Deer Question

I have never been deer hunting before nor known anybody who has. However, this year, I am going to give it a whirl. This weekend, I began scouting out potential hunting grounds and found many deer droppings and some tree stands.

Question is, around Eastern or Central Mass, how much time should I expect it to take to see a deer? Will it take several 12 hour days? Or if it takes that long, should I find a new spot?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

IMHO.That is a question with to many questions before answers.Its not as much location of state ,but action of hunter.Go in stinking like human you'll never see one,and also go in all good by nature and you still might not. If it's something you want to do go in and do it.It's like fishing,even the best get skunked.Just enjoy the outdoors, do your homework ,and hopefully you'll get what your after.GOOD LUCK!!
Also,where there's not much daytime deer movement early season(pre-rut),doesn't mean they won't be there during the rut.Don't just give up on a spot cause you haven't seen early season activity.The seasons almost three months

Last edited:
I agree, there are too many unanswered questions. It is also very important to stay still in your stand, watch the wind, dont over call, dont put out the wrong (or too much) deer or cover scent, make sure you have used scent control measures, and be quiet....with all that being said I usually see deer in my stands every morning or night . They may not be right under me. It may only be a glimpse 100 yards away but I usualy see deer. If I am not seeing deer in an area I will usually move after using that spot 2 or 3 times. The difference here is these are proven spots that I know hold deer from years and years of scouting and hunting. If it looks promising sit there longer, as one famous hunter said "I'll get a deer from this stand, all I have to do is sit here for the next thousand days straight"

It's taken me many years and I still have never got a deer. I am just one of those people that cant stay still very long. I like turkey hunting better anyhow!

Do I need a deer stand erected in a tree, or is a folding chair on a hill good enough? Also, sounds like you are advising purchasing these scent control products, correct?

Finally, if another hunter erects a tree stand on public property, but is not using it that day, can I not use it?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Here in NE we have about the lowest # of deer per square mile compared to just about anywhere else in the Whitetail's range. You absolutely must be patient, and as also said, be quiet. Comfort and warmth while sitting is very important, if you are not comfortable, or you are cold, you are not going to be still or quiet. being quiet includes when you walk in to your stand, so have your route all planned out. Ideally you should be on your stand already when daylight is half an hour away.
It can take more than a day to see a deer. But you might also luck out, and be one of those people who walk in the woods and have 1 or more show up within 10 minutes. If you know you are in a good spot, then just be there and be patient. There is really no predicting how long it should take, because so much of it depends on you.
The best frame of mind to be in, when you hunt, is to understand 1 simple fact, which is that for however long you've been out there, the deer you are going to shoot can suddenly appear in just a few more minutes. This is absolutely a fact. Once the rut get going, there are as many bucks shot at mid day as there are early or late. Breaking for lunch-heading out of the woods to go eat-during the rut is not a very smart move. But a lot of people do it anyway.

Do I need a deer stand erected in a tree, or is a folding chair on a hill good enough? Also, sounds like you are advising purchasing these scent control products, correct? Finally, if another hunter erects a tree stand on public property, but is not using it that day, can I not use it?
Sitting on the ground is perfectly acceptable but being in a tree has definate advatages; you can see further, deer dont see you as readily as if you were on the ground, your scent disperses better, and it tends to make you sit still longer. I absolutely advocate scent control products, its not a gimic they work and I have dozens of deer to prove it. Finally, it is in very bad form to sit in someone elses tree stand with out permission wether on public land or not. It may be one thing of it is an old grown in or home built that obviously is neglected (MAKE SURE IT IS SAFE FIRST!!!!!!) but never in a new or maintained stand

Back
Top Bottom