• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

" Delayed " for gun show purchase?

I was at the Manchester show today and bought a new M&P .45c in dark earth color ( for what I thought was a great price ). My back ground check came back " delayed ". I have bought a few handguns within the past year and never had any delay. I always put my SS # on the form. The dealer said it was probably something silly and we agreed I will pick up the gun at their shop next week ( he was confident the delay would be lifted come Monday ). What could cause this? They were extremely busy and I know people were waiting for over one hour for approval.

Get a UPIN. It takes 4-5 months but it allows direct access to a unique profile for you for NICS checks. It makes it far less likely that you'll be delayed.

I was at the Manchester show today and bought a new M&P .45c in dark earth color ( for what I thought was a great price ). My back ground check came back " delayed ". I have bought a few handguns within the past year and never had any delay. I always put my SS # on the form. The dealer said it was probably something silly and we agreed I will pick up the gun at their shop next week ( he was confident the delay would be lifted come Monday ). What could cause this? They were extremely busy and I know people were waiting for over one hour for approval.

NH NICS POC was overloaded. They have like one guy or something working there. I went to Rileys before they closed and they were backlogged, too. Nearly every handgun purchase in the state was backlogged.

-Mike

maybe they know something you are not telling us...(suspense music)[jihad] (jk)

I had my purchase go through smoothly today (Mass. just to rub it in) but I heard about delays at a shop I was in earlier in the day (Middleboro gun shop). I am snuggled up with my new (old) Glock 22 in a nice spooning action....

What causes it? A bloated government bureaucracy controlling your rights as a free man.

I figured it was something like that. [smile]

Get a UPIN. It takes 4-5 months but it allows direct access to a unique profile for you for NICS checks. It makes it far less likely that you'll be delayed.

How would I go about getting one?

I figured it was something like that. [smile]

How would I go about getting one?

Honestly, if this was your only delay, and it happened at a time where you were in another state (one who, as drgrant says, is a POC and has one desk jockey most likely) I would not go through the hassle of getting a UPIN. Now, if you get delayed again in the future, I would go ahead and do it. I got delayed ONCE, and it freaked me out, but the next time went smoothly (and every time after that). A few people here surmised that someone probably got in trouble with information close to mine, and it was cleared up by the next purchase (again, just a guess, but not a terrible one).

NH NICS POC was overloaded. They have like one guy or something working there. I went to Rileys before they closed and they were backlogged, too. Nearly every handgun purchase in the state was backlogged.

-Mike

^ This. I've also had the misfortune to be making a purchase at a NH shop on a gun show weekend. Clerk advised me to go grab lunch and come back because the local system had at least an hour of backlog to get though.

For this particular situation this may be bad advice. If what I think happened, happened, he still would have been delayed anyways, UPIN or not. It sounds to me like they were so bogged down they were just taking the info on each call and delaying them all after a certain point, either because of a lack of staffing or it was more efficient to do them in batches.

-Mike

Honestly, if this was your only delay, and it happened at a time where you were in another state (one who, as drgrant says, is a POC and has one desk jockey most likely)

He was getting a handgun, so he's obviously an NH resident. I think in the case of NH rifles/shotguns purchases the NICS checks for those are phoned into the central
NICS center, like everyone else uses, including MA (Believe it or not, MA is not a POC state). I think NH is the only state in new england that has a POC, actually, and it's only for handgun purchases.

-Mike

He was getting a handgun, so he's obviously an NH resident. I think in the case of NH rifles/shotguns purchases the NICS checks for those are phoned into the central
NICS center, like everyone else uses, including MA (Believe it or not, MA is not a POC state). I think NH is the only state in new england that has a POC, actually, and it's only for handgun purchases.

-Mike

True, but my greater point was that if this is the first delay, and you dont have another one, dont bother getting the UPIN.

-Mike

Yes I am a NH resident. I have purchased handguns in the past year with no delays. What does POC stand for? I am assuming the delay was due to them being overloaded with calls. Thanks for all the input. I have to wait until Tuesday as the gun shop is closed tomorrow. I want my new M&P .45c! [smile]

...What does POC stand for?...

P.O.C. = point of contact = who the FFL calls for the NICS check.

In most (30+) states, the POC is the FBI.

In some others, the POC is a designated state agency (i.e. State Police, Dept. of Public Safety, etc.).

In the remaining states, The FBI is the POC for some transactions (usually long-guns), and the designated state agency is the POC for others (usually handguns).

...I am assuming the delay was due to them being overloaded with calls...

Yup. I agree with ba2 and drgrant. I wouldn't apply for a VAF UPIN based on this one incident, but here's the info for future reference...

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/appeals/nics_vaf_brochure_eng.pdf

...I think NH is the only state in new england that has a POC, actually, and it's only for handgun purchases.

CT is a full POC.

I'm not familiar with UPIN,can anybody school me? Advantages?,disadvantages?

You don't need it unless you get habitually delayed (or worse yet, a false denial!) It's a system the FBI NICS division uses to clear people whose identification collides with known criminals or who have history thats been cleaned up (but the system is too dumb to know that yet) etc.

EG, say there is Joe Smith DOB 4/11/75... and there is another Joe Smith DOB 4/11/75 who happens to be a criminal wanted for a dozen felonies. The two men are different people, but the NICS computer freaks out because at face value the only one it "knows" about is the bad guy. This is also called a "false positive". Normally what happens is it gets bumped up to another NICS examiner at a higher level to untangle the mess to prove that the two Joe Smiths are different. If the good Joe Smith has a UPIN, then the NICS people can use that to reduce processing time to differentiate the two people, instead of them throwing the whole transfer into a wait queue that takes days to resolve or time out.

People often ask, "Why can't they tell the difference, shouldn't they just know who I am?" The reality is that NICS only "knows" felons and lunatics. It doesn't "know" anyone else. There is no "this is a good guy" flag, a proceed is more of a "We can't find any reason to not sell this individual a gun".

-Mike

Last edited:
I get flagged 80% of the time. It used to bother me but now I go to the store expecting to pick the firearm up the following day. I used to be one of the most impatient people alive.....the FBI changed that. My last name is so specific, oh well.

I was able to pick up my new M&P today at Affordable Firearms in Pelham NH. By the time I got there my form had already been marked " proceed ". [grin] I can't wait to go and shoot it! Next stop, MFL.

Why didn't you tell me that was the dealer!!

Really nice guys down there, and if you don't mind the clutter it is a real nice shop to poke around in.

I'm not too far from there.

Back
Top Bottom