Declaring a firearm

jhagberg88

NES Member
to all,

here is something ive been thinking about alot lately after a friend of mine had a very simliar occurence.

1. do you have to declare a firearm to a LEO if he say pulls you over on a routine traffic stop.

2. ive seen in new hampshire they dont have to provide identification, is that the same in MA in relation to giving your license and LTC?

3. what is the best way of declaring a firearm to a LEO if it is law to do so.

to all,

here is something ive been thinking about alot lately after a friend of mine had a very simliar occurence.

1. do you have to declare a firearm to a LEO if he say pulls you over on a routine traffic stop.

2. ive seen in new hampshire they dont have to provide identification, is that the same in MA in relation to giving your license and LTC?

3. what is the best way of declaring a firearm to a LEO if it is law to do so.

There is no legal requirement to declare in Mass.

Last edited:
Say "Officer, I just want to let you know, because if I was a cop I would appreciate knowing regardless of the circumstance, I am an unrestricted Class A license holder and I am currently carrying." I used this one twice without problems. One of those times the LEO didn't even ID me after.

1) Shout "I HAVE A GUN!"
2) Reach for your waist
3) ???
4) Profit!!!

Note: May result in getting shot.

I am always sure to keep both hands firmly on the wheel and not reach for my wallet/glove compartment until after I have declared to the officer. The longest time I had to do this for was when I was moving addresses and had all my weapons in locked cases unloaded in the backseat of the pickup truck and was pulled over for one of the two rear license plate bulbs being burned out. The officer walked up and saw the gun cases and didn't even come to the window. I had to wait for backup to arrive and cover me from the other side of the vehicle... it was a perfectly pleasant interaction as he ran my license after that however waiting there with hands on the steering wheel was not.

I wouldn't tell the officer unless it was obvious that it would be spotted, or I was asked to leave the vehicle. I guess it would depend on the town a bit too, but why give them a reason to dig deeper?

I wouldn't tell the officer unless it was obvious that it would be spotted, or I was asked to leave the vehicle. I guess it would depend on the town a bit too, but why give them a reason to dig deeper?

Yup. Unless the law requires it or the officer tells me to get out of the car, I keep my mouth shut.

Back
Top Bottom