• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Deer season starts in 2 weeks!!

I haven't been practicing at all with my bow. Guess I'm waiting until shotgun season...

Nice Buck.
I get some bucks like that on my cam in my yard but just like in your pic, they only seem to cross between midnight and 3 AM.
I still have 6-7 pounds for ground in the freezer, need to make a big pot of chilli.

This is one of my favorite, but not biggest, pics.

232323232%7Ffp432%3B5%3Enu%3D3254%3E63%3A%3E388%3EWSNRCG%3D3257%3A98834328nu0mrj

Last edited:
Nice Buck.
I get some bucks like that on my cam in my yard but just like in your pic, they only seem to cross between midnight and 3 AM.
I still have 6-7 pounds for ground in the freezer, need to make a big pot of chilli.

This is one of my favorite, but not biggest, pics.

232323232%7Ffp432%3B5%3Enu%3D3254%3E63%3A%3E388%3EWSNRCG%3D3257%3A98834328nu0mrj

nice!!

i have a pic or video setting on my cam, 1st one i have had, on vid mode it doesn't seem to take vids unless your inches away, however that is when it take night pics. on pic mode it takes great daytime pics but i didn't get any night pics...lol i'm trying again on pic mode to see if i will get the night pics in the same location as the pic i posted. ANYHOW, going by the night/day pics the bucks are coming out at night right now and the does are coming out during the day. good thing i got tags for both!!

most cams default to pic mode if not enough light for video.
The real nice cams, $350+, have led lighting for night time video capture.
My battery died over the summer, just got 2 new rechargeables in last week. Need to get it out there soon to see whats happening.
I also have tags for both and our family motto is "brown down"

most cams default to pic mode if not enough light for video.
The real nice cams, $350+, have led lighting for night time video capture.
My battery died over the summer, just got 2 new rechargeables in last week. Need to get it out there soon to see whats happening.
I also have tags for both and our family motto is "brown down"

mine is a cheapo i got to see how they work. i was also afraid it would be stolen since i'm using public lands, so didn't want to pay much.

i hear what your saying about the light but whats funny is it didn't show any vids during the day except my coming and going and night pics. but on pics setting i AM getting day shots, you would have thought i would also have had day vids.

anyway my 1st cam is working out better than i thought it would and knowing the deer are there sure beats showing up to hunt and wondering.

The cams bring a whole new element to it. They are great. I too only have one cheapo but I love it. I could easily run 5-10 of them.

I've got a nice 8pt that goes right under my stand. Hopefully Columbus Day is his last.

Went out scouting yesterday and found a couple fresh scrapes. Kinda early for that, I thought? There were deer droppings nearby, too.

I saw the beginnings of two scrapes in my stand area on Saturday. They were not there the week before. My cam is now pointing right at one so hopefully I get some nice pics this week. One scrape was the same spot as last year's.

Had a nice camera shot of the buck the first or second week of September and he still had full velvet.

mine is a cheapo i got to see how they work. i was also afraid it would be stolen since i'm using public lands, so didn't want to pay much.

i hear what your saying about the light but whats funny is it didn't show any vids during the day except my coming and going and night pics. but on pics setting i AM getting day shots, you would have thought i would also have had day vids.

anyway my 1st cam is working out better than i thought it would and knowing the deer are there sure beats showing up to hunt and wondering.

Someone snagged my cam last year in the woods behind my house. It was way off the beaten path along a run that I know Deer use. Not sure how someone saw it or why they snagged it. What pissed me off the most was that I had a 1gb card in there with a bunch of great pics it had taken pre-season. Not to mention all I wanted to see was what deer were using that run and what time. I still want to beat someone's ass for that..

Someone snagged my cam last year in the woods behind my house. It was way off the beaten path along a run that I know Deer use. Not sure how someone saw it or why they snagged it. What pissed me off the most was that I had a 1gb card in there with a bunch of great pics it had taken pre-season. Not to mention all I wanted to see was what deer were using that run and what time. I still want to beat someone's ass for that..

yep there are a holes out there everywhere. thats why i got a cheap cam and i got a bear box for extra protection. if they really want it, they can still get it, but at least it will make them go home first to get tools.

maybe i'll head out this afternoon and check on it again.

Yeah that sucks and is a real risk. I like to think most hunters are good guys, ethical, etc. but I just don't think that is true. There are way too many yahoos out there. Especially in public land areas. We actually had a big 12 point (that we put down) stolen from us a few years back.

I just had a group of hunters encounter my camera and stands two weeks back. We crossed paths on my way in to check it. They were setting up their stands in my area. Although they pulled the card and looked at the pics, they left the camera and set up their stands to not interfere with mine. Overall I was happy with that. When I first came upon them in the woods I anticipated a problem...

If the animals are only moving at night then you need to get further along on their path so that when shooting light arrives they have not already gone through. Get to them before they bed and play the wind right. As the rut approaches you may not see any deer on camera, but if you find does there will be at least one buck around.
Public land is tougher to hunt but if you know where the other hunters come in you can use them to push the deer your way. They will get skittish real fast with all the commotion (scent too) in the woods so if you know where they were last year then you are one step ahead of most of the others.

If the animals are only moving at night then you need to get further along on their path so that when shooting light arrives they have not already gone through. Get to them before they bed and play the wind right. As the rut approaches you may not see any deer on camera, but if you find does there will be at least one buck around.
Public land is tougher to hunt but if you know where the other hunters come in you can use them to push the deer your way. They will get skittish real fast with all the commotion (scent too) in the woods so if you know where they were last year then you are one step ahead of most of the others.

in the last couple of weeks during the day i have shots of does and a 4 point buck. during the night (cam set on vid) is when i got the 8 pointer and another 4(? hard to tell) pointer.

since i did not get any day vids with the cam on vid, i changed it back to pic setting to see if that changes. the daytime of the does are in a different spot than the daytime of the buck and both are in a different spot than the night time bucks. right now as i said i changed the setting back to pics and it is in the same spot the night time bucks were taken. this way i can see how the cam differs between the settings. if i get daytime pics then i know the vid setting isn't getting the daytime vids. and the closeness of the game might be an issue.

in any case all the spots i have tried with the cam have shown deer and all the spots are in the edges surrounding the same clearing. the spot i am at now with the night time bucks has droppings and acorns so if i get some day pics out of it, and even if i don't, it looks like the place for me to start this year.

i didn't get a chance to check it yesterday (Wed) but will either today (Thur) or on Friday.

Well I just went out back and checked my stands. Food trails running by.
I set my cam up and we'll see what comes up.

Do you guys use any Deer Co-Cain or C'mere deer? I've been trying the Deer Co-cain to create mineral spots but it seems to work best pre-season and in year 2 if you keep up with it. Anyone have any experience in attractants other than scents that seem to work shorter term?

Do you guys use any Deer Co-Cain or C'mere deer? I've been trying the Deer Co-cain to create mineral spots but it seems to work best pre-season and in year 2 if you keep up with it. Anyone have any experience in attractants other than scents that seem to work shorter term?

thats a no go in MA.

From the abstracts:

prohibited:
Baiting wild birds, bear, or deer. This does not apply to the hunting of crows.

thats a no go in MA.

From the abstracts:

prohibited:
Baiting wild birds, bear, or deer. This does not apply to the hunting of crows.
It is only baiting if used during the hunting season. You could make a mineral lick in the ground early in the year and hunt that area too. Just no blocks or anything else on that spot 2 weeks prior to the opening day of the season. You can grow a food plot and hunt over it as well.
A bucket of apples under your treestand during the hunting season will get you in trouble quick. With that said, you could dump apples in the woods in the same spot all year and hunt that if you stopped putting apples down 2 weeks prior to the season.

Back
Top Bottom