Deerfield Police arrest Illinois man, seize handgun

Curious why DPD would call IL. If the kid was in violation of MA law and was going to be arrested, why bother to call IL? Whats it matter if he would of been breaking the law there?

Curious why DPD would call IL. If the kid was in violation of MA law and was going to be arrested, why bother to call IL? Whats it matter if he would of been breaking the law there?

If they were going to hang him on the magazine capacity anyway I don't know. Contacting the origin state may have had them looking in to FOPA if the driver was just passing through. If it was loaded in the passenger area of the car he has other problems, too.

Firearm Owners Protection Act - Wikipedia

Only thought is FOPA, but the article was short on details. If the firearm was in a locked case, in which case they were actually doing their job instead of just ignoring the law and charging him regardless.

If they really called his home PD I'm guessing one of the LEOs involved had a misconstrued notion of how FOPA actually works. Maybe they mistakenly thought that it provides total immunity if the persons situation is legal in the state of origin....

Sucks to be this guy, he basically talked himself into handcuffs, from the
sounds of it. Not to mention had he been carrying the gun concealed on his person instead of doing the ghetto life seat thing, he could have said "no, not that I can think of." his car would have been towed and that would have been the end of it.

-Mike

Only thought is FOPA, but the article was short on details. If the firearm was in a locked case, in which case they were actually doing their job instead of just ignoring the law and charging him regardless.

Doesn't sound like it was in a case...

The operator reportedly told officers he had a Glock handgun under the driver's seat

Probably just haphazardly tossed under there, most cars these days, unless you have a truck or an SUV, don't have a space big enough under the seat to actually keep something in a lockbox.

-Mike

Nope, FOPA is very particular about how things are transported. No indication that he had TWO cases, one for the unloaded gun and the other for the ammo. No idea why they made the call but this guy seems to be nowhere near FOPA compliant.

On the FOPA, thing, maybe a quick check for political reasons. If he was a "good guy" who just messed up FOPA, assuming MA wasn't his destination, and they ran him through the ringer, it'd be more fuel for the federal reciprocity train. Turned out he wasn't legal at home, either, and they'll run him through the ringer without a peep of protest. End of story?

Aside from the possibility of looking in to FOPA, there's a chance they were considering not jamming him up on the gun charges if they found out he was a decent guy who just didn't realize he was afoul of MA law.

May be difficult to believe, but I've been pulled over when violating MA statute in regard to possession and transportation of certain weapons and after promising I'd head straight home and square things away, sent on my way with nothing more than an explanation of what laws I was breaking.

Last edited:
I have a hunch why they called his home PD.

I think if he was legal to carry in his home state, Deerfield would have cut him some slack.

Turns out he didn’t even have a CCW at all.

This man makes legal gun owners look bad and could cause trouble for people on the fence regarding national reciprocity.

Maybe he should carry one of Penny Dean’s business cards that had instructions on dealing with police on the back.

This man knows nothing about his rights.

Although this guy is guilty of violating mass law, I hope he gets off and sets a precedent whereas good people don’t get convicted of similar “crimes”.

All he had to say was "no sir there are no firearms in my vehicle or illegal substances, articles, and/or affects." and all they would have done is towed his car to an impound. Whata mook!

I think if he was legal to carry in his home state, Deerfield would have cut him some slack.

Sounds plausible. Wish we knew more details about the stop. He was on Rte 5, possibly heading into (or coming from?) Vermont 10 miles north where he would have been legal. Putting the apparently sloppy mode of transport (re: FOPA) aside for a moment, if he were coming from or traveling to a free state (into or from VT), he would have been okay... but why call his home state? Perhaps to establish if he would have been okay through reciprocity with a different free state as a starting or end point?

It does kinda sound like the cops were trying to cut the guy some slack.

You don't get towed to a police impound lot for a defective light and expired registration.

It would have been an area tow to a private lockup. He'd have taken a hotel room, worked out the registration long distance, fixed the light and give on his way.

However, he did find a great way to get free room and board for a while.

Though this guy isn't the brightest lamp in the string.
He did follow what is written in our constitution.
Unlike our politicians and law enforcement!

Traveling to a state without knowing the firearm laws..Not a smart thing..
Opening your mouth to law enforcement and allowing a full search of your vehicle without a warrant..Pretty dam stupid!

This man makes legal gun owners look bad and could cause trouble for people on the fence regarding national reciprocity.

Maybe he should carry one of Penny Dean’s business cards that had instructions on dealing with police on the back.

This man knows nothing about his rights.

Although this guy is guilty of violating mass law, I hope he gets off and sets a precedent whereas good people don’t get convicted of similar “crimes”.

Sounds like he might have been cut some slack if home state compliant. For example, Louisiana considers your car to be an extension of your home. Keeping a loaded pistol in your glove box or elsewhere stored in your vehicle is AOK. Illinois? LOL, that guy was asking for it.

Towing an out of stater for expired registration is shitty, however.

A friend in Belmont had his car towed for an expired registration and he was only 2 blocks from home. I think they called for one of two reasons. Either they were looking for more to charge him with or wanted to cut him some slack.

One would hope that because he answered truthfully the intent was to cut him slack.
One does not live in La-La Land however, so this might not be the case.

Who knows... I know a person who was "cut slack" in RI and told to get in their car and go straight back to MA for carrying on an MA LTC in providence.... but this is definitely a YMMV situation.

Mike

All he had to say was "no sir there are no firearms in my vehicle or illegal substances, articles, and/or affects." and all they would have done is towed his car to an impound. Whata mook!

Nope, they would have done an "inventory" search before they towed, found the gun, then jammed him up more for lying.......

The Granby MA cops had my sister's car towed for an expired registration, and she's a local resident. Their story was that an expired reg equals no insurance, so she was a danger to the motoring public.

Why would the car be impounded for a traffic infraction?

The vehicles registration was expired.
It doesn't matter what state it was from, you can't legally operate an unregistered vehicle on any public way in the country.
He could have been stopped anywhere, it just happened to be Mass where he was caught.

I understand. But towing to a police impound is different from an area tow.

Those times I have been towed (accidents, mostly) have been to the tow operators yard. TTBOMK they never inventoried the vehicles. Is this different today?

At least once, btw, an officer did let me go on an expired reg. It was many years ago, though, and I didn't look like such an ahole back then. These days I'd do hard time for spitting on the sidewalk.

I got pulled over this summer after working a double, pouring rain, cop tells me reg is expired thought for sure I was screwed and was going to be standing outside in the rain for a while until my car was towed. Told me to take care of it asap but told me if a statey got me on the highway they would tow me. Figured if i drove speed limit in the slow lane on 495 that would seem out of place to a trooper and they would pull me over so I drove as recklessly as possible to fit in with everyone else and everything worked out, made it home and renewed it online

story my wife told me yesterday at the store.... guy from Maine tries to buy ammo.. Cashier asks for LTC to which Mainer responds I have a Maine CCW permit or not needing one as he's from Maine.. something like that.. Cashier calls wife over and wife explains that the store cannot sell ammo to someone without a MA LTC... guy continues to argue and wife stands her ground.

So this moron decides to lift his shirt and show his CCW, saying something to the extent about not needing a permit or some bullshit... Well, an undercover Foxboro PD officer happened to be in the store... umm ended as a bad day for the Mainer.. arrested, probably not seeing a judge until Tuesday... Wife got interviewed and asked if she ever felt "threatened", presumably to up the charges from possession without a license to A&B-DW...

oh the stories I hear from her about those uneducated on the firearms laws of our neighboring states...

the way I read it is this. The PD was going to cut him a break if he was legal in his home state. I couldnt think of another reason why the would want to call his home state other than this. When they found out he wasnt legal at home, they had no other choice to do what they did.....Maybe they were just practicing for NATIONAL RECIPROCITY ???

Back
Top Bottom