• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

deer scat question

so i was just walking in the woods and came across an obvious place where deer have been bedding down. In the area i found a bunch of HUGE ( what i think are ) deer scats .. they are like big logs of pellets packed together .. like a banana, and there is a few of them all with in a few ft of each other. then there is more but they are more like plops .. like a cow no pellets just plops .. i guess my question is .. is this the sign of a HUGE buck ? Is there scat different than a does ? i have a pic that i took ill post in a little bit as soon as i figure out how ~ thanks

What I have understood is as a bucks testosterone levels change to shed his velvet (right around now) it causes changes to his digestion so that his feces clump together instead of dropping in individual pellets. The pellets are still there but they are all stuck together.

DeerScat01.jpg

0001-scat.jpg

Last edited:
pics would help, but in general
View attachment 20566
Buck scat
sign1.jpg

Doe
images

Moose

@ arlow and boghog ... BINGO .. thats exactly what i saw ! looks just like that .. theres 3-5 different droppings, this is in a spot where its basically a safe haven ( no hunting allowed ) so i figured it was a mature buck if not just a buck but my lack of experience ... what i darg theres no hunting there !

What I have understood is as a bucks testosterone levels change to shed his velvet (right around now) it causes changes to his digestion so that his feces clump together instead of dropping in individual pellets. The pellets are still there but they are all stuck together.

I wonder if the same thing happens in humans? Sounds like constipation...

:)

@ arlow and boghog ... BINGO .. thats exactly what i saw ! looks just like that .. theres 3-5 different droppings, this is in a spot where its basically a safe haven ( no hunting allowed ) so i figured it was a mature buck if not just a buck but my lack of experience ... what i darg theres no hunting there !

That may be his safe haven but when the hormones get rolling he, like most bucks, will leave that safe haven looking for love.

Bob

Ive seen clumps of scat like that in the spring also....I dont think it has anything to do with shedding velvet on antlers or even sure if its definatly a buck for that matter. Things I have read say size of dropings arent much of an indicater of anything, its just what they've been eating.

Back
Top Bottom