• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Defensive Knife, Firearms Retention & Disarm Training Courses

Cross-X

Shooting at the big range in heaven
Dealer
NES Member
The Gun Owner's Action League Foundation in Northboro, Massachusetts, is hosting two courses taught by nationally known firearms and defensive knife trainer, Michael Debethencourt (www.snubtraining.com).

Firearms Retention, Disarming and Recovery -- May 17, 2007

Defensive Folding Knife -- June 5th, 2007

Courses will be held at the GOAL office in Northboro.

For course details and signup information, visit http://www.thegoalfoundation.org/courseschedule.htm

I just signed up for both. If you are a GOAL member these classes are a hell of a deal. Even if you are not a member they are a bargain. So for you guys who bitch about the cost of training and/or time committment these two classes are perfect. Four hours on a week night for $40. You cannot beat that!

Last night was as interesting and informative as I expected it to be. My thanks to GOAL for arranging and hosting this course. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Last night was as interesting and informative as I expected it to be. My thanks to GOAL for arranging and hosting this course. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Hey, I was there also. Man, that was one fantastic class. Bar none it was the best class I have ever taken. I am going to sign up for the full length class just to review and get some more. I can't wait for the folding knife class next month. You just do not know what you do not know.

By the way I was the large fellow in the sweatshirt. I was late Steve.

I was there as well! Great class, outstanding instructor and it was FUN! It was very interesting to see how training had progressed since my day (man, that always sounds so old... [thinking] )

Anyway, I'm in for the knife class next month and hope to see NES members there.

I was the younger bearded one. [smile]

Hey, I was there also. Man, that was one fantastic class. Bar none it was the best class I have ever taken. I am going to sign up for the full length class just to review and get some more. I can't wait for the folding knife class next month. You just do not know what you do not know.

By the way I was the large fellow in the sweatshirt. I was late Steve.

I think all three Steves were late. [grin] I was the fellow with the long hair. I'll see you (and probably a few more NESers) at the next class.

The Folding Knife Class!!

I'll be at the folding knife class. Looking forward to it.

It was great! Lots of NES'ers there... Why is it we're always the ones with guns? [shocked]

Michael is a great teacher and we learned an important technique. As it employs major anti-man surgery, I won't go into details.[smile]

It was fun and informative. Oh, and Christopher (livinlawatertown) wore "soft tap shoes"... Go figure. [laugh]

It was great! Lots of NES'ers there... Why is it we're always the ones with guns? [shocked]

Michael is a great teacher and we learned an important technique. As it employs major anti-man surgery, I won't go into details.[smile]

It was fun and informative. Oh, and Christopher (livinlawatertown) wore "soft tap shoes"... Go figure. [laugh]

I wonder how the conversation ran between Steve's two daughters? "They wanted you to do what? My class was nothing like that!"

For those of you who simply must have your very own pink Delica, Spyderco just did a run of 1000.

My thanks to GOAL for arranging these two classes.

Really wanted to take that one but chose Saturday's class with Saurez instead. Two in four days time is too much for the fam. Hopefully Goal sets up another one soon. There isn't one on the schedule.

First of all, they are NOT “soft tap shoes,” thank you very much. They’re gym shoes I use for Muay Thai & BJJ; I figured we might be rolling around with knives, and I didn’t want to tear anyone up wearing a pair of hiking boots. Besides, my Banana Republic “BDUs” made me look like a badass, so that made up for it.

However, all joking aside, this was a FANTASTIC class, and I’d highly recommend Michael De Bethencourt’s classes – I’m planning on signing up for his full length knife class some time soon.

Some high points from the class:

Lecture on the use of deadly force. I’ve never heard this subject addressed, and Michael made some very good points. For anyone who owns or carries guns, knives, or any other deadly weapons, it’s very important you’re well versed in the limitations of deadly force. One particular point of interest – a knife is a deadly weapon, and in order to employ it you must justify the use of deadly force, exactly the same way you justify employing a firearm. You don’t “kind of” stab someone, just the same as you don’t “kind of” shoot someone.

A pink Spyderco Delica is a very effective weapon, both in employment and justification (what is more defendable in front of a jury - the pink handled 2.5” straight edge Spyderco that looks like it came out of my mother’s makeup bag, or a 3 7/8” half serrated, half straight, recurved edge of the black handled Emerson Commander?).

Speaking of which, DR, where can I get one of those? Didn’t see them on the website.

And finally, You don’t need to know a million different moves or be a Jedi master with a knife to efficiently and effectively defend yourself with one. There is ONE answer which can be employed from nearly every position and every situation which will quickly and efficiently solve your problems, and it involves a slice from the bum to the belly button. Don’t ask me to justify it, just take a class with Michael, and it will all make sense.

Speaking of which, DR, where can I get one of those? Didn’t see them on the website.

It figures that the guy with the tap shoes wants a pink knife. [grin]

There are a few of them on eBay. It's a limited run so they probably won't be on the website.

However, all joking aside, this was a FANTASTIC class, and I’d highly recommend Michael De Bethencourt’s classes – I’m planning on signing up for his full length knife class some time soon.

+1 on that. I want to take Michael's full length knife class and the firearms retention class. I was blown away by both of the GOAL sponsored classes. Time and money very well spent.

On a different note I must say that I feel so much closer to the NES folks that were there, and I do mean "closer". I think Jaxon could of at least bought me dinner and some flowers! LOL! You guys that were there know what I am talking about.

On a different note I must say that I feel so much closer to the NES folks that were there, and I do mean "closer". I think Jaxon could of at least bought me dinner and some flowers! LOL! You guys that were there know what I am talking about.

[shocked] I offered. [laugh]

Last edited:

+1 on that. I want to take Michael's full length knife class and the firearms retention class. I was blown away by both of the GOAL sponsored classes. Time and money very well spent.

Who else? I'm certainly interested in taking the full-length version of both of these. If we can get a critical mass together perhaps we can get him to put on a couple of NES classes. His website doesn't list either of them in Mass through the end of the year.

Last edited:
Who else? I'm certainly interested in taking the full-length version of both of these. If we can get a critical mass together perhaps we can get him to put on a couple of NES classes. His website doesn't list either of them in Mass through the end of the year.

If Michael has the time, I'd call for booking a new GOAL/NES course. I'd be totally into that. And not just to be "closer" with you guys, either, Goose. :/

A pink Spyderco Delica is a very effective weapon, both in employment and justification (what is more defendable in front of a jury - the pink handled 2.5” straight edge Spyderco that looks like it came out of my mother’s makeup bag, or a 3 7/8” half serrated, half straight, recurved edge of the black handled Emerson Commander?).

Just spotted on on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Spyderco-Delica...1QQihZ008QQcategoryZ63800QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Plus, if Goal books this again I'd be in.

I took it upon myself to email Michael DeBethencourt the following:

"Michael, Steve Goselin here. I was in the two classes that you taught at GOAL recently. First and foremost let me say that both classes were absolutely outstanding. You do your job exceedingly well. Thank you.

Now to my inquiry. I was one, of at least four, in attendance who are members of the Northeast Shooters Forum. Everyone posted positive reviews and we all expressed an interest in taking your full day class in either/both Folding Knife and Firearm Retention. So the question was raised whether you would consider doing a class or classes for NES? Is this something that you even consider given your busy schedule? If so what are your requirements such as minimum number of participants, location, cost etc. I have taken it upon myself to contact you about this matter and I do not represent NES, but since the discussion has been up and there is some interest I figured I would run it by you. I look forward to your response. Be well, Steve"

I took it upon myself to email Michael DeBethencourt the following:

"Michael, Steve Goselin here. I was in the two classes that you taught at GOAL recently. First and foremost let me say that both classes were absolutely outstanding. You do your job exceedingly well. Thank you.

Now to my inquiry. I was one, of at least four, in attendance who are members of the Northeast Shooters Forum. Everyone posted positive reviews and we all expressed an interest in taking your full day class in either/both Folding Knife and Firearm Retention. So the question was raised whether you would consider doing a class or classes for NES? Is this something that you even consider given your busy schedule? If so what are your requirements such as minimum number of participants, location, cost etc. I have taken it upon myself to contact you about this matter and I do not represent NES, but since the discussion has been up and there is some interest I figured I would run it by you. I look forward to your response. Be well, Steve"

Thanks Steve. I'd be surprised if we can't scare up at least another four people to take the full length versions.

Forget about ebay. I just bought mine from KnivesPlus:
http://www.knivesplus.com/spydercoknifesp-c11ppn.html
They have them in stock for $52 which is much less than they've been selling for at ebay auctions. People were paying $70 to $100 on recent closed ebay auctions. At KnivesPlus you are limited to 2 per person.
Enjoy,
-Cuz.

I ordered two last week from www.knifecenter.com for $46.95 each, but got an email stating that they were backordered. Last night I received a notice that one was now being shipped. I have not followed up yet on why only one. Perhaps they are limiting also?

I received this response from Michael DeBethencourt today:

"Dear Steve:

I hope this note finds you well.

Re. your question about willing to do a class fo the NES guys, Hell yes!

Give me a call.

Yours,

Michael"

I will give him a call and get some more info.

I hope Michael has changed, but I approached him (in person, via Email and via phone) a number of times over >6 months to do something with NES (in our fledgling days) ~2 years ago.

I finally gave up on him due to lack of follow-up on his part.

I do hope that he's changed!

I hope Michael has changed, but I approached him (in person, via Email and via phone) a number of times over >6 months to do something with NES (in our fledgling days) ~2 years ago.

I finally gave up on him due to lack of follow-up on his part.

I do hope that he's changed!

Well Len, I am a lot cuter then you so I certainly expect a little better outcome. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom