• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Delayed response from FBI Check

I just got my LTC-A (no restrictions) last week. It also came with a UPIN. The only way I could foresee a delay would be if the system was overburdened with phone calls (Black Friday, tax free day, Obama Scare just before the election, etc.). Then again if the government is involved......

I was given a pin on my last renewal, without asking for one, as well. My name is not common.

I was delayed - and denied 3 days later. I had my identity stolen by a criminal who used my name as an alias. That was the reason for the denial.

Once you're denied once - you're denied for life. You have to go through an appeal process to overturn the denial. Once that happens then you're in the clear again. But will likely be denied for the same reason next time around. So you should enroll in the voluntary appeal process and get a upin.

In my case:
To appeal the denial took me about 6 months and involved me getting fingerprinted at my local police department and having them send them to the FBI. Then about 6 months later I got the all clear letter and was notified that the FBI informed the dealer they could proceed. (was Carl at FS).

Once that was all cleared up I enrolled in the voluntary appeal file and got a upin. I had to have my police department re-fingerprint me AGAIN and resend to the FBI....... because apparently they don't keep the fingerprints from the original appeal (yea - like I believe the government ever throws something like that away). That took another 6 months. Then the upin letter and vaf letter came from the FBI in the mail.

So all said and told I couldn't buy firearms for about a year... because some dick wad who knew my sister used my name when he got arrested for stealing a car, running from the police, and was apprehended in possession of a class A substance... The story about how New Bedford's finest totally fudged up the arrest process and never properly identified the suspect (who had no ID) is a story I won't bore you with...

Last edited:
I was given a pin on my last renewal, without asking for one, as well. My name is not common.

This is not a UPIN. A UPIN is issued for people in the voluntary appeal file - and is issued by the dept of justice. The pin the state issues with your license renewal is something entirely different. Do not confuse the two. If you indicate you have a upin when buying a firearm and supply that state provided pin you will have an unpleasant experience - most certainly a delay if not outright denial...

Last edited:
This is not a UPIN. A UPIN is issued for people in the voluntary appeal file - and is issued by the dept of justice. The pin the state issues with your license renewal is something entirely different. Do not confuse the two. If you indicate you have a upin when buying a firearm and supply that state provided pin you will have an unpleasant experience.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification!

I was delayed - and denied 3 days later. I had my identity stolen by a criminal who used my name as an alias. That was the reason for the denial.

Once you're denied once - you're denied for life. You have to go through an appeal process to overturn the denial. Once that happens then you're in the clear again. But will likely be denied for the same reason next time around. So you should enroll in the voluntary appeal process and get a upin.

In my case:
To appeal the denial took me about 6 months and involved me getting fingerprinted at my local police department and having them send them to the FBI. Then about 6 months later I got the all clear letter and was notified that the FBI informed the dealer they could proceed. (was Carl at FS).

Once that was all cleared up I enrolled in the voluntary appeal file and got a upin. I had to have my police department re-fingerprint me AGAIN and resend to the FBI....... because apparently they don't keep the fingerprints from the original appeal (yea - like I believe the government ever throws something like that away). That took another 6 months. Then the upin letter and vaf letter came from the FBI in the mail.

So all said and told I couldn't buy firearms for about a year... because some dick wad who knew my sister used my name when he got arrested for stealing a car, running from the police, and was apprehended in possession of a class A substance... The story about how New Bedford's finest totally fudged up the arrest process and never properly identified the suspect (who had no ID) is a story I won't bore you with...

I would just buy used ftf if I was in your shoes.

In my case:

Hmm, I wonder if it was you that Carl sorta introduced me to one day (quite a while ago IIRC) when you were finally able to pick up that gun.

For the last five or so guns I have bought. When they call the fed in they always get a further review and have to hold to speak with someone and give the 2nd person a number that the first gave them. I sweat bullets every time but it always goes through. Just a minute or two delay, but I still hate the uneasy feeling I get when I think it may be this time that it doesnt

Back
Top Bottom