• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Defending against knife attacks

I don't know how to post a video on here, does anybody remember the Jim Carey from "In Living Color" skit where he's a martial arts instructor teaching women how to defend themselves against a knife attack? It was hilarious....

In martial arts training I would have the students used sidewalk-chalk (various colors) instead of a rubber knife and mark up the white uniforms to signify a "cut". Within a few minutes, everyone was standing there like rainbow bright.
In the service, we used shoe polish on sheathed bayonets and trained shirtless.

I was telling a buddy of mine that the guy who killed 6 family members in Penna yesterday went to carjack a guy by pulling a knife on him.
The person he attacked pulled a gun and shot at him [laugh2]

I said it was a good thing that he had a gun.

My buddy said "it is easy to defend against a knife attack" he feels you don't need a gun to do it. Myself at an out of shape 61 with very bad knees (I can't run anymore) if I was attacked by a 6' 2" 22 year old indent on doing me harm with a very sharp tactical knife I don't think it would be "easy" to defend myself.
I know for a fact that this guy has never been mugged or attacked but he knows it all, I don't think he has even gone to self defense classes or knife fighting classes, oh and he is 67 and not in the best shape.

What is the feeling of NES'rs to my mind it is not that easy to defend against a knife attack especially if the person wants to hurt of kill you and isn't just using the knife to scare you.

Ask your buddy if he wants to test his theory with a Shock Knife. I'd have him in tears in 10 seconds. Probably 5.

Since he's your buddy, let us hope he never encounters a real life demonstration of his error.

Shout "Knife-free zone!" He'll have to drop it.

On a more realistic note, what is the consensus on passive defenses like a thick leather jacket or vest? It won't stop a determined knife thrust but will it prodect from slashing?

The prevailing wisdom is run TOWARDS a man with a gun, and AWAY from a man with a knife. With a knife, distance is your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone loves to tout the Tueller Drill, but to me it doesn't mean a gun is ineffective within 21 feet. It just means I need to hone my situational awareness and practice my draw faster and faster. It means I need to train more.

I'm not saying it's possible or impossible for a gun to defeat a knife, just that anyone who carries should practice dry firing and draw/acquire/fire drills in their home at least once a week.

It takes more than that. I think it was Gabe Suarez who taught us that UNLESS you get OFF the "x", you will get cut!

So not only is it shooting skills, but it is also "don't just stand there" skills that need to be practiced. Most clubs don't allow this however so seek out one that will let you practice.

Back
Top Bottom