Del-Ton Upper Review - Initial Impressions

OK,

So first some caveats:
1) This is my first AR
2) Before today, I've never shot an AR
3) I have no expertise in matters relating to AR's, or really any other firearm for that matter!

So, with that out of the way, here is a review of my Del-Ton upper I received this week to go with my RRA lower. In the pics below you will see it with a DPMS carry handle attached. Ultimately I want to put a Millet DMS on it.

IMG_0227.jpg

1) www.del-ton.com - that's where I got it. The one I purchased is a post ban, 16", A3 style. No special additions, just the standard version. Price=$395+S&H. This is how they describe it:
About
16" Post-Ban Flat Top Barrel Assembly

Includes
Wilson Arms 16" 1x9 twist, chrome molly barrel
flat top upper
bolt and carrier assembly
charging handle
CAR handguards
IMG_0275.jpg

2) The Upper was delivered about a week after ordering, no fuss, just as described. Packing was good and protected the upper well. As received the upper was lightly coated with oil.

3) Fit to my lower: Just like it is supposed to be (I think!). Not tight. Not loose. Pins pop right in like they are supposed to, no problem. No slop in the fit.

4) Finish: The finish was consistent and attractive, but does not match my RRA lower. I think it is just the anodize finish without the Teflon overcoat. It is not the same flat black as the lower:

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

Other pics:

Markings on the upper:
IMG_0263.jpg

Bolt and carrier (showing the staking):
IMG_0268.jpg

Into the receiver from below:
IMG_0269.jpg

Down the bore:
IMG_0273.jpg

Muzzle (about 5degree inverted bevel to protect the muzzle):
IMG_0266.jpg

Results (from a green shooter with iron sights, 100yds, rested on my range bag, 100% hits, Remington 55grn green box (200rnd bulk pack from Dicks):
IMG_0247.jpg

now I need to get some STEEL plates! (yes those all go through 5/8" thick aluminum)

Edit to add:

I was out again today with this setup and I have one other thing to add:

As a reloader, I like guns that have very consistant ejection. It makes gathering up the brass easy. My SIG P226 is great for that. This was the case with this setup also. A nice neat pile of brass about 18inches in diameter formed about 7-8 feet to my left and about 3 feet behind me. A definite plus.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report Matt! A Rep point for you.

I originally ordered a 20" Del-Ton but they emailed me and told me that there was a 20-week backorder on those so I punted and got a DPMS from Midway.

Good luck with it!

Nice review Matt. Glad you like it. I'll have to bring my AR's up for you to try when the weather warms up.

Nice Matt - congrats! Looks like you have a nice ride building up! Can you snap a closer pic of the bolt staking? Now you need to stock up on ammo, ammo, ammo...Sweet. [cheers]

Yeah, that pic didn't come out so well. I'll shoot another tomorrow. The staking is done by pinching in from the outside of the carrier on both sides.

The only problem with stocking up on ammo is buying faster than I shoot is so I have a stock pile! I'll start reloading 223 soon.

Back
Top Bottom