Defensive Knife, Firearms Retention & Disarm Training Courses

Well, I do have a pink knife.

Delica008.jpg

I'm down for a full-length class or two in both topics. With the rave reviews from the shorter classes, I wouldn't hesitate taking a full day class. Keep us posted please!

I would give serious consideration to the full length knife class. Not interested in the snubby class personally.

-Cuz.

I should clarify:

I'd be interested in the firearms retention and/or concealed carry and also the defensive knife classes. [grin]

Same here. I have taken the snubby class. Also I think it would be easy to find a location for the folding knife and the retention class. Any good size room would do. No range needed. I will call today and begin the process, work has just been crazy busy the last few days. I will get the info and post it here. I am only trying to facilitate this thing. Once we have the info it will be up to all of the interested parties (and Michael) to work out dates, time and location etc. I just really want to take the full day class of either or both.

Well, I do have a pink knife.

Delica008.jpg

How funny would it be if we all showed up to the class with pink Delicas?

For those of you who weren't at his GOAL clinic, one of the first things he did was have us all place our knives on the floor so he could make fun of them and point out features he doesn't like. I'm sure he does that at the beginning of his full length class too. That would be pretty short lived if he's looking at a floor full of shiny new pink folders!

On that note, I have to share with you guys - I went into the city for a haircut and shave yesterday. I'm lying back in the chair, resting my hand on my left pocket, which contains my folder. The barber is reaching around my neck, holding a straight razor to my throat, and all I can hear is Michael's voice in my head, screaming "Cut his balls!"

I know, sick, isn't it?

He prefers the Syderco, as it has the large thumb opening that can be used by both hands.

He mentioned the pink one as being the less offensive looking to a jury than someones black (name your brand).

Did he specify any particular model such as the delica or just spyderco in general... I've got the full size Spyderco Manix folder and it's a beast - built like a tank -- I was just curious as to whether or not he had a size, blade shape preference etc.

Thanks for the reply

Did he specify any particular model such as the delica or just spyderco in general... I've got the full size Spyderco Manix folder and it's a beast - built like a tank -- I was just curious as to whether or not he had a size, blade shape preference etc.

Thanks for the reply

Cuda,

For the class you'd be using his trainers, not your own knife. In other words, don't buy something for the class. You may revise your knife choice afterwards anyway.

Like Cross-X said, Michael recommended small (less than 3"), straight edge, and a triangle shaped blade. He said the Spyderco Delica is his fav model because it has those features and the large circular thumb rest to open the knife with.

Oh yeah, and pink for reasons Jaxon mentioned.

Cuda,

For the class you'd be using his trainers, not your own knife.

I figured as much. Using real blades could make for painful training [laugh] I was just curious because I already own the Mannix for reasons other than personal defense; it's a great all-around-I'm-lost-in-the-woods-folder-knife. I was wondering what he recommended in terms of size because it doesn't take much blade length at all to make someone say "ouch" let alone kill if it came to it. I'm a firm believer that one can never have enough quality knives, especially in a survival situation. This is just an excuse to add another to the tool box. [wink]

Thanks for all the input everyone. Any other additions are appreciated, also!

Just a quick tip. For those of you that may not have any Spydies take a look at Spyderco's Byrd line. Some are very similar to Spyderco models at much, much better prices. If you just want to see if you like the Spyderco I'd recommend starting here. Unless $75+ for knife is no big deal for you.

The Meodowlark model is very, very similar to the Delica and can be had for less than $20. The Robin is the copy of the Spyderco Dragonfly. I've got several of each and carry one everyday. I've used Spydercos forever and now have drawer full of Byrds. Clips on, clips off, FRN for lightness, SS for weight, etc. I'd go broke doing this with Spydies.

I just lost an older Spyderco last weekend out on the boat (climbing back in and had it clipped to my waistline). It would have pissed me off ten times as much as it did if I didn't know I could replace it with a Byrd (with a better clip) for $20.

They are not the same top-notch quality as Spyderco but they are close. I'd say about 90%. I'd never buy another Delica for $50.

-Derek

Also, I am very curious what Mike's reasons were for a plain edge versus a serrated?

All of my knives are 1/2 and 1/2. The serrations are very useful day to day.

-Derek

Also, I am very curious what Mike's reasons were for a plain edge versus a serrated?

All of my knives are 1/2 and 1/2. The serrations are very useful day to day.

-Derek

Same reason as pink. The sort of drones who get picked for juries tend to get frightened by serrated blades, black stocks and the word "semi-automatic", among many other things. As a rule, they're not sufficiently practically-oriented to recognize the utility of something as a justification for commoners to carry or possess them.

Ken

Same reason as pink. The sort of drones who get picked for juries tend to get frightened by serrated blades, black stocks and the word "semi-automatic", among many other things. As a rule, they're not sufficiently practically-oriented to recognize the utility of something as a justification for commoners to carry or possess them.

Ken

Makes sense.

Interestingly enough I was just recently one of those drones on a stabbing case. Certainly not done in self defense though. The defense described the serrations as RIGID and did try to make it a bigger deal along with the large size of the knife. I was the only one on the jury that had the first clue about knives. The victim only had two small puncture marks and the rest of the jury could not see how an old, $5, beat-up, dull, never sharpened folder with a big 5" blade when waived anywhere near the victim could have ONLY made two small marks, even with a sweatshirt on. If it wasn't some scumbags pocket knife I considered marring myself with it to prove a point.

My point is, they figured anything that looked like that was deadly and evil no matter what. And that was with a terrible, court appointed lawyer. I was there to convince them otherwise but that info in this case was used to prove him guilty, not innocent.

Ken

Ken,
I thought he liked the straight blades because they were easier to keep sharp. Even for us lazy folks...

-Cuz.

I received this response from Michael DeBethencourt today:

"Dear Steve:

I hope this note finds you well.

Re. your question about willing to do a class fo the NES guys, Hell yes!

Give me a call.

Yours,

Michael"

I will give him a call and get some more info.

Hey Steve -

Any word on the class?

-C

Back
Top Bottom