• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Deerfield Police arrest Illinois man, seize handgun

All he had to say was "no sir there are no firearms in my vehicle or illegal substances, articles, and/or affects." and all they would have done is towed his car to an impound. Whata mook!

Police typically “inventory” (aka, search) a car prior to towing it. While he should have kept his mouth shut, I don’t think that would have saved him.

I understand. But towing to a police impound is different from an area tow.

Those times I have been towed (accidents, mostly) have been to the tow operators yard. TTBOMK they never inventoried the vehicles. Is this different today?
My wife's car was towed after an accident in Milford, and the company did an inventory. They found her pocketbook in the trunk and had it bagged, tagged and inventoried in the tow office.

I know a couple of people who were stopped, but renewed using their smart phone (at the officer's suggestion). They got neither a citation nor a tow. Those were local officers, not state police.

As to the guy from IL, it's important to know the laws of states you might be traveling to. Of course it's important to be legal in your own state as well, but that's a different story.

The vehicles registration was expired.
It doesn't matter what state it was from, you can't legally operate an unregistered vehicle on any public way in the country.
He could have been stopped anywhere, it just happened to be Mass where he was caught.

I know a couple of people who were stopped, but renewed using their smart phone (at the officer's suggestion). They got neither a citation nor a tow. Those were local officers, not state police.

That is exactly what happened to me. Got a written warning only. That said, I could have received a citation and a tow.

My wife's car was towed after an accident in Milford, and the company did an inventory. They found her pocketbook in the trunk and had it bagged, tagged and inventoried in the tow office.

I was involved in an accident 3-4 years ago in Holliston where they towed my car while I got the mandatory ride to the hospital in the ambulance. There was no inventory done, though we went to the tow company the next day to retrieve everything from the car. Amazingly enough everything was still there.

early 80s.. I was young.. probably 14 yrs old.. riding around my hometown of East Boston with my 18 yr old cousin from CT.... little did I know his car was unregistered and he had a bit of weed in the car.. like personal use stuff.. not enough for selling or anything... would be "legal" today... anyway.. cop pulls us over.. "L&R?" no registration obviously. pulls him out and puts him in the cruiser... then he gets in the drivers seat of the car and starts searching.. finds the rolling papers then starts peppering me with "where's the reefer"... he never found any, and let my cousin and I go with a "get the damn car registered"...

now that I'm older, I think about this and wonder if the cop had any right to do what he did. That day, I was scared shit.. more about what my parents would do though..

early 80s.. I was young.. probably 14 yrs old.. riding around my hometown of East Boston with my 18 yr old cousin from CT.... little did I know his car was unregistered and he had a bit of weed in the car.. like personal use stuff.. not enough for selling or anything... would be "legal" today... anyway.. cop pulls us over.. "L&R?" no registration obviously. pulls him out and puts him in the cruiser... then he gets in the drivers seat of the car and starts searching.. finds the rolling papers then starts peppering me with "where's the reefer"... he never found any, and let my cousin and I go with a "get the damn car registered"...

now that I'm older, I think about this and wonder if the cop had any right to do what he did. That day, I was scared shit.. more about what my parents would do though..
Since the car was unregistered, he could have towed it and done an inventory search.

They generally don't search the whole vehicle unless they suspect you have something. Especially when its -5 degrees out. That's why they ask about valuables or weapons. If the kid answers "no" to that question convincingly, the firearm would more than likely be sitting under the seat still at an impound.

As far as calling IL i would imagine it was to see how hard/if at all they wanted to come down on him for the firearm. Contrary to popular belief on this forum most LEO in MA aren't looking to jam someone on transport laws if your licensed in another state. Once they found out he wasn't licensed that is a different story.

Back
Top Bottom