Deer Hunting & Rifles

You can use both sabot slugs and rifled slugs through your gun, and to be honest if you only shooting under 100 yards then using the cheap remington sluggers will be fine. Check into it. I mostly shoot rifled slugs, and have my scope adjusted to them. When I go to shoot sabot slugs I have to adjust my scope.

Interesting. I'll have to look into it. I've got two 15rd boxes of Winchester rifled slugs...

Interesting. I'll have to look into it. I've got two 15rd boxes of Winchester rifled slugs...

Your going to have to clean it a lot more to keep the lead fouling out of the barrel. I would stick to sabots. Not only will they be more accurate as they are designed and the proper size to conform to the rifling but most are also better designed projectiles and travel faster giving you better accuracy, range and performance apon impact.

I myself have one rifled barrel gun I use for stand hunting and another smoothbore I use for stillhunting or drives.

You can cast your own sabots out of wheel weights. I know someone who will out shoot most people with a scoped rifle and he uses slug gun with sabots.

I would certainly prefer rifle hunting, but live in the People's Republic, so I am thinking I will go black powder. (Frankly, the substantial $ it would cost to hunt with a rifle out of state is too much just to relearn how to find deer this first year back after 25 years absence.) Guess I'll have to get close.... if I remember how that is. JR

Last edited:
The modern muzzleloaders can be good for 100-250 yards; that's plenty for in the woods. Make that first shot count is all.

I'm just starting out so have only hunted from treestands, and don't know if I trust myself to still hunt and take a quick shot with either shotgun or BP. Thinking about it though. When this heat wave subsides, I may get to the range and do some practicing.

I did get to the range with the Enfield. As usual, at 55gr of FF, the first cold clean barrel shot was a foot low, the second dead on, then the next 2 would group fairly well (that is to say 4-6 inches at 100 yards). Then they would start to string down ward. I clocked them at mid to high 900 fps. At 60gr of FF they would run 50fps faster (1025 avg), but create an occasional "keyhole" shot way off the mark by a 12-16". The bullets may have come apart on those occasions. I am weighing and examining all my cast bullets to choose the ones that came out as perfect as possible, because there may well have been a couple I shot that were flawed. I am still probably limited to 55gr though with this type bullet, the skirts being so thin. I sure don't want to start back hunting to only miss, or even worse, wound an animal.

JR

I enjoy the different weapon seasons and do each. I also can understand/respect the dense population reasoning.

But then why can I use my AR-15 in .223 with a 30 round clip on a coyote? Or even a .22 rifle at times (which I was once told could shoot a mile if aimed at a 45 degree angle) when I'm 500 feet from a dwelling.

I'm not sure how I feel about going after raccoons in the dark with a shotgun?

I don't get it.

Don't forget the .444 Marlin or 45-70 Govt for bear season!

Back
Top Bottom