Defensive Shooting Clinic-10/6/07 - AAR

Uh... guys? Remember how I said I twisted my ankle last week and was using a cane during the class? I just went to get it x-rayed this afternoon since it was still hurting a week later...

And I either win the "dinosaur-like pain threshold" award or the "How stupid are you to go shooting on a broken ankle" award for Saturday. Yup, broke one of the bones... I don't remember the precise name for it, but it's on the outside of the ankle and apparently only holds 12.5% of the body's weight.

I see the orthopedist tomorrow morning. [rolleyes]

Hey, at least I got to go shooting. [smile]

It didn't look like it bothered you too much on the line.

If it did, you could have sat on my shoulders.

Just remember, shooting downhill, deduct 10% from the range!

Uh... guys? Remember how I said I twisted my ankle last week and was using a cane during the class? I just went to get it x-rayed this afternoon since it was still hurting a week later...

And I either win the "dinosaur-like pain threshold" award or the "How stupid are you to go shooting on a broken ankle" award for Saturday. Yup, broke one of the bones... I don't remember the precise name for it, but it's on the outside of the ankle and apparently only holds 12.5% of the body's weight.

I see the orthopedist tomorrow morning. [rolleyes]

Hey, at least I got to go shooting. [smile]

jeeze, I hope they don't have to operate - you can't afford to get any shorter... [smile]

seriously, though, you win my Tough Guy award of the month - keep us posted.

jeeze, I hope they don't have to operate
Unlikely; they said it's already starting to heal, and it's a "non-displacement fracture" - which I think means that I broke it but it didn't need to be set. I hope.
you can't afford to get any shorter...
Yeah, then I'd be an elf. [rolleyes]
seriously, though, you win my Tough Guy award of the month - keep us posted.
I'm still leaning towards the "How stupid are you to go shooting on a broken ankle" award.

Damnit, it just didn't hurt THAT much... isn't a broken bone supposed to be excruciating? This is merely painful with occasional episodes of "Oh, sh** that hurts".

Are you sure it was not from the extra brownies you ate??? That extra weight on that ankle may have just put you over the limit [wink]

Seriously, I hope you get well soon.

Sorry to hear that Ross. Hope they set you up and it heals OK.

Just found out that I have Bronchitis. But I'm glad that I too survived Saturday and Sunday (had to be outside in the bone-chilling cold for >1 hour).

A post-script to this class...

During the class, we were showed a way for folks who are "cross eye dominant" (Is that the right phrase? Doesn't sound right... anyway, for right hand shooters who's left eye is dominant) to shoot with the dominant eye, basically cocking the head just enough so that the sights are seen by the left eye, but the right eye can't see them.

I had a graphical example of how well that training worked for me yesterday. I was up at Blue Northern looking at a Para Covert Black Carry. I did my usual "hand check" to see how well it fit in my hand, and how well it pointed for me. So I bring it up, and I was a little disappointed to realized that the sights were way off of what I was trying to aim it at... until I realized that the sights were perfectly aligned with my LEFT eye!!

From the practice at this class ALONE - I haven't been shooting since because of the broken ankle - it seems to have drilled that new habit into me.

Color me impressed. [grin]

Eye Dominance

Thank you very much for telling your story about eye dominance. It is these kind of experiences that make our classes very worthwhile for the instructors.
For those of you that occasionally comment about learning how to shoot on your own, give this some thought. You will not find this kind of info in a magazine article or many books. We deal with this issue regularly in classes.

Back
Top Bottom