• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dehumidifier for safe

I prefer the golden rod, because otherwise I don't maintain the eva-dry often enough

I used to use just an ev dry when I had a stack-on 14 (I think) cabinet. I upgraded to a bigger safe and found that I had to recharge the eva dry way more often, so I made the leap to a goldenrod. It has been super easy since. I still keep the eva-dry in there since I already own it, but I never need to recharge it.

If I ever had it to do all over again, I'd go straight to the goldenrod. They are about the same price, and there is no need to have both so just save the money and start off where you'll end up.

I use 2 of those ever dry things.. I have to re charge them every month or so they keep my safe down to about 40% I like them

I have a rod and about 8 small Zerust pods in mine. Similar safe. Certain long guns are in silicon socks. I way over did it, but I’m happy.

I also have personal papers on one shelf, and the Zerust pods are known to make papers turn yellow, so I purchased a “fireproof” that zippers and velcros closed to help mitigate the risk of that.

Small safe, Stack on 18 gun, says 7.28 cu ft.
Should I just get an eva-dry or something else?

EVA-DRY E-500 RENEWABLE MINI DEHUMIDIFIER

https://gadgetscomparisons.com/best-gun-safe-dehumidifiers/#
Best Gun Safe Dehumidifiers : Eva-dry E-500 Renewable Mini Dehumidifier
The Eva-dry E-500 renewable mini gun safe dehumidifier comes in a brand-new design in the market. The product is also referred to as a non-powered dehumidifier for a gun safe or cordless dehumidifier for gun safe. The main reason for it is that it does not use any type of battery or power source and works in complete silence. This makes it user friendly and perfectly suitable and safe for the environment. It is best suited for you if you do not have a power outlet nearby gun safe or you do not want to drill holes to make a way out for cord from gun safe for power connection. I suggest you Read More for much more information about gun safe dehumidifier

Small safe, Stack on 18 gun, says 7.28 cu ft.
Should I just get an eva-dry or something else?
I will recommend this:
If you can buy smaller safes/storage for items you use often. Stuff that does not see use is best put in a locker and limit the air exchange every time you open the cabinet/safe.

I use these

they also have small strips to use in the bore and bags are good for long term storage.

I like the rechargeable moister absorbers for back up.

i have something like this, think I bought mine from hardware store 20 years ago?

Also another thing to do is get the environment around your storage area in check.
A vapor barrier between the floor and storage unit can play big , especially on concrete.

Last edited:
Got one of th

EVA-DRY E-500 RENEWABLE MINI DEHUMIDIFIER

5 Best Gun Safe Dehumidifiers Reviews and Guide for 2021 | Reviews
Best Gun Safe Dehumidifiers : Eva-dry E-500 Renewable Mini Dehumidifier
The Eva-dry E-500 renewable mini gun safe dehumidifier comes in a brand-new design in the market. The product is also referred to as a non-powered dehumidifier for a gun safe or cordless dehumidifier for gun safe. The main reason for it is that it does not use any type of battery or power source and works in complete silence. This makes it user friendly and perfectly suitable and safe for the environment. It is best suited for you if you do not have a power outlet nearby gun safe or you do not want to drill holes to make a way out for cord from gun safe for power connection. I suggest you Read More for much more information about gun safe dehumidifier
Got one

I got a pretty old golden rod from someone here maybe 7yrs ago and it still works great.

I'm come to hate ever Dry because... When you take them out and plug them in, they take forever to dry!

I now use silica Canisters Amazon product ASIN B003QZ6PZ0View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QZ6PZ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and a few jars of the reusable silica. Amazon product ASIN B013L2Z2MYView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013L2Z2MY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Every few months, I pull them out and stick them in the over for a few hours. Easy Peasy.

Another option. Put safe where it stays dry.

Sometimes I get it's not an option but man is it nice to have a safe in a dry finished room, with heat & AC, a bench to work on stuff and places to store ammo, parts, all the eratta right there.

I get even a dry basement could get humid at times, but if the outside of your safe is getting rusty IMO its an unacceptable area.

Another option. Put safe where it stays dry.

Sometimes I get it's not an option but man is it nice to have a safe in a dry finished room, with heat & AC, a bench to work on stuff and places to store ammo, parts, all the eratta right there.

I get even a dry basement could get humid at times, but if the outside of your safe is getting rusty IMO its an unacceptable area.
Goldenrod works best in a relatively dry room, it doesn't remove humidity, just averts condensation.

Mounting 15W of LED light strip across the inside bottom wall of your safe (wired as always on) will accomplish the same thing, and provide light too!

I do a few things. I live on cape. I live in sand. Good drainage but humidity is a real issue. Even in the winter when its 25 and snowing off cape its 39 and raining here. I have a dehumidifier going in my basement. I sealed my walls and floors. I'm in the foundation repair business so I have been trained by a few companies that make way better stuff than dryloc. I also use the goldenrod. I maintain a 28 to 35 percent humidity year round in the basement. Inside the safe is probably just a bit better.

Goldenrod works best in a relatively dry room, it doesn't remove humidity, just averts condensation.

Mounting 15W of LED light strip across the inside bottom wall of your safe (wired as always on) will accomplish the same thing, and provide light too!

Ya I bet. I more put that post up because sometimes folks essentially drop a safe in a wet basement and then start looking for magical solutions.

Back
Top Bottom