Delays in getting LTC processed?

Hi,
Is anyone else having to wait over 8 weeks to get their ltc processed? What recourse do I have with the state or my town dragging their heels on the processing time? It's been about 10 weeks for me. Unbelievable.

That's the norm in Massachusetts. Get use to it.

My honest, harsh advice is: move as fast as you can. This state is a lost cause.

You can also call your local reps and see if anyone can push a few buttons. The whole thing is political. Get someone with some power to push a thumb on them, and things happen pretty quick.

At the 40 day mark, if you don't hear anything, you can assume you have been denied, and if you have the money, take your city to court.

Hi,
Is anyone else having to wait over 8 weeks to get their ltc processed? What recourse do I have with the state or my town dragging their heels on the processing time? It's been about 10 weeks for me. Unbelievable.

Welcome to NES. Processing delays in Mass are truly the norm. I think mine took 16 weeks or so.

Have you had your interview and finger prints done?

Girlfriend applied back in February. Still nothing. Boston says it's her local PD holding it up, and her local PD says it's Boston.

Hi,

The state is currently at about 8-12 weeks returning most prints to the department, everything else takes about 2-3 weeks depending on how fast they work

Girlfriend applied back in February. Still nothing. Boston says it's her local PD holding it up, and her local PD says it's Boston.

If the FRB is saying it's still at the PD, the PD is most likely waiting for prints to come back from the state, although since February is a long time even for the current delay's.

If you/she has been calling the phone number to check the status at the FRB, I don't think anyone has experienced them BS-ing people, they give you the current status as it is shown in MIRCS. If they say under review by PD, something is delaying it at the PD

If the FRB is saying it's still at the PD, the PD is most likely waiting for prints to come back from the state, although since February is a long time even for the current delay's.
If you/she has been calling the phone number to check the status at the FRB, I don't think anyone has experienced them BS-ing people, they give you the current status as it is shown in MIRCS. If they say under review by PD, something is delaying it at the PD

I believe her prints were already in the system from working at the Superior Court, unless that's something entirely different? She told me that Boston said something about a pending background check? I don't know the full details of what exactly is going on so it's hard for me to say. I do know it's been since February with no clue to what's going on.

Requested appt. on 2-01-13.
The interview, application and fingerprint was on 2-26-13.
My LTC expired first week of April.
I got the call to pick up my Renewal on 5-29-13.
Check has yet to clear that I wrote on 2-26-13.
My town is green.
YMMV....Patience is a Virtue(see QD group buy)

Last edited:
I believe her prints were already in the system from working at the Superior Court, unless that's something entirely different? She told me that Boston said something about a pending background check? I don't know the full details of what exactly is going on so it's hard for me to say. I do know it's been since February with no clue to what's going on.

The PD would still take a new set and send them in as a new applicant, so they would be processed as such, not sure if MSP will realize they've already got them on file or not...

- - - Updated - - -

Pending background check means the PD is still doing her background check, which probably means waiting for the prints, unless they're just slow at sending things off to the state for printing.

Mine took 8 weeks but that was last year. I'd imagine the number of applicants has risen.

Yes. Interview and prints done on Mar. 14th. I was told if I didn't hear back from him in a couple of weeks there should be no problems. Called him twice in the past two weeks with no call back.

- - - Updated - - -

unbelievable. Thanks.

Yes. Interview and prints done on Mar. 14th. I was told if I didn't hear back from him in a couple of weeks there should be no problems. Called him twice in the past two weeks with no call back.

- - - Updated - - -

unbelievable. Thanks.

If everything was submitted in a timely fashion, I suspect everything should be back to the PD any day now, then sent off to the state. SO IF you're PD is efficient sending things around and processing the information, I'm guessing it shouldn't be too much longer.

Maine is worse...sent in my app in january and they just cashed the check two weeks ago. They are saying up to 150 days.

the difference is, you can still own firearms in Maine without the license. You can also visit from MA and just not CC or have loaded in vehicle. Still sucks to wait, but I think they have one woman processing apps for whole state.

Just filed my LTC renewal paperwork with my local PD yesterday. The firearms officer said it would be about 8 to 12 weeks to get my new LTC. She said the state is really backed up on this.

Checked today and was told "(Approved - Pending Activation by FRB) is the status of your LTC."

Congrats!! You're now only 2 to 4 weeks from getting your license! The FRB gives final approval (sounds like that's done) then prints it, batches it up with others going to your PD then mails it to them, then your local PD has to contact you to pick it up or remail it to you.

Gotta love this country.

Back
Top Bottom