel after one hundred rounds...and I have 1500+ of these...

Remington Golden Bullets - Still terrible. Just as many as the Thunderbolts

Winchester 333 "SuperX"
- Perfect in my gun. Shot an entire 333 bulk pack and not one problem

CCI Stinger - Bad for some reason. Tended to fail to feed

CCI MiniMag - No complaints. One FTF in the box.

Somehow, the Winchester bulk ammo worked better than the CCI stuff I spent a fortune on. Anyone ever found this and how does the Federal bulk ammo run in comparison? If I were to carry this gun with me, I would not feel uncomfortable with loading up the Winchester ammo. Before the CCI even

I have not had any trouble finding ammo for it. Have been finding bricks everywhere I go for decent prices.

Broke mine in on mini-mags. Will run mini-ags and CCI sv, Federal bulk, automatch and AE, and Fiochi bulk no problem. Will not run Remington Thunderbolt or GB or CCI Blazer at all.

These. My exact conclusion as well. I have an older SR22, maybe 3 years old now. Can't ever make it through any Thunderbolts or GB's, but will shoot minimags and SuperX's flawlessly.

I have run about 1K Thunderbolts through my AR with .22LR BCG conversion. Yes it's dirty but I never have had any failure to feed and only a small handful of failure to fire, which is probably due the ammo being soaked when I accidentally dropped the box in the snow and forgot about it for an hour.

My SR-22 runs any "quality" .22 and anything it won't run I chalk as shitty ammo. Anything Winchester or Remington generally sucks, velocity is all over the place and primers are unreliable.

the CCI stinger is too light of a bullet.

i stick w minimum 36 gr. in fact much prefer 40gr in general. cycles better for me. YMMV.

I got my sr22 in late spring 2012. So it is an early production. I have had handful of FTF in about 3-4k rounds but nothing I can attribute to a particular ammo. I have never run thunderbolts so I can't speak to those. CCI are exceptionally reliable. I have a friend who has a 2013 gun that has had a lot of problems. That is all I can add.

Beware of thundershit. The QC on lots of that stuff is absolutely terrible. Friend of mine has a P22 that we ran like 22,000 rounds of ammo through it, mostly GB. (we used to burn off a brick and a half of 22 every range trip). Actually ran pretty well, for a P22. Then one day we had bought brick of thundershit. Inside of 150 rounds the bullets started coming out sideways, the lead was so soft that it literally clogged up the rifling in the gun. We got a .22 cal bore brush stuck in the barrel at one point trying to clean that shit out. Never again. Or at least, if you have some of it, proceed with caution.

Golden bullet is dirtier, but never saw it clog a gun up like that.

-Mike

I just finished up a brick of thunderbolt, mostly with my MK III. Will have to go look in the barrel to see what it looks like. Shot mostly steel with it so no idea how the bullets were coming out. They seemed to be hitting minute-of-steel-plate reliably, so I was happy.

The only problems I had with it were occasionally it would blow not completely unburnt powder on to my hand/arm - in other words flaming hot shit landing on my arm, which as you might expect is kind of distracting especially if you're shooting in a match.

My SR22 was a little finicky new, but after 1000 rounds or so has started eating just about anything...when clean.

When branny new and the rifling was factory sharp, federal automatch lead was clogging up the rifling and a royal PITA for a bit... you literally could not see that it even had rifling in spots. After breaking in I usually only get the usual dud rounds in a bulk box now.

Last time out one of the first mags through it was CCI "quiet", and it ran 10 with no complaints... 325 rounds of automatch, about 100 win super X, and 50 CCI standard velocity later and another mag of "quiet" for comparison and it never got more than 2 in a row out...

admittedly, I avoid Remington TBs and GBs... and CCI stingers run fine

ymmv

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-rimfires/85862-ruger-sr22-ftf-fte-problems.html

Last edited:
I have run CCI and Remingtons through mine with no issues. I had some old PMC that it just didn't like. I have a bunch of Federal Target but I have not tried them yet. I was using up the oldest ammo first.

Just curious, where did you get the metal guide rod? I don't have any issues with mine, but having a metal version is always a nice upgrade anyway.

I have the Galloway Precision stainless guide rod and spring. I remember there were plenty of other options.

all i use in mine is federals. i have a lot of them that ive been buying for a long time....i have a large stock pile of them. never had a problem with them.

bob

Back
Top Bottom