• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Deer calls????

Yup...didn't get the rattlers because I have a bag filled with actual cuts of antlers, but the extinguisher call is worth its weight in gold around here simply due to the fact that our calls freeze up so much. On the extinguisher, when your call freezes up (from hot breath and moisture then allowing to freeze in cold air rendering the diaphram useless) simply slide the lever back and forth a few times and return to the desired setting...VIOLA!

certain levels of call are better than others, though...play around with it before you get into the woods.

called in a nice big doe with mine the first day i took it out last year.

good luck to you...i'm being forced to take the year off due to the chick being on rotations at school, so you can have my deer :D

... On the extinguisher, when your call freezes up (from hot breath and moisture then allowing to freeze in cold air rendering the diaphram useless) simply slide the lever back and forth a few times

So it does work? Cool. I'm ordering one, so I don't end up calling ducks in. Thanks

I've NEVER had a deer come straight into a call. I've had them stop and look around curiously, then circle around down wind of the sound and consequently bust me.... But I've NEVER had a deer just come into a call.... any call... I have ruined many hunts trying them. I don't carry one anymore.

I'm on public land. Your experiences may vary on private.

I have had them stop, turn, and come in to a call. I don't rattle or call blind though and prefer to let things happen naturally. If I see a deer and he/she isn't coming my way I will call to try to turn the deer. You have nothing to lose at that point anyway and it has but a couple of deer in the freezer for me over the years. I carry the extinguisher call and a fawn bleat which works on does during early season. The doe in heat can call has given me the best results during the rut. Public land deer get educated very very quickly.

Bob

Went by a horse farm in s.e. Ma. Last nite around 2am, and the field was full of animals ,

at first glance, I thought it's kinda strange to have the horses out at this time.

I slowed down to get a better look, it was over 10 does.

could be a good year for you locals .[grin]

Call arrived. Seems quality. I like the range of it, and you can get some volume out of it without it becoming distorted.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Call arrived. Seems quality. I like the range of it, and you can get some volume out of it without it becoming distorted.

You don't usually need a lot of volume out in the still, quiet woods. The sound travels a lot further than you think and deer have excellent hearing.

You don't usually need a lot of volume out in the still, quiet woods. The sound travels a lot further than you think and deer have excellent hearing.
I'll be using the fawn bleat to call in bear during the colder part of the season

I'll be using the fawn bleat to call in bear during the colder part of the season

Yep, bears aren't hard of hearing either.[wink] They can hear as well as deer, maybe even better because they are omnivorous predators.

When I hunted in Maine, I could hear people talking in a normal voice outside for over two miles. You could hear the swish of a crow's wings flying by several hundred feet away. Sound carries a long way with no background noise.

Back
Top Bottom