Deer hunting question

I have my ltcA, have taken a bow hunters safety course as well as held a bow hunting license in the past, before obtaining my ltc. Do I need to take a hunters safety course in order to obtain a hunting license in Ma? Since its kind of late in guessing an I better off hunting RI? Prefer to stay in Mass, last I checked Mass is more affordable. Thank you in advance

If you have had a hunting license in the past, from any state, then I believe that should be sufficient to get you a new license.

Yes, you need the hunters safety course before you can obtain a license and hunt Ma.

The hunter safety course can be taken in another state and Mass will accept it. I will say that it is best to take it here as they cover the laws for the state you take it in.

It can be really hard to get into a class as they fill up quickly. The closer you get to the season the faster they fill up. If there is a full class near you you can try and show up the first day and see if the instructors can accommodate you as there are often people who do not show up.

Bob

If you have had a hunting license in the past, from any state, then I believe that should be sufficient to get you a new license.
This. You do not need to take a class. If you can produce a past hunting license from any state you can pick up this years license here in mass.

I asked because I was told the basic hunter safety covered archery, however i was unable to get into one at the time. So instead I took a RI archery course and the educated employee at dicks sporting goods accepted it and issued me a mass license with a buck and two doe tags if i remember.

I asked because I was told the basic hunter safety covered archery, however i was unable to get into one at the time. So instead I took a RI archery course and the educated employee at dicks sporting goods accepted it and issued me a mass license with a buck and two doe tags if i remember.

It depends on the state and how licenses are purchased.

In Massachusetts there isn't a separate archery license so the hunter safety course covers both. In Connecticut the gun hunting license is separate from the archery hunting license so even though I had been hunting for years in Massachusetts I had to take the bowhunting course before I could get my archery hunting license in Connecticut.

The employee at DSG made an error but you should be in the system because you had that sporting license.

Bob

Last edited:
If you had a MA sporting license you should be in the system and not need the HE course. Try the online app and if that doesn't deliver, I'd go to one of the Fish & Wildlife offices. Just tell them you had the MA license previously and don't get too specific about the training.

Back
Top Bottom